DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:31 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I AM a wellness violation. If I started telling drinking stories this thread would close automatically without the use of a mod. 

EDIT: I will say, I'm trying badly to get my shit together. It's really nothing to be proud of -- I think if almost any of you had been through a quarter of what I've put myself through you'd have quit long ago. Congrats to the functional. It's fun until it isn't.

Yeah, I characterize my drinking/drugging days as:

Fun

Fun with problems

Pretty much just problems

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

has anyone ever seen wrestling from IWA-MS sister promotions?  Same? different? 

I try not to be guilty of contempt prior to investigation, but really, anything that would publicly acknowledge any sort of relationship with IWA-MS is going t o be pretty far down my list of things that I want to see. If I'm going to watch death-match nonsense, I'll watch mid-90s FMW, at least Onita and Pogo had a certain amount of style and panache.

If my memory is correct, IWA MidSouth got their start running shows in Louisville proper and then only moved across the border after city/state athletic commission started looking into deathmatch wrestling, and THAT was when OVW was having trouble getting buildings. The issue was never SMW or OVW trying to run Indiana, it was the stigma of IWA shows causing problems on the Kentucky side of the border. 

My guess was Mudshow was the polite version of Shitshow.

It must be hard for Cornette, maintaining two separate personalities with diametrically opposing opinions on almost everything. Whenever he gets a commentary gig, he's happy to put over whatever the company wants him to. And he sounds genuine doing it. Then on the podcast he hates everything modern. But he's commentated everywhere. He was in WCPW (before they became Defiant and massively cut the budget) when they were a super indy and using a lot of ROH & even NJPW guys two years ago. Go deep into Defiant's YouTube archive and you'll find Minoru Suzuki wrestling in Newcastle England, with Cornette on commentary. He may even have called a Young Bucks match at one point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

My guess was Mudshow was the polite version of Shitshow.

It must be hard for Cornette, maintaining two separate personalities with diametrically opposing opinions on almost everything. Whenever he gets a commentary gig, he's happy to put over whatever the company wants him to. And he sounds genuine doing it. Then on the podcast he hates everything modern. But he's commentated everywhere. He was in WCPW (before they became Defiant and massively cut the budget) when they were a super indy and using a lot of ROH & even NJPW guys two years ago. Go deep into Defiant's YouTube archive and you'll find Minoru Suzuki wrestling in Newcastle England, with Cornette on commentary. He may even have called a Young Bucks match at one point.

He's stated multiple times that if you pay him enough money basically, he will do anything. Apparently, it can't be that hard.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Cornette would call you a dumbass for not knowing the term. But anyway:

I'm like two minutes into this and I'm already fucking annoyed.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Like Kevin Sullivan cutting open Kanemura on TV?

To be fair, whilst Sullivan did cut Kanemura with a Spike, he didn't follow up by Powerbombing him onto thumbtacks, raking a Barbed Wire Baseball Bat across his forehead, then slamming him off a balcony into a log cabin made of 100 light tubes. And then blowing a fireball at him.

Also Mousetraps used to be a thing in deathmatches around that time.

21 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Right? I skipped through the video a bit, but I was hoping for more "Webster's dictionary defines" than 17 minutes of vintage Corny. 

It is what it sounds like. It's basically the shows ran by outlaw promotions (in the territory days, any promotion using wrestlers who have been blacklisted for any sort of reason like exposing the business or any promotion running opposition to the main promoter in that town or given area) at like fairgrounds and other random places and many of them are set up in the mud. Cornette basically uses the term outlaw mud show for modern wrestling as a catch all for shows featuring guys like Joey Janela or Jelly Janela as he calls him or flabby, out of shape independent wrestlers in general who have never wrestled for a big time promotion or would have never made it in pro wrestling in the heyday of territories and the mid to late 90s boom period. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sounds like SMW would have been considered a mudshow in the 1990s.

Yeah, Cornette stated he has ran mud shows before and I think that applies to Smoky Mountain more than OVW. However, based on the context he uses it for now, it wouldn't exactly apply given he was using people like Arn Anderson and the Undertaker. That's on an entirely different level than most of these guys he is talking about.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Y'all can pop off like clockwork about Corny every week and be mostly justified, but anyone talking shit on Smoky Mountain Wrestling deserves to be shot into space. 

The more you think about it, SMW couldn't have been an outlaw mud show promotion given who was funding it. Plus, Cornette was willing to pay Flair $10,000 to wrestle one date a month between his WCW run and eventually deciding to go to WWF. The entire payout for an outlaw mud show probably isn't $5,000.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wasn't there a Vince invasion angle in SMW? That is definitely not "mudshow" in any way, shape, or form. 

I think that was just USWA with the early Mr. McMahon promos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It is what it sounds like. It's basically the shows ran by outlaw promotions (in the territory days, any promotion using wrestlers who have been blacklisted for any sort of reason like exposing the business or any promotion running opposition to the main promoter in that town or given area) at like fairgrounds and other random places and many of them are set up in the mud. Cornette basically uses the term outlaw mud show for modern wrestling as a catch all for shows featuring guys like Joey Janela or Jelly Janela as he calls him or flabby, out of shape independent wrestlers in general who have never wrestled for a big time promotion or would have never made it in pro wrestling in the heyday of territories and the mid to late 90s boom period. 

Corny would have a field day with those no-ring bar shows in Brooklyn using Shlak and whatever other dingbats they dig out of the woodwork for it.

• Like 1