DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Former MLB pitcher Jim Bouton passed away yesterday at 80. You cannot overstate the importance of his first book, "Ball Four"... baseball's first real "shoot" memoir, and one that all but blacklisted him with the Yankees for decades. An absolute must-read. RIP.

• Sad 2

While I can buy Marisnick's rap that he was trying to evade to the inside and get on the opposite side of where the play is going to be, he never really looks like he is attempting to slide. He gets low, and then it looks like the shoulder comes down to absorb whatever impact is coming. I certainly don't think that he was trying to hurt Lucroy, but it looks to me like he was definitely trying to blow him up. The rule doesn't ban contact with the catcher, just that the runner cannot "deviate from his direct pathway to the plate to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate)"  His direct pathway initially is being blocked by Lucroy, who doesn't yet have the ball, nor is he attempting to make a play on the ball, so by my interpretation, he is in violation of the rule and the base should be awarded to Marisnick. In this situation, Marisnick's "direct pathway" doesn't take him to the first base side of the dish except for the fact that he made it that way. Since the baserunner dictates his own basepath, and that path doesn't exist until a play is attempted to be made on the runner, I think that the rule is being interpreted incorrectly and the MLB is dropping the suspension on him to send a message about staying the fuck away from any collision.

It's kind of an unfortunate situation in more ways than just Lucroy's injury, because the way the play unfolded there was nothing that either guy could do about the contact happening.

It's been applied unevenly since its institution, so there's no news there, just another situation where the league doesn't do a motherfucking thing about something unless an injury is involved. On the field anyway. And even then, they don't always do anything about it. See Chris Coughlan's slide on Jung Ho Kang a few years ago.  Fan after fan gets lit up by laser beam foul balls? Fuck 'em, let the teams figure out how they are going to handle protecting them.

I completely disagree that there was nothing either but could do. Lucroy was inside the baseline. Marisnick wasn't. And then Marisnick planted his foot and drove himself inside the baseline to initiate contact. And he did that by turning his body and lowering his shoulder to hit Lucroy's head. He went out of his way (literally) to create violent contact and should have gotten more games. 

Anaheim with the combined no-no on a night that they all wore "Skaggs 45". 13-0, Trout with 6 RBI. Pena with 1 BB over 7 IP, otherwise it's a combined perfecto. Pretty bitchin deal after the game where they all left their jerseys on the hill. It was pretty fucking rad to be watching it live.

Angels are 46-46 today. What if they go on a fucking crazy tear and win it all for their dead homie?

I should drive to Reno and lay money on them to win it all.

EDIT- Check this crazy shit out:

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

Royals have started sending the brief pieces they are willing to move

Cubs acquire Martin Maldonado

Royals acquire Mike Montgomery

Royals are planning on using Montgomery as a starter

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Are we at the point that Bryce Harper is a strong candidate for the Ewing theory?

Zero since the Nats will not be winning anything this year

It’s tough being a rookie umpire. Maybe Boone bought him a beer later that evening, like in this old vintage Bud commercial:

• Thanks 2

Well this is pretty much the Red Sox season - they play their next 14 against the Yankees and Rays.

(For context - they are 11 behind NY in the East and 2 behind the Rays (3 total) from the 2nd Wild Card)

Which takes them through the trade deadline

Gonna be real interesting....

• Like 1