DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

4 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Y'all can pop off like clockwork about Corny every week and be mostly justified, but anyone talking shit on Smoky Mountain Wrestling deserves to be shot into space. 

The more you think about it, SMW couldn't have been an outlaw mud show promotion given who was funding it. Plus, Cornette was willing to pay Flair $10,000 to wrestle one date a month between his WCW run and eventually deciding to go to WWF. The entire payout for an outlaw mud show probably isn't $5,000.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wasn't there a Vince invasion angle in SMW? That is definitely not "mudshow" in any way, shape, or form. 

I think that was just USWA with the early Mr. McMahon promos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It is what it sounds like. It's basically the shows ran by outlaw promotions (in the territory days, any promotion using wrestlers who have been blacklisted for any sort of reason like exposing the business or any promotion running opposition to the main promoter in that town or given area) at like fairgrounds and other random places and many of them are set up in the mud. Cornette basically uses the term outlaw mud show for modern wrestling as a catch all for shows featuring guys like Joey Janela or Jelly Janela as he calls him or flabby, out of shape independent wrestlers in general who have never wrestled for a big time promotion or would have never made it in pro wrestling in the heyday of territories and the mid to late 90s boom period. 

Corny would have a field day with those no-ring bar shows in Brooklyn using Shlak and whatever other dingbats they dig out of the woodwork for it.

• Like 1

Apparently, Pockets aka Orange Cassidy wrestled Joey Ryan in a threeway in a promotion literally named Outlaw Wrestling. That would be the outlaw mudshow bullshit Cornette is talking about.

Didn't the Poffo family start out on Outlaw wrestling promotions? I think they did. We've been spelling it wrong all this time. He was actually "The Mudshow Man" Randy Savage.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Didn't the Poffo family start out on Outlaw wrestling promotions? I think they did. We've been spelling it wrong all this time. He was actually "The Mudshow Man" Randy Savage.

Both Lanny and Randy wrestled years before ICW with Randy getting his first break in Georgia before his dad ran opposition to Ron Fuller and Nick Gulas.

46 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I think that was just USWA with the early Mr. McMahon promos.

Yes, and it is great. Someone has much of the core series of angles and feuds up on YouTube under a playlist titled "McMemphis" that you can reach by clicking on this sentence.

Just in case some have never seen this. I remember first tracking it down because of reading a bit about it in Bret Hart's book, though IMO the best heelery besides Vince is Randy Savage, who is an all-time great heel (and an all-time great babyface, and actually, let's just call him an all-time great because he is). 

Heel Tatanka is also pretty good here, which is a far cry from his lethargic heel run in the '90s in WWF (though he showed much more promise with his "You stole my country, fuck you" heel run that got cut short on '00s Smackdown). 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yes, and it is great. Someone has much of the core series of angles and feuds up on YouTube under a playlist titled "McMemphis" that you can reach by clicking on this sentence.

Just in case some have never seen this. I remember first tracking it down because of reading a bit about it in Bret Hart's book, though IMO the best heelery besides Vince is Randy Savage, who is an all-time great heel (and an all-time great babyface, and actually, let's just call him an all-time great because he is). 

Heel Tatanka is also pretty good here, which is a far cry from his lethargic heel run in the '90s in WWF (though he showed much more promise with his "You stole my country, fuck you" heel run that got cut short on '00s Smackdown). 

I still remember reading Jess McGrath in the old Lariat in USWA reports talking about what an incredible heel promo Vince was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

To be fair, whilst Sullivan did cut Kanemura with a Spike, he didn't follow up by Powerbombing him onto thumbtacks, raking a Barbed Wire Baseball Bat across his forehead, then slamming him off a balcony into a log cabin made of 100 light tubes. And then blowing a fireball at him.

Also Mousetraps used to be a thing in deathmatches around that time.

What a pussy, Kanemura would gladly do all of that later on. Up the stakes, Sully! Light him on fire, Pogo style.

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That screencap is terrifying. Did Boris always wrestle with one eye closed? 

I would hope not.

Also, I like that Bob Orton Jr. has such a great movie villain cadence and intonation that you can't be entirely sure if he is telling the truth about pro wrestling being predetermined. "We're all honest men." 

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would hope not.

Also, I like that Bob Orton Jr. has such a great movie villain cadence and intonation that you can't be entirely sure if he is telling the truth about pro wrestling being predetermined. "We're all honest men." 

Let's talk about this Orton instead:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Matt D said:

One of my favorite bits NOT on that McMemphis playlist is Brian Christopher teaming with Doink for a squash match where Borne just obliterates the poor bastards.

I don't think it's on Youtube or Daily Motion anywhere, but I've seen this, and Bourne-as-Doink is indeed an elite squash match worker in both this match and in general. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly