DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

I've had 10-15 servings of alcohol in my life, haven't had a full one in like 9 years? Never more than one and I just did it for the hell of it and made one drink last hours usually. I've never done anything I wasn't prescribed in terms of drugs. That includes Xanax, which I do not recommend going cold turkey off of...several times. Stupid old doctor. I lurked when I was still in HS on the old green board, but posted regularly as far back as I can remember after annoying the piss out of everyone in the IRC chat for many years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

What about tOa? Used to really enjoy the old WrestlingClassics board, and of course the Strictly ECW board. 

tOa died from the new interface which required registration, why that should have been a big deal is anyone's guess. Wrestling Classics is still around, not nearly as much traffic as in the old days, but still worth checking out.

• Like 1

Just now, BrianS81177 said:

source.gif

A friend of a friend is literally allergic to alcohol on contact. He worked as a server and some got spilled on his arm and he started breaking out really bad. That would suck.

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I've had 10-15 servings of alcohol in my life, haven't had a full one in like 9 years? Never more than one and I just did it for the hell of it and made one drink last hours usually. I've never done anything I wasn't prescribed in terms of drugs. That includes Xanax, which I do not recommend going cold turkey off of...several times. Stupid old doctor. I lurked when I was still in HS on the old green board, but posted regularly as far back as I can remember after annoying the piss out of everyone in the IRC chat for many years.

The wife and I both are prescribed Xanax, once several years ago we were snowed in and ran out. To say that it was not pleasant would be an understatement. 

I was on .25 a day 3 times a day and he told me to take it 3 times a day and if you know what that stuff is like if you take it on a regular basis, it weakens and your tolerance builds up and then your scrip runs out because you stupidly take a 4th pill or something a few times and then you get 2 or 3 days of not sleeping and itching like a heroin addict and thought patterns that don't stop. Also, fun muscle twitching.

Edited by Ryan

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

The wife and I both are prescribed Xanax, once several years ago we were snowed in and ran out. To say that it was not pleasant would be an understatement. 

My best friend did end up with an H addiction. From what he's told me, dope sickness sounds very similar anti-depressant withdrawl, which I have been through. To say it's awful is an understatement.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:49 AM, christopher.annino said:

Waded through the AEW thread this morning and without naming names, there's a very obviously "not from around here" type and it got me thinking about when new folks join up. Do they spend time lurking, read people's posts, get a feel for the room? Or do they just jump on in head-first thinking this is just another wrestling message board? If it's the latter, it is EXTREMELY fucking obvious.

Man, this is, uhhhh, really weird.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My best friend did end up with an H addiction. From what he's told me, dope sickness sounds very similar anti-depressant withdrawl, which I have been through. To say it's awful is an understatement.

AD withdrawal and Benzo withdrawal are probably a bit different. Every one has their own quirks too.

Edited by Ryan

I AM a wellness violation. If I started telling drinking stories this thread would close automatically without the use of a mod. 

EDIT: I will say, I'm trying badly to get my shit together. It's really nothing to be proud of -- I think if almost any of you had been through a quarter of what I've put myself through you'd have quit long ago. Congrats to the functional. It's fun until it isn't.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I joined in September 2005 and stayed ever since!

I read this as "I joined in September 2005 and stayed SOBER ever since!"

For a split second, I thought DVDVR helped you get clean. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

tOa died from the new interface which required registration, why that should have been a big deal is anyone's guess. Wrestling Classics is still around, not nearly as much traffic as in the old days, but still worth checking out.

How many of yall were at RSPW? Pretty sure that is how I found out about this place. I was at RSPW from 98 until about 2006ish.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

My doctor tried to put me on Xanax for my issues. Refused it. So he prescribed Valiums. Then changes in various laws I had to choose between Valiums and my pain meds. Went with the pain meds. 

Refused the Xanax cause I have seen how addictive it can be. Had way too many friends get hooked on them.

And to bring it back to wrestling almost 4 years ago at a local indie show had a former WWE tag team champ ask me for pain meds,when he saw me pulling a prescription bottle out of my pocket."Sorry REDACTED this is lithium." He replied with "All I wanted tonight was some pills and a big titty white woman. Guess I will just settle for big titties" and he wandered off.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

How many of yall were at RSPW? Pretty sure that is how I found out about this place. I was at RSPW from 98 until about 2006ish.

When I first got internet access at my folks house in 96 or so, wrestling sites were among the first thing I looked up. For several years RSPW would be where I'd go to link to other wrestling sites. Aside from occasionally commenting on stories on scoopscentral I never posted on any wrestling forums until 2001 or so. I've been here since 2005 (or whenever the sleaze thread was) and this is one of the more civil sections of the internet.

Ah RSPW, I knew it well, both the wide-open cesspool and the moderated group. I've always felt a little badly about my role in destroying the moderated forum. However, when you have tools like Scott Keith and Gern Blanston as moderators, that's just begging for someone to chuck a firebomb in the place.

I've never done any illegal (or up until very recently illegal drugs)

I've never been more than a social drinker. I get drunk maybe two or three times a year, and I think I've only been truly wasted maybe 5 times in my life. 

One problem I've found is, no matter how drunk I get, I remember everything in the morning. That takes some of the fun out of it.

I'm fortunate enough to never have gotten chemically addicted.

• Like 1

My first post here was in '99 or '00. I actually remember it. I asked if anyone on the board had ever heard the radio show Megumi Kudo hosted in Japan then and if they understood any of it, what was it like, shooty or kayfabe or not even on wrestling. Then I ordered some comps...if I remember they included "Best of 1995" "Best of Manami Toyota 1996" and one of the Scherer Rec tapes.

I remain the most boring person on this board: Don’t drink, as in the last time I consumed alcohol was taking a sip out of a wine cooler when I was 5. Don’t even like to take Advil, let alone anything harder then that. Only medication I ever had was being one of the ever so fun Ritalin generation, isn’t though I stopped taking that in high school, as I hated how it affected my brain chemistry. That is partially the biggest reason I don’t even drink: between depression, years on Ritalin, and concussion issues that may or may not have led to severe migraine issues for the last 20 years, anything that makes me not think clearly is a hard pass for me.

As for board history, I was 14-15 year old know nothing little shit that had been on pro wrestling.com but was looking for more intelligent wrestling discussion. Johnny Sorrow actually recommended the board to me. Now I’m 30, and still here, post on PWO booking a fantasy world Georgia Championship Wrestling, a fed who died before I was born.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan

5 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I remain the most boring person on this board: Don’t drink, as in the last time I consumed alcohol was taking a sip out of a wine cooler when I was 5. Don’t even like to take Advil, let alone anything harder then that. Only medication I ever had was being one of the ever so fun Ritalin generation, isn’t though I stopped taking that in high school, as I hated how it affected my brain chemistry. That is partially the biggest reason I don’t even drink: between depression, years on Ritalin, and concussion issues that may or may not have led to severe migraine issues for the last 20 years, anything that makes me not think clearly is a hard pass for me.

As for board history, I was 14-15 year old no nothing little shit that had been on pro wrestling.com but was looking for more intelligent wrestling discussion. Johnny Sorrow actually recommended the board to me. Now I’m 30, and still here.

Similar trajectory here. Was heavily medicated for AD(not yet H)D in the late 80s - late 90s, as a kid/teenager by very well-meaning parents, stopped at my own volition as I entered college, decided that the idea of recreational drugs (even alcohol) was not for me given the memory of that. Thankfully, I'm lacking the depression and concussions though and you have my sympathy on those counts. 

Since we're doing this, I started lurking ~99 at the end of high school, basically kept my mouth shut for the next few years and haven't shut up since. 

Sorry to interrupt but I was bored and found this interesting (and sad) about the SDL roster. No wonder Fox is already complaining about the star power of the show.

Per WWE.com this is the roster (not counting announcers and the McMahons not named Shane)

Spoiler

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Big Show
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor
  • Harper
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Kane
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Lars Sullivan
  • Matt Hardy
  • R-Truth
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rowan
  • Rusev
  • Sheamus
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Sin Cara

WOMEN

• Bayley
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte
  • Ember Moon
  • Sonya Deville
  • Mandy Rose
  • Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Maryse
  • Mickie James
  • Paige
  • Zelina Vega
  • IIconics
  • Kabuki Warriors

TAGS

• New Day
  • B-Team
  • Colons
  • Heavy Machinery

Here is what it looks like when I remove all the long term injured folks, the folks on "hiatus" (ie: company not using them till deals are up) and the retired (official and unofficial). And I am being generous here since some of these folks only appear on the Main Event or 205 Live.

Spoiler

MEN

• Aleister Black
  • Ali
  • Andrade
  • Apollo Crews
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Chad Gable
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Elias
  • Finn Balor