DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING GIFS.

4 hours ago, GetDown said:

Talking about bad finishers ... THE SAXTONATION

giphy.gif

For some reason, Saxton's leg kick cracks me up.

Is it me or does the Saxtonation basically amount to yanking the guy off-balance so he falls over backwards?  He can't really drive the guy down from that position, so the move doesn't look overly hurty.

It would make more sense if he swung into like a lariat type move and landed chest first or seated.

Edited by Ryan

If you looped the gif a little earlier, it would look like his finisher was just rocking the guy's head back and forth until he fell asleep.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

If you looped the gif a little earlier, it would look like his finisher was just rocking the guy's head back and forth until he fell asleep.

That would be a fucking awesome finisher.  Too bad "Go To Sleep" is already being used.

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Go Back To Sleep After You Woke Up To Take a Piss

perfectly timed for a debut with the upcoming all-oldtimers RAW this Monday

• Like 1

meanwhile, one might look at the most successful wrestlers of the last 30-40 years and determine that actually, there are no bad finishers...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
ztlv.0.gif

...just unprotected ones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

meanwhile, one might look at the most successful wrestlers of the last 30-40 years and determine that actually, there are no bad finishers...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
ztlv.0.gif

...just unprotected ones

I have no problem with a leg drop across the throat as a finisher or an elbow drop from a 300+ lb. man. The People's Elbow? Yeah, I never bought that shit as a finisher. The Rock Bottom should have always been the finish while the people's elbow remainded a dumb mid-match thing the Rock did because he was a cocky fucker.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have no problem with a leg drop across the throat as a finisher or an elbow drop from a 300+ lb. man. The People's Elbow? Yeah, I never bought that shit as a finisher. The Rock Bottom should have always been the finish while the people's elbow remainded a dumb mid-match thing the Rock did because he was a cocky fucker.

I never got people who slagged on Hogan's leg drop. Like you said, it's a 300lbs dude jumping in the air and dropping a giant muscled ham hock on your chest and/or face. Very believable that you wouldn't be able to move for 3 seconds after that.

4 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I never got people who slagged on Hogan's leg drop. Like you said, it's a 300lbs dude jumping in the air and dropping a giant muscled ham hock on your chest and/or face. Very believable that you wouldn't be able to move for 3 seconds after that.

I didn’t buy it in the 90’s. Since guys were doing leg drops left, and right all the time on Nitro, as well on Raw. 

Christopher Nowinski had a pretty lame finisher as well. I remember when he debuted it against Tommy Dreamer. Dreamer being the pro that he was sold it like death and did this high pitched scream when he hit the mat but it looked terrible. When I was watching all I could think was, "Tommy Dreamer the guy who used to take vcrs to the head got beat by that?"

Honor+Roll+1.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I didn’t buy it in the 90’s. Since guys were doing leg drops left, and right all the time on Nitro, as well on Raw. 

Whenever I saw a guy use another person's finishing move as a random spot that didn't get a pin, I just chalked it up to them not being as good at the move as the guy who used it as a finisher. That's how I kayfabed it in my head. So a guy like Sid could do a leg drop but maybe he didn't practice it as much as Hogan so it wasn't as effective.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Christopher Nowinski had a pretty lame finisher as well. I remember when he debuted it against Tommy Dreamer. Dreamer being the pro that he was sold it like death and did this high pitched scream when he hit the mat but it looked terrible. When I was watching all I could think was, "Tommy Dreamer the guy who used to take vcrs to the head got beat by that?"

Honor+Roll+1.gif

Lord Steven Regal invented that move by accident on WCW Worldwide. He was using a Butterfly Suplex as a finisher at the time, but one time the jobber tried to take it like a Facebuster or something (doing an up-and-down again bump, instead of the up-and-over). So Regal released one arm and spun them into a high angle bodyslam thing.

13 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Honor+Roll+1.gif

It wasn’t that horrible really. Just super complicated, and I have no idea how you can get that to look good on everybody on the roster. If he did that now, it would probably look more like Will Ospreay’s Stormbreaker.

EssentialGenuineBluetickcoonhound-size_r

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Whenever I saw a guy use another person's finishing move as a random spot that didn't get a pin, I just chalked it up to them not being as good at the move as the guy who used it as a finisher. That's how I kayfabed it in my head. So a guy like Sid could do a leg drop but maybe he didn't practice it as much as Hogan so it wasn't as effective.

I used to juggle that kayfabe in my mind when other guys used powerbomb’s outside of Nash, and weren’t the finish of a match. 

I think the other issue with Hogan was that he was barely wrestling on TV. So when he did, you realized how inferior he was standing beside the other talent on the roster. Watching guys sell for his offense back then was like people selling for Vince McMahon, or Shane’s offense in my eyes.

Hogan could never figure out how to work heel to make his opponents, and himself look good.

Edit: Same with his promos. Those are excruciating to go back to. I don’t know how this company drew so much money with him on top in retrospect? Hall & Nash, and even Bischoff carried his awful ass heel character a lot.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It wasn’t that horrible really. Just super complicated, and I have no idea how you can get that to look good on everybody on the roster. If he did that now, it would probably look more like Will Ospreay’s Stormbreaker.

EssentialGenuineBluetickcoonhound-size_r

I just never saw Nowinski's move as a viable finisher. It actually looks like something that you could transition into a submission hold.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I just never saw Nowinski's move as a viable finisher. It actually looks like something that you could transition into a submission hold.

That’s very true. I can’t find a gif of it, but the Tiger Bomb into an armbar has been something I’ve seen a lot of lately. Bobby Fish, or  Kyle O’Reily does it I believe.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Honor+Roll+1.gif

I can't even think of a reason - in kayfabe terms - why you would rotate the opponent so he takes a back bump.  Move would look more impactful if you simply did an elevated facebuster or ddt from that position.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s very true. I can’t find a gif of it, but the Tiger Bomb into an armbar has been something I’ve seen a lot of lately. Bobby Fish, or  Kyle O’Reily does it I believe.

Reminded me of the Danielson Special:

0Gk6VIM.gif

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Reminded me of the Danielson Special:

0Gk6VIM.gif

except not nearly as crisp looking because Chris N. was never going to come close to being Bryan Danielson

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1