DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Drinking while taking a bath or shower seems weird to me. Also am I the only person who doesn't drink alcohol here? 

I went about 4 years without a drink at one point.  I drink occasionally but it's rare.   

Edit: I should mention in my college years I was drinking pretty heavily,  I see no reason to get back to it. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Alcohol is yummy. I went to Paris and had this amazing brandy with a beef bourguignon that was amazing. It changed my life, it was so good. Beer is delicious, the darker, the better. 

I also cook regularly with it. I don't drink red wine, but I have a bottle in my kitchen perpetually for sautees and soups. I also keep a cheap bottle of brandy and whiskey for baking and making sweet desserts. 

I drink only about once a week because I want a flat stomach. My vanity outweighs my gluttony, I suppose. 

I totally understand why someone wouldn't like the taste of alcohol, though. I know people who don't drink for that reason. But if you're cooking, man, you have to at least have some wine in the kitchen. French onion soup with a hit of Spanish wine or a burger cooked in bacon fat and a nice porter is just too good. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Do we now have to fantasy cast the DVDVR crew as cheers characters? 

If I don't fit in Cheers anywhere, I'll gladly volunteer for the DVDVR presents: Seinfeld.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 3

The funny thing about all the alcohol talk is that just yesterday I discovered that my wife's cousin - whom I've known the 7+ years we've been together - is a fan of the pro wrestling.

The way it came up was due to drinking talk. It was a cookout/1st birthday party for my littlest one and people were drinking summer beers. Somebody had some Narragansett shandy and I said how those go down TOO easy, and when I go see wrestling in Massachusetts I always double fist.

I thought it was gonna be a throwaway comment and he says how he's gone to a bunch of NXT and ROH in Lowell (I usually hit up Evolve or Beyond in Melrose or Worcester), and how he's been enjoying the G1. All this damn time and I had no idea he was even a fan. No idea how much longer it would've gone on without me mentioning my penchant for crushing shandies at shows. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Alcohol is yummy. I went to Paris and had this amazing brandy with a beef bourguignon that was amazing. It changed my life, it was so good. Beer is delicious, the darker, the better. 

I also cook regularly with it. I don't drink red wine, but I have a bottle in my kitchen perpetually for sautees and soups. I also keep a cheap bottle of brandy and whiskey for baking and making sweet desserts. 

I drink only about once a week because I want a flat stomach. My vanity outweighs my gluttony, I suppose. 

I totally understand why someone wouldn't like the taste of alcohol, though. I know people who don't drink for that reason. But if you're cooking, man, you have to at least have some wine in the kitchen. French onion soup with a hit of Spanish wine or a burger cooked in bacon fat and a nice porter is just too good. 

This is basically me as well, but I had a scotch and a chicken sandwich in Paris that changed my life. 

• Like 1

Well dang, not only do I drink wine but I make it, so it's not uncommon for me to have 300 +/- bottles on hand at any one time. I've always thought that if my drinking doesn't affect my life in any negative way, I'm ok with it and it never has. As for people that don't drink, hey, that's just a universe counterbalance to me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dewar said:

We played a soccer game one night, 10 PM start time. Raining and windy the whole time. Turned to snow at the end of the game. When I got home, all i wanted was a cold beer and a warm shower. So it ends up feeling like when you drink a beer in a hot tub. Your body is warm, and the refreshing cold beer just makes everything okay. 

As for not drinking, don't ever feel bad about it. I took a six month sabbatical after a friend died. Do what makes you happy. 

This.

Post-sport shower beers allow for that painkiller type buzz without limiting your capacity to consume more later. 

• Like 1

i like to drink beers. it is not uncommon to come home from work and have 3-6 before i go to bed. i'm having one right now, watching old mma fights at the bar in my basement.  to each their own.

i've tried the shower beer thing a few times. i don't really get the appeal.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, christopher.annino said:

Waded through the AEW thread this morning and without naming names, there's a very obviously "not from around here" type and it got me thinking about when new folks join up. Do they spend time lurking, read people's posts, get a feel for the room? Or do they just jump on in head-first thinking this is just another wrestling message board? If it's the latter, it is EXTREMELY fucking obvious. 

I like it. This place totally feels like Cheers, even if I'm just a perpetual extra in the background and not Norm or Cliff. 

I lurked for almost seven years, fwiw.

• Like 2

I remember when the board was black and green, and looked like an outline for a epic fantasy novel.  I lurked for a good long while, but I'm glad I started posting.  This board is the most entertainment I get during slow work days.  

• Like 2

Been posting and reading here since it started in what 99 or so. I go thru spells where I leave for a bit. Mostly back when I moved and went from having broadband internet to living in an area where all you could get until 2013 was AOL Dial up.

Watching a RF Shoot with New Jack on Highspots. Decent shoot but every few minutes there is a bright white flash. I guess RF was taking pictures while talking to New Jack.