DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

13 hours ago, EricR said:

This is really sad and I didn't actually know things were going tough for him. During the Berzerker project I tried to contact him but I have no connections and didn't get far. I'd love to interview him and do a long write up. 

And for those of you don't know how great the Berzerker actually was during his 2 year WWF run, or are skeptical yet want to be convinced of his WWF greatness, I will use this opportunity to promote my Complete & Accurate Berzerker. It's my favorite project that I've done (so far). I love this dude. 

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/02/complete-accurate-berzerker.html

That is tremendous.  Enjoying it.

• Like 1

If you're a top guy/girl or close to a top guy/girl, I suspect that if you re-sign you're just going to be parroting that WWE is the best company in the world. I don't have a problem with anyone thinking that and no one is going to slag their company after just re-signing with them, but it's probably going to happen frequently enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Braun's not even the best big man in WWE. Unfortunately, paying Luke Harper to sit home seemed like a better idea than utilizing him. Some of those hashtags are delusional. What butts is Braun putting in seats? It's probably best not to make such a claim when attendance has been down. Braun isn't entirely to blame. It's a WWE problem as a whole, not a Bruan problem. Until attendance goes back up, I'd have talent hold off on talking about putting butts in seats. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

He never said they were human butts. Maybe he keeps his used cigarette end collection on some chairs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What's Rock doing at the PC? They hiding his daughter down there yet? 

Filming something for Raw Reunion

Filming something for any number of documentaries they do

Saying hello to people

Visiting Nia Jax

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Braun's not even the best big man in WWE. Unfortunately, paying Luke Harper to sit home seemed like a better idea than utilizing him. Some of those hashtags are delusional. What butts is Braun putting in seats? It's probably best not to make such a claim when attendance has been down. Braun isn't entirely to blame. It's a WWE problem as a whole, not a Bruan problem. Until attendance goes back up, I'd have talent hold off on talking about putting butts in seats. 

Fuck there's 2 really easy uses for Harper right there - Feud with Braun or find a tag partner (Let's go Gable? Call up Riddle? Is Sheamus still alive?) and feud with Bryan/Rowan.

It wouldnt even matter if Harper loses those feuds. It would just be a great use of a talented worker to put over your established acts. Amazing that that seems to be working for Cesaro/Black...

• Like 1

Every now and then you see something that reminds you how close WWE was to having something really cool and then you think, Jesus, they really fucked this up.

Today it's...Baron Corbin's old entrance?

There was a point where I may have been the first person on the Corbin bandwagon and others watching NXT got on it too. We saw the potential he had. We saw how entertaining Big Banter Corbin was. He had a cool as fuck finisher (End of Days). He had a really cool signature move that he actually got wins with (Deep Six). Most of what he did leading up to those was pretty, well, "ok," but definitely serviceable. Oh, and he had this great run where he was an indy killer. Really, the worst thing about him was his thinning hair.

You see him here and the music is still great and better than what he has now. The entrance video is fucking cool with the city on fire and the black dripping onto the video board to where there's only a spotlight on the guy. There is definitely something there.

And WWE fucked it up. First it was the weird issues Vince or Dunn has with bodies and Corbin's smallish love handles and baby fat on his stomach were just too much so they stuck him in a sleeveless t-shirt. Then they hot shotted him too soon to win the MitB and he was embarrassed by Cena. Then they changed his music. He was looking lost in the ring. He didn't talk any shit to opponents. Any edge he had was just gone.

If that wasn't enough, they changed his character entirely and made him look like a smarmy manager of a TGIFridays. His gear completely sucked. His character took an even bigger downturn as they made him Constable Corbin. A dude named a constable...in 2019. How fucking dumb. People hated this dude and not for the right reasons and so of course he had to become the thing WWE would shove down people's throats for nearly 2 years.

The biggest positives for that whole period of time were him shaving his head and ditching the vest.

It's just weird to look back at what they had and see how badly they fucked it up. I don't even know if they can rehab this guy now and honestly, I WANT to see Corbin be rehabbed. I want him to be good and cool. I just don't know if that's even possible now.

EDIT: One last point...I think a good step in the right direction would at least give him this entrance back, keep his shaved head look, and go with something different for ring gear. Have him start squashing dudes. See if they can get fans to start counting how long his matches last. As much as I bitch about WWE, I bitch about it because I know it can be better and I want it to be better. I don't want this show to suck. I don't want these characters to suck.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 7

I was going over a wrestling blog I kept in 2016 and I was big on Baron Corbin back then. That's the time when he wrestled a debuting Austin Aries and won the Andre Battle Royal in the same weekend and I had high hopes. I liked his thinning hair, his silly tattoos and sad face stomach (LA LA LAAAA), and it seemed like he could hit End of Days on everyone short of Big Show. Such a far cry from Up Close Magician Corbin.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Filming something for Raw Reunion

Filming something for any number of documentaries they do

Saying hello to people

Visiting Nia Jax

IIRC, his daughter also occasionally trains at the PC.

Baron Corbin: Killer of Indy Darlings was the perfect gimmick for NXT.

I've said a million times - A Baron Corbin/Eva Marie NXT power couple holding the gold and taunting Regal's 'new toys' while they talked themselves up as being the future of the WWE Roster would have been amazing.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

And WWE fucked it up. First it was the weird issues Vince or Dunn has with bodies and Corbin's smallish love handles and baby fat on his stomach were just too much so they stuck him in a sleeveless t-shirt.

I saw more complaints about Corbin's body here than than any rumors of Vince and co. hating it.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Unfortunately, paying Luke Harper to sit home seemed like a better idea than utilizing him. 

Why  would they try to use someone who has no intent of staying? 

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Poor Kona... ? 

Why poor Kona?

Edited by Eivion

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Why  would they try to use someone who has no intent of staying? 

*You could have said the same thing about Gallows and Anderson. More money and being on tv seems to be able to sway some people. 

*In fact, I suggested utilizing the Good Brothers in an attempt to convince them to stay and was called stupid in one of the threads a few months ago. Whether it was solely about the money or not, they stayed. I guess I'm not as stupid as some may think. Frankly, I don't care what anyone thinks of me anyway. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I saw more complaints about Corbin's body here than than any rumors of Vince and co. hating it.

I think it's something where you have to read between the lines. We already know that Vince and Dunn both have very weird body issues with the wrestlers. When Corbin was an active participant on the main roster he only lasted a handful of weeks before he was wearing a t-shirt to wrestle in. If you're not Kevin Owens, that's nearly like wearing your shirt into the swimming pool.

And then they covered him up even more by sticking him in the get up he's in now.

So no, I don't recall rumors of Vince disliking Corbin's body, but we know how they've treated other wrestlers who looked flabby. Maybe we're reading into it too much, but the guy wrestled for 2+ years without a shirt, goes up to the main roster, and doesn't last long until his body was covered up.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You could have said the same thing about Gallows and Anderson. More money and being on tv seems to be able to sway some people. 

You mean the guys they were clearly still negotiating with and had never made a full decision to leave? There is a difference between that and someone who goes on social media to say he wants out.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You mean the guys they were clearly still negotiating with and had never made a full decision to leave? There is a difference between that and someone who goes on social media to say he wants out.

WWE clearly made their decision with Harper when he and Rowan were both ready to return, and Rowan was the one brought back. Why not just bring them back as The Bludgeon Brothers and let them wreak havoc until they got their titles back?