DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Reports are still coming in but a man has firebombed Kyoto Animation Studios and has killed at least 33 people.  The arsonist who apparently shouted "Die" and "Drop dead" before setting the fire, is in custody.   

FYI, arson is punishable by death in Japan.

• Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Reports are still coming in but a man has firebombed Kyoto Animation Studios and has killed at least 33 people.  The arsonist who apparently shouted "Die" and "Drop dead" before setting the fire, is in custody.   

FYI, arson is punishable by death in Japan.

I heard the report on NPR on the way to work.  A horrible and tragic event.

And yes, Arson Not Resulting In Death is punishable by death in Japan, especially if the structure that was destroyed served as mass transport or a dwelling.

Anything that endangers human beings on mass transit systems in Japan is likely to earn you a trip to Death Row.  That's why the leader of Aum Shinrikyo / Aleph is now worm food. 

Choosing the subway system to be his symbolic target would've earned Shoko Asahara a Death Sentence on its own, but the resulting casualties guaranteed it.

There are some accounts that say that the suspect shouted "Shinu!" (ie. Die!) before igniting the flammable liquid he poured on the floor, so there is evidence that the guy set the blaze in order to kill people rather than destroy property.  if this ever goes to trial, he's as good as dead.

If he "mysteriously" succumbed to his injuries while in the hospital, I would not be surprised.  Sad to say that the Japanese do like their problems tied off with nice little bows. 

Edited by J.T.

Took the kids you see the new Lion King.  If you want to see this for the quality CGI and lifelike animals, absolutely. That was quite amazing. But if you're interested to maybe see a new spin or something, don't. It's almost a shot for shot remake, but with the updated CGI. There are a few small updates, but otherwise even the script is the same down to the word for I'd estimate 90% of the movie. Not saying it's bad, because it isn't. The original Lion King is a great film, so this would have to be since is the exact same thing. Just saying if you're looking for anything other than updated animation, maybe stay home and watch the original again.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:14 PM, Casey said:

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot is a really jumbled up movie. There's the flashbacks to the story of Sam Elliott's character in World War II killing Hitler, the actual hunt for Bigfoot, a subplot about the main character and his brother (played by Larry Miller), and another subplot about Calvin Barr (Elliott) and his "lost" love from before he left for WW2. If they could just focus on one or two plot threads for the entire movie, this would have been really good. Why are the brothers so distant? It never really explains that. The love storyline is confusing as all fuck, or maybe it's because I watched it at 3am.

The WW2 parts were pretty cool, especially the gun bit. I wish that was the movie, but I understand that's the backstory to set up why the government wants him to track Bigfoot. Speaking of Bigfoot... it looks more like a caveman zombie than what we've been taught to think Bigfoot would look like.

Overall, it's not a C level movie like I was expecting. It's more drama than anything else, which surprised me given the title, and most of the "action" happens towards the last back-half with the Bigfoot, and even then it only lasts for maybe 10 minutes. It's basically a bunch of existential stuff, like how soldiers deal with relationships and what they did in combat when they come back home. Which is fine, but I don't know if the Bigfoot plot was needed. Sam Elliot's Calvin Barr being the man to kill Hitler, and living with that secret for all of these years, and how he deals with relationships like with his brother, and the girl he wanted to marry, was probably a better way to go than what ended up happening in this movie.

I watched this on a flight last week and enjoyed it, I can see how someone wouldn't like it since it's not what you think it's going to be and it's kind of depressing. You're correct that the love storyline was confusing and I kind of think that was on purpose. 

I definitely enjoyed it, but it also definitely wasn't what I expected it to be just from hearing the title of the movie and knowing it's Sam Elliott in 2019 with his questionable choice in roles.

Went to try and take at least one thing off my Shudder list tonight and managed to get rid of this delirious mashup of The Warriors and Escape from New York. As soon as I saw the murderer's row of Italian sleazemeisters on the credits (it's even written by Dardano Sachetti, and directed by Enzo G. Castellari of the sued-to-oblivion Great White) I knew it was gonna rule, and it does. Fred the Hammer Williamson chews the scenery and Vic Morrow as a character named Hammer chews even harder. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Well that's both incredibly shitty and not terribly surprising.

It's Disney standard practice.  Rocky Horror is exempted from this rule, as are Fathom Events.

Beyond Outrage was on Shudder so I finally got around to that one too (yes, a Japanese Yakuza film. Obviously not everything on there is Capital-H Horror). This is only the second Beat Takeshi film I've seen; the first one was Violent Cop but that was sooooooo sloooooooooow that I couldn't get into it. This was far more entertaining. Basically it follows the twists and turns of shifting alliances between two yakuza factions (and eventually three) with a shitty organized crime cop behind a lot of the machinations. Beat is locked up for half the movie but he gets out and the revenge starts ratcheting up with some particularly inventive bits of violence, like a guy tied to a chair in front of an automatic baseball pitching machine... nasty. This one seems to move at a far more brisk pace than Violent Cop, even though it's long it doesn't feel it, and everyone who deserves to get it gets it -- big time. Well worth the watch. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:51 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Beyond Outrage was on Shudder so I finally got around to that one too (yes, a Japanese Yakuza film. Obviously not everything on there is Capital-H Horror). This is only the second Beat Takeshi film I've seen; the first one was Violent Cop but that was sooooooo sloooooooooow that I couldn't get into it. This was far more entertaining. Basically it follows the twists and turns of shifting alliances between two yakuza factions (and eventually three) with a shitty organized crime cop behind a lot of the machinations. Beat is locked up for half the movie but he gets out and the revenge starts ratcheting up with some particularly inventive bits of violence, like a guy tied to a chair in front of an automatic baseball pitching machine... nasty. This one seems to move at a far more brisk pace than Violent Cop, even though it's long it doesn't feel it, and everyone who deserves to get it gets it -- big time. Well worth the watch. 

Did you see the first Outrage? Because it's fucking awesome.

Nope, never did get to see it (it was at Rentertainment out here before they closed down but I never rented it). Unfortunately Outrage and the last one aren't on Shudder. All of the Kinji Fukasaku Battles movies are on there though so I just watched Final Chapter (I've already seen Battles and part of Deadly Fight in Hiroshima, back when Rentertainment WAS still around). Oh, and the other Beat Takeshi movie on Shudder? Violent Cop. Of course haha

They're getting rid of Bad Dreams, Ravenous, I Saw the Devil, and some others so I need to pick those off fast (luckily I've seen the latter two already).

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nope, never did get to see it (it was at Rentertainment out here before they closed down but I never rented it). Unfortunately Outrage and the last one aren't on Shudder. All of the Kinji Fukasaku Battles movies are on there though so I just watched Final Chapter (I've already seen Battles and part of Deadly Fight in Hiroshima, back when Rentertainment WAS still around). Oh, and the other Beat Takeshi movie on Shudder? Violent Cop. Of course haha

They're getting rid of Bad Dreams, Ravenous, I Saw the Devil, and some others so I need to pick those off fast (luckily I've seen the latter two already).

I did the free trial for Shudder just to see mon mon mon Monsters a couple months ago. It was worth it, but at the same time, most of the films I want to see I can readily watch on probably two or three other services. That one just happened to be an exclusive.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, Doc Townsend said:

Been watching a lot of John Woo lately.   Watched Face/Off last night.  Yeah, boy, that did not hold up well.  Cage and Travolta seemed to be holding a competition to see who could be more over the top, the supporting characters barely get names, and that plot....  So many plot holes.  It may be the worst plotted film I've seen recently, and I watched Keanu Reeves in Replicas a few weeks back.  And I was sure Travolta's character having a scar near his heart was going to be a plot point (probably the way the character's wife recognized her real husband).  Nope.

On the plus side, it's apparently cheap and easy to get a total face transplant.  Who knew.

For some reason, the prison where they made the inmates wear magnetic boots made me laugh.  And it was still really easy to escape from that thing.

Watching Hard Target this weekend.  Marginally higher hopes for that movie, though it stars Jean-Claude Van Dam and Yancy Butler - neither of whom can act.  Although they'll probably chew less scenery than Cage and Travolta, both of whom were respected actors at one point.

I still relish the fact that I saw ConAir and Face/Off in the same summer in the same crappy theater (it was one of the last theaters around that didn't have at least some semblance of stadium style seating) in 1997. Right after I had graduated high school and was about to go to college. I was basically cramming all the fun I could have with my friends who were going to other colleges into that one summer. We still reminisce about The Summer of Cage!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I did the free trial for Shudder just to see mon mon mon Monsters a couple months ago. It was worth it, but at the same time, most of the films I want to see I can readily watch on probably two or three other services. That one just happened to be an exclusive.

I happened to watch mon mon mon Monsters a few years ago when I was covering afilm festival. Really fun movie.

I'm Shudder for life as long as Joe Bob Briggs keeps putting doing shows.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I just looked up Face/Off on wikipedia and somehow it's at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What do you mean “somehow”? Face/Off is fucking awesome.

• Like 3

Travolta talking about it on Inside the Actor's Studio was great. Talking about how easy his job was, and how he felt bad for Cage. Something to the effect of "he gives me so much stuff to do, and I don't really give him anything to do while he's playing me"

• Like 1

It's been posted on here before but now seems as good a time as any to post the hilarious clip where Jim Norton, in the space of about 37 seconds, completely changes Patrice O'Neal's opinion on Face/Off. Patrice O'Neal's laugh gets me every time. But, yeah, the creepy face brushing thing, the doves, the magnetic boots, I'M NOT CASTOR TROY, I wanna take his face...off, the different body shapes...it's all discussed:

DUDE, I THINK THAT MOVIE DID STINK!

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 2