DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

58 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The Roku app has been butt since I got it. Thank goodness for Xbox.

Also FYI, for yourself or anyone who may have missed it, I got a separate email recently that the app will no longer be supported on Samsung smart TVs manufactured prior to 2016.

Why yes, of course I got mine in December 2015, why do you ask?

Just trade it in for a new new 64K Ultra Hyper Combo TV From LGSansuiSonyCorporeality, only $19.95! (It's just an old CRT with a big magnifying lens in front of it.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, it's really weird. Xbox, PS3, PS4, Fire Stick, Chromecast, Apple TV, the Windows app, phone apps, and non-Roku smart TVs all have a similar experience.

The Roku has been the lone Network app that completely sucks. It honestly looks like a bootleg app someone else created so you can use the Network on a not-official app, but the person who made it has zero knowledge for creating a GUI. 

I've had a roku for 4 years and I find that the apps have been getting worse and worse. I'm not sure what their market share among streaming devices is, but they seem to be an after thought for a lot of companies.

Just a thought. When the ROH/ NJPW ends, if New Japan decides to partner up with AEW (seems likely), do they do New Japan vs AEW right away, or is the real money in 'Bullet Club invades All Elite' first, and then doing the full on promotion vs promotion war later?

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I have a roku tv and I haven't had any issues with the network.

That's not what we're talking about though. The Network works just fine. The interface is garbage and horribly dated. I mean, really dated.

To be honest, I really, really like my Roku stuff, both my 4k Roku TV and the 4k Roku device I have hooked up to another TV. Everything works on there pretty well and the only complaint I have is that some apps get uninstalled if you don't use them after a few days. For example, sometimes if I got to cast something from YouTube on my phone to YouTube on my TV, it has to install YouTube first.

Other than that, it works really well. I just wish the WWE Network app didn't suck, but it sounds like it'll be updated this week.

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

Just a thought. When the ROH/ NJPW ends, if New Japan decides to partner up with AEW (seems likely), do they do New Japan vs AEW right away, or is the real money in 'Bullet Club invades All Elite' first, and then doing the full on promotion vs promotion war later?

I don't think NJPW will be partnering with AEW based on multiple accounts. Some of that sounds like hurt feelings type of stuff with so many of the AEW guys having left NJPW for AEW. I wouldn't be surprised if there's sour grapes from the All In show being used to basically launch AEW.

It'll be great if I'm wrong, but I could see that creating some booking issues because they might have to scrap whatever long term stuff they have to fit in NJPW stuff.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

That's not what we're talking about though. The Network works just fine. The interface is garbage and horribly dated. I mean, really dated.

To be honest, I really, really like my Roku stuff, both my 4k Roku TV and the 4k Roku device I have hooked up to another TV. Everything works on there pretty well and the only complaint I have is that some apps get uninstalled if you don't use them after a few days. For example, sometimes if I got to cast something from YouTube on my phone to YouTube on my TV, it has to install YouTube first.

Other than that, it works really well. I just wish the WWE Network app didn't suck, but it sounds like it'll be updated this week.

Sorry, I'm an old man and I was just throwing that out there to get a confirmation that my shit will still work. Thanks, man. ?

• Like 1

Also since we are talking the Network here and not the Network thread - Meltzer said the changes to the Network (IE: multi-tier) will be announced today in conjunction with the earnings report as they are trying to juice the stock price

Couldn't happen to a more terrible company (per the WON)

The Saudi Arabia show is back to its original date on 11/1 in Riyadh at King Saud University Stadium. So they ended up canceling a number of European dates including the entire Italy tour, several U.K. shows, and rearranging television to where they were taping Raw and Smackdown now on the same night on a Friday meaning Raw was taped ahead because the Saudis wanted the show on a different date. And now it’s back to the old date. One thing we can say is that this relationship has been filled with headaches and bad publicity for the company. So now it’s back to a situation where there is going to be a PPV on a Friday afternoon, and a few hours later there will be a live Smackdown from the Prudential Center in Newark, unless the decision is made to tape Smackdown that Monday or move the Newark show to Tuesday that week and tape Smackdown ahead of time. One way they could manage is promote the Friday show in Newark as an all-women’s Smackdown show. That would at least take the place of the Evolution PPV that for whatever reason isn’t on the schedule this year. They could heavily promote it as an all-women’s Smackdown, the first time ever and could use that to offset the obvious criticism of them running if Saudi Arabia doesn’t allow the women to come. And I have no idea at this point why they wouldn’t given they’ve paid ridiculous money to get female U.S. entertainers over like Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj (who had accepted the date for a show on 7/18, taken heat for doing the show, then said that when she studied the issue and read up on their treatment of women and gays, pulled out of the show nine or ten days in advance) over for shows this year and they indicated last time that they would allow a women’s match, before changing their minds so late in the game that WWE brought Natalya and Alexa Bliss over to wrestle and it wasn’t until the last minute when they were told that they wouldn’t be allowed to be on the show. I really don’t know why they didn’t schedule an Evolution show this year and it is still possible they could but it’s not on the schedule. Last year’s show was considered a huge success as far as a show itself goes. Business-wise, it did sell out the Nassau Coliseum even though it was a slower moving ticket than usual and the secondary market tanked. But still, lots of PPV shows these days don’t sell out, and that’s with two-for-ones. The PPV numbers and overall interest level were lower than usual for a PPV, but neither of those in 2019 are major financial issues and it wasn’t like the numbers the PPV numbers were any different from Stomping Grounds and they sold far more tickets. There is the feeling that without Ronda Rousey they didn’t want to risk an all-women’s PPV show, but that doesn’t matter if it’s a television show. We’re told that it being back on the same day as a TV taping, which is the plan right now so they aren’t planning on moving TV up at this point. As far as how all of this is handled, we’re told that is so far in advance that no discussions have taken place

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well they better partner up with someone quick on a consistent basis. Since it looks like the WWE will be partnering up with other Japanese promotions in the future.

Maybe WWE and NJPW will recommence their old relationship. Be nice, get AJ and Nakamura back in the Tokyo Dome one last time. Roman and the Usos vs Tama, Tanga & Fale. Seth Rollins dying to have a better Ishii match than Moxley did. Stuff of nightmares, innit?

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Maybe WWE and NJPW will recommence their old relationship. Be nice, get AJ and Nakamura back in the Tokyo Dome one last time. Roman and the Usos vs Tama, Tanga & Fale. Seth Rollins dying to have a better Ishii match than Moxley did. Stuff of nightmares, innit?

It’d be a mistake for the sake of their own future, but it’d be a way to satisfy their own vengeance on AEW. 

Oh, and WWE is rumored to be looking into a partnership with Dragon Gate, and Stardom.

Dragon Gate? I wonder how Pac feels about that. Stardom... I can see what Stardom has to offer WWE. I can't see what WWE has to offer Stardom, outside of money.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dragon Gate? I wonder how Pac feels about that. Stardom... I can see what Stardom has to offer WWE. I can't see what WWE has to offer Stardom, outside of money.

Stardom has been able to book Toni Storm recently again. So probably more gaijin women, which is something Rossy likes a lot. Maybe WWE can send some women who need more seasoning over there too.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs