DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

My first post here was in '99 or '00. I actually remember it. I asked if anyone on the board had ever heard the radio show Megumi Kudo hosted in Japan then and if they understood any of it, what was it like, shooty or kayfabe or not even on wrestling. Then I ordered some comps...if I remember they included "Best of 1995" "Best of Manami Toyota 1996" and one of the Scherer Rec tapes.

I remain the most boring person on this board: Don’t drink, as in the last time I consumed alcohol was taking a sip out of a wine cooler when I was 5. Don’t even like to take Advil, let alone anything harder then that. Only medication I ever had was being one of the ever so fun Ritalin generation, isn’t though I stopped taking that in high school, as I hated how it affected my brain chemistry. That is partially the biggest reason I don’t even drink: between depression, years on Ritalin, and concussion issues that may or may not have led to severe migraine issues for the last 20 years, anything that makes me not think clearly is a hard pass for me.

As for board history, I was 14-15 year old know nothing little shit that had been on pro wrestling.com but was looking for more intelligent wrestling discussion. Johnny Sorrow actually recommended the board to me. Now I’m 30, and still here, post on PWO booking a fantasy world Georgia Championship Wrestling, a fed who died before I was born.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan

5 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I remain the most boring person on this board: Don’t drink, as in the last time I consumed alcohol was taking a sip out of a wine cooler when I was 5. Don’t even like to take Advil, let alone anything harder then that. Only medication I ever had was being one of the ever so fun Ritalin generation, isn’t though I stopped taking that in high school, as I hated how it affected my brain chemistry. That is partially the biggest reason I don’t even drink: between depression, years on Ritalin, and concussion issues that may or may not have led to severe migraine issues for the last 20 years, anything that makes me not think clearly is a hard pass for me.

As for board history, I was 14-15 year old no nothing little shit that had been on pro wrestling.com but was looking for more intelligent wrestling discussion. Johnny Sorrow actually recommended the board to me. Now I’m 30, and still here.

Similar trajectory here. Was heavily medicated for AD(not yet H)D in the late 80s - late 90s, as a kid/teenager by very well-meaning parents, stopped at my own volition as I entered college, decided that the idea of recreational drugs (even alcohol) was not for me given the memory of that. Thankfully, I'm lacking the depression and concussions though and you have my sympathy on those counts. 

Since we're doing this, I started lurking ~99 at the end of high school, basically kept my mouth shut for the next few years and haven't shut up since. 

Sorry to interrupt but I was bored and found this interesting (and sad) about the SDL roster. No wonder Fox is already complaining about the star power of the show.

Per WWE.com this is the roster (not counting announcers and the McMahons not named Shane)

Spoiler

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Big Show
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Harper
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Kane
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Lars Sullivan
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Rusev
  • Sheamus
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Sin Cara

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Maryse
  • Mickie James
  • Paige
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Colons
  • Heavy Machinery

Here is what it looks like when I remove all the long term injured folks, the folks on "hiatus" (ie: company not using them till deals are up) and the retired (official and unofficial). And I am being generous here since some of these folks only appear on the Main Event or 205 Live.

Spoiler

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Liv Morgan
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Heavy Machinery

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sorry to interrupt but I was bored and found this interesting (and sad) about the SDL roster. No wonder Fox is already complaining about the star power of the show.

Per WWE.com this is the roster (not counting announcers and the McMahons not named Shane)

Hide contents

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Big Show
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Harper
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Kane
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Lars Sullivan
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Rusev
  • Sheamus
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Sin Cara

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Maryse
  • Mickie James
  • Paige
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Colons
  • Heavy Machinery

Here is what it looks like when I remove all the long term injured folks, the folks on "hiatus" (ie: company not using them till deals are up) and the retired (official and unofficial). And I am being generous here since some of these folks only appear on the Main Event or 205 Live.

Hide contents

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Liv Morgan
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Heavy Machinery

I honestly think the second list would be worth watching if they actually trusted them all to get over.  Cut back on promo/backstage segments and let the guys go in the ring, and it would be really hard to fail with that roster.  Put the Street Profits on Smackdown to round out the division, and I think they'd be on to something.  Don't get me wrong, that won't ever happen, but there is no reason that roster couldn't be great.  

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Similar trajectory here. Was heavily medicated for AD(not yet H)D in the late 80s - late 90s, as a kid/teenager by very well-meaning parents, stopped at my own volition as I entered college, decided that the idea of recreational drugs (even alcohol) was not for me given the memory of that. Thankfully, I'm lacking the depression and concussions though and you have my sympathy on those counts. 

Since we're doing this, I started lurking ~99 at the end of high school, basically kept my mouth shut for the next few years and haven't shut up since. 

For what it’s worth, the depression issue is largely in the past, as much as it can be at least. Late teen years were rough, and ended with me dropping out of high school in order to try to get my head in order. Took the better part of 3 years, but in the end I think it was the right call. Problem with depression is it’s not something that is ever just “gone”. You let your guard down, it’s back with a vengeance. 

The concussion issue is one of those chicken and the egg things. I had a severe concussion in... 2nd grade I think? Whiplashed my head onto a tile floor at school complained about a bad headache, but my teacher didn’t see I fell. She didn’t find out till I had already been sent to the nurses office, and had been told to take a nap. Had a severe concussion and started getting severe migraines two weeks later. Bad luck all around, that.

i also was super lurker here for a while. Just didn’t know what I could possibly add to a conversation. Add in I didn’t get high speed internet till about 2011/2012, and went 9 months without electricity in 2014, it always felt like I’ve been playing catch up, especially since I was pretty sure I was the youngest regular here for a while. Even during the GWE I would stay almost silent, because outside of making a case for some obscure RoH guys I was never going to be the biggest expert on anybody. Also didn’t help the discussion for that list being a nightmare factory though.

• Like 1

I'm on scrips for BP and my braaaaaaiiiiiiin, but other than that I feel the same way about alcohol and drugs. I have no real choice about the scrips as I'd either be dead from the BP or in a mental hospital from the severity of the anxiety spikes at times. I don't need anything else to make any of that even worse. I don't even touch caffeine anymore.

• Like 1

I remember what my first post was about. It was about how Triple H was a deeply mediocre wrestler who had inexplicably been given a 'great wrestler' gimmick. This would be around April 2000, I think.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

I remember what my first post was about. It was about how Triple H was a deeply mediocre wrestler who had inexplicably been given a 'great wrestler' gimmick. This would be around April 2000, I think.

and you weren't wrong

If you believe him, HHH has said in interviews "The Game" gimmick was supposed to be for Owen Hart. His using it was supposed to be a tribute to Owen. 

I have maybe 2 or 3 drinks a week (usually beer, wine, or bloody marys) unless it's college football season and then I have significantly more drinks at ND tailgates (hopefully I'll actually bump into Sheamus this year since he tailgates a short walk from where we're at, I just don't have the guts to go up and say hi). In my 20s I was more open to drinking during the week and partying more, but now drinking during the week feels weird. I also don't want to sleep through my alarm or anything like that. Plus, I'm on Xanax and Buspar for anxiety so I don't want to mix alcohol and those.

I've also never done any drugs or smoked any weed because smoking is ultra disgusting to me, but I'm more open now to marijuana than I was years ago. I'd be open to trying an edible or a vape pen, but it would have to be a low dose because I'm afraid of feeling paranoid.

I also feel weird consuming beer at home while watching wrestling. I think it's just because it makes me more likely to fall asleep while watching it and I get bored enough as it is when watching WWE PPVs. If I'm at a Raw or PPV I'll get a beer there because it's a different environment and I'm less likely to fall asleep, but I think I still have dozed off during PPVs. I'm also positive I nodded off for a brief moment during the Payback PPV in Chicago with the Shield vs Evolution. I can't remember what match it was, but I think I recall the crowd going crazy because the Blackhawks scored a goal (Payback was during game 7 of the WCF with the Blackhawks against the Kings).

• Like 1

Thank God the old DVDVR chat logs have vanished (at least I hope so).

So many high school/college post-drinking chat sessions of me saying the stupidest stuff as I slowly learned what my tolerance levels were.

I legitimately talk to zero people on a regular basis that I have known longer than some of the people I've posted with on this board. 

Edited by CSC

2 minutes ago, CSC said:

Thank God the old DVDVR chat logs have vanished (at least I hope so).

So many high school/college post-drinking chat sessions of me saying the stupidest stuff as I slowly learned what my tolerance levels were.

I legitimately talk to zero people on a regular basis that I have known longer than some of the people I've posted with on this board. 

Hmmm.....

Let me just say that you better hope you never get on my bad side

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

What about tOa? Used to really enjoy the old WrestlingClassics board, and of course the Strictly ECW board. 

I used to post as Frogg in the Fantasy Wrestling area of tOa. I used to enjoy writing out shows. Wish they still had something like that on the internet.

Now I’m just a lurker here and a very rare poster.

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You're up to 11! Congrats. *looks at post count* I think I need to stop posting for a few months.

Nah, you're good.

Speaking of Andre...

So there is a Willem Ruska, Tatsumi Fujinami, & Riki Choshu vs. Andre the Giant, Chavo Guerrero, & Tito Santana 2/3 falls match that's popped up from a 1980 NJPW TV set that Pete F from PWO got via Japanese ebay, and it's awesome for multiple reasons, one being Andre basically portraying Fezzik fighting multiple guys at once, but those guys being Fujinami and Choshu, but also that it's the best, most sustained look we've ever gotten at heel Tito. This hasn't been out there in the community though. The discs were slightly (just slightly) corrupted and this match in particular is easy to watch but it's hard to transfer, so only a handful of us have been able to see it. 

It's really cool though.

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

Ah RSPW, I knew it well, both the wide-open cesspool and the moderated group. I've always felt a little badly about my role in destroying the moderated forum. However, when you have tools like Scott Keith and Gern Blanston as moderators, that's just begging for someone to chuck a firebomb in the place.

I never bothed with the modded RSPW. But loved the other one. It is still going. But is 8 posters spamming crap constantly.

Do you think being introverted/extroverted has a correlation with how much a person posts? I have been here for many, many years, but I'm just not the talkative type. I figure everyone else will say what I would say anyway.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hide contents

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Big Show
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Harper
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Kane
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Lars Sullivan
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Rusev
  • Sheamus
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Sin Cara

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Maryse
  • Mickie James
  • Paige
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Colons
  • Heavy Machinery

Hide contents

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Liv Morgan
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Heavy Machinery

Honestly, only the tag division is really suffering just looking at whose currently available. The issue really is WWE's booking that doesn't treat a lot of those guys as the stars they should be. Actually is an issue with how SDL is treated somewhat as the show still in general. I mean its kind of ridiculous how Roman's biggest and best moments since joining SDL are still on Raw.