DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Mox-Yano and Maverick-Kanellis in the same week. My MOTY list is going to get blown up. #blessed 

205 Live in general has had a bunch of really really good matches lately, in particular the Oney Lorcan/Arya Daivari street fight, I really became a bigger fan fan of both dudes after that match.

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

205 Live in general has had a bunch of really really good matches lately, in particular the Oney Lorcan/Arya Daivari street fight, I really became a bigger fan fan of both dudes after that match.

The table fucking up kind of ruined the momentum of the match and the finish on that one. Still a damn good match though. I've always liked Oney, but it was a revelation to see Daivari had that sort of match in him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

100% agree on this! I wasn’t a huge fan of 205 when it first started but it has started to become the highlight of my week, along with NXT. That Gable/Gallagher match was great!

The promotion I’ve had the toughest time getting into is NXT-UK. I don’t keep up with it as much. I do like Pete Dunne and Walter however. Any standout matches in UK this year that I should go check out?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theendcomplete said:

100% agree on this! I wasn’t a huge fan of 205 when it first started but it has started to become the highlight of my week, along with NXT. That Gable/Gallagher match was great!

The promotion I’ve had the toughest time getting into is NXT-UK. I don’t keep up with it as much. I do like Pete Dunne and Walter however. Any standout matches in UK this year that I should go check out?

Great shout on the Gable/Gallagher match. Also I haven't seen it yet but I heard the Gulak/Swerve match was pretty good. 

I can't get into NXT UK either, my biggest exposure to most of their workers has been either on NXT proper or the MYC, so I'm probably not the best person to answer that. 

• Like 1

Usually when someone is doing a 'good wrestler' gimmick, they really are one. When they're booked in a long match, they come up with an interesting, compelling, captivating way of filling the time, so the match is interesting throughout. But Triple H, he doesn't really have any stuff that he does. He has his five spots that he does in every match, but he's lost outside of them. He fills the time with double exhaustion selling. Both boys lying there sucking wind, and whoever gets to their feet first will have the advantage, except they won't because they always get to their feet simultaneously. The difference between a twenty minute Triple H match, and a forty minute Triple H match is the amount of time spent lying down. They both contain the same amount of wrestling (and indeed, the same wrestling), it's just in varying degrees of dilution.

Furthermore, there's no excuse for having a Luger body and not being a Press Slam guy. If you're not strong enough to do Press Slams, don't carry all that muscle. It slows you down and wears you out. Might as well be a fatass.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Mox-Yano and Maverick-Kanellis in the same week. My MOTY list is going to get blown up. #blessed 

Can we also get my dream match of Samoa Joe vs a bear???

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Great shout on the Gable/Gallagher match. Also I haven't seen it yet but I heard the Gulak/Swerve match was pretty good. 

I can't get into NXT UK either, my biggest exposure to most of their workers has been either on NXT proper or the MYC, so I'm probably not the best person to answer that. 

The Gulak/Swerve match was really good too. In fact, check out that whole episode. It was easily one of the best episodes of 205 since it’s inception.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Do you think being introverted/extroverted has a correlation with how much a person posts? I have been here for many, many years, but I'm just not the talkative type. I figure everyone else will say what I would say anyway.

I'm not really the talkative type either. Major depressive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder; agoraphobia, all that good stuff. It takes me a long time to come out of my shell when I first meet people, which is one reason I liked alcohol and the white lady so much, especially the white. It made me feel like the person I wanted to be, that I knew was inside, but not a lot of people got to see. It's easier for me to put my thoughts into writing than to say it, so that's one reason I like this board.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not really the talkative type either. Major depressive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder; agoraphobia, all that good stuff. It takes me a long time to come out of my shell when I first meet people, which is one reason I liked alcohol and the white lady so much, especially the white. It made me feel like the person I wanted to be, that I knew was inside, but not a lot of people got to see. It's easier for me to put my thoughts into writing than to say it, so that's one reason I like this board.

I am Irish; chatting is what we do. You can just imagine what I was like fueled by the white lady and alcohol.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I am Irish; chatting is what we do. You can just imagine what I was like fueled by the white lady and alcohol.

A lot of late nights/early mornings talking about deep, existential things, then after the comedown you ask yourself "What the fuck was I talking about?".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A lot of late nights/early mornings talking about deep, existential things, then after the comedown you ask yourself "What the fuck was I talking about?".

You were there? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it involved Townes Van Zandt playing, I might've been. Or at least I can throw a wild dart (HA!) at what you were discussing and probably be right

I've always been a complete introvert but at the same time have been in five different bands (and singer in two) and write on here nonstop. Life is strange like that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Usually when someone is doing a 'good wrestler' gimmick, they really are one. When they're booked in a long match, they come up with an interesting, compelling, captivating way of filling the time, so the match is interesting throughout. But Triple H, he doesn't really have any stuff that he does. He has his five spots that he does in every match, but he's lost outside of them. He fills the time with double exhaustion selling. Both boys lying there sucking wind, and whoever gets to their feet first will have the advantage, except they won't because they always get to their feet simultaneously. The difference between a twenty minute Triple H match, and a forty minute Triple H match is the amount of time spent lying down. They both contain the same amount of wrestling (and indeed, the same wrestling), it's just in varying degrees of dilution.

Furthermore, there's no excuse for having a Luger body and not being a Press Slam guy. If you're not strong enough to do Press Slams, don't carry all that muscle. It slows you down and wears you out. Might as well be a fatass.

Or be a naturally strong fat-ass that can do press slams.

32 minutes ago, OSJ said:

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If it involved Townes Van Zandt playing, I might've been. Or at least I can throw a wild dart (HA!) at what you were discussing and probably be right

I've always been a complete introvert but at the same time have been in five different bands (and singer in two) and write on here nonstop. Life is strange like that.

It's funny, I'm actually sort of shy but I spent almost my entire adult life working in jobs where facing the public was essential (bartender as a kid, then sales jobs the rest of my career save for the last few years when I worked as a recruiter, which when you get down to it is really a sales job). When I was doing the SF Convention circuit, I'd frequently get tabbed as Toastmaster, because "I'm so good in front of an audience!" What con organizers didn't know is that I was scared to death and practically sick to my stomach. The only thing that got me through was recalling an interview with Lord Laurence Olivier where he talked about having stage fright so bad that he would throw up before every performance. Seeing as that was coming from the guy that I considered the finest actor in the English-speaking world, I figured just suck it up and do your best....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

In general, the ratio of gassed dudes to amount of press slam/torture racks is way out of proportion even in our era of smaller dudes doing flippies and/or various armbars. 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sorry to interrupt but I was bored and found this interesting (and sad) about the SDL roster. No wonder Fox is already complaining about the star power of the show.

Per WWE.com this is the roster (not counting announcers and the McMahons not named Shane)

Hide contents

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Big Show
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Harper
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Kane
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Lars Sullivan
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Rusev
  • Sheamus
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Sin Cara

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Maryse
  • Mickie James
  • Paige
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Colons
  • Heavy Machinery

Here is what it looks like when I remove all the long term injured folks, the folks on "hiatus" (ie: company not using them till deals are up) and the retired (official and unofficial). And I am being generous here since some of these folks only appear on the Main Event or 205 Live.

Hide contents

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Liv Morgan
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Heavy Machinery

Smackdown has Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, and New Day. Outside of the part timers/legends, those are probably the three biggest names they have, at least as far as “mainstream” recognition.

Edited by JonnyLaw

If you're a muscle guy and you can do the big power moves (like Brjan Cage) great. If you're less muscular but you can do the big power moves (like Cesaro or Trevor Lee), also great. But if you're a muscle guy and you can't do the power moves, what use are you? Carrying that much muscle mass is not great for your health in the short or long terms. Even Davey Boy slimmed down when his knees went, and he was hardly the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I figured just suck it up and do your best....

That's pretty much every show I ever played. Balance the alcohol just enough and maybe, just maybe you'll get through this one (and you probably won't, but you won't care as much).

Honestly I think I'm at a point where all introversion when I'm holding a mic has rubbed off, and the audience is gonna get what they deserve whether they like it or not. Thinking about all this in wrestling terms is crazy -- it must be ten times as difficult, considering you have someone else's life in your hands as well as trying to satisfy yourself, a crowd, and a promoter. 

• Like 2

I had somehow convinced myself that the reason Jim Cornette hated Death Match wrestlers was because when he was running SMW, IWA-MS started running the same buildings and getting all Wrestling banned from them by being scummy. But as it turns out, SMW went out of business a year before IWA-MS started. So maybe he just has a boundary about where the line between 'far enough' and 'too far' is.