DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

True. And if you charge twice as much for tickets and sell half as many, that's two identical box offices, regardless of attendance. But still. Seats without Butts on them is not a good look for anything except an empty arena match.

The prices for the NJPW/ROH show were pretty high as well.

Re: Raw at MSG: If the main event of the show was Tracy Smothers having his long awaited rematch with the wrestling bear I would gladly pay 2k to sit front row.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

First the claim that Tim Horner is better than Brad Armstrong, and now claiming that Matt Taven sold out MSG. LoneWolf&Subs equals fake news!!!!!!

I’d watch an IVP comp of “The Best of The Kingdom in Japan”, before I sit through another Buzzkill match!

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Arena standardization sucks. As a relatively (last decade) new MSG attendee, I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to walk in and discover that it....looks just like every other arena in the country.

This, but for every aspect of our trip to NYC a few years ago.  There's no personality left in the stores, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Bustronaut said:

This, but for every aspect of our trip to NYC a few years ago.  There's no personality left in the stores, etc.

I'm of the opinion that if you went to sleep tonight and woke up in a random American city the only two that would actually feel different (not including weather) are New Orleans and Detroit.  We've scrubbed the personality out of almost everything in this country.  It's actually kind of sad.

• Like 5

I think the worst part of the MSG shows not selling out right away is that it's New York and there really isn't another city outside of maybe Chicago that is a wrestling town like NYC is.  That has to be concerning.  WWE should at least sell out their home games. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

We've scrubbed the personality out of almost everything in this country.

Don't know if you've ever seen this South Park episode that was about the "city part of town".  It's crazy how identical a lot of suburban areas are looking these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Re: Raw at MSG: If the main event of the show was Tracy Smothers having his long awaited rematch with the wrestling bear I would gladly pay 2k to sit front row.

Apparently Joey Jannella had a match with Tracy last night and Tracy being Tracy was dropping F bombs (the other f bomb) and had his confederate flag which Joey used to wipe his ass with.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Same here.  It went long and the ROH portion was meh but I loved everything NJPW.  My friends all had a great time too. 

The ladder match was good. It just had the outcome nobody wanted. The crowd was rabid for Marty.

I liked Cobb/Ospreay and Dragon Lee/Taiji Ishimori/Bandido. The nonsense with Enzo and Cass is what ruined the tag title match. Kenny King was a huge letdown winning the battle royal.

I really liked Rush squashing Dalton.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The ladder match was good. It just had the outcome nobody wanted. The crowd was rabid for Marty.

I liked Cobb/Ospreay and Dragon Lee/Taiji Ishimori/Bandido. The nonsense with Enzo and Cass is what ruined the tag title match. Kenny King was a huge letdown winning the battle royal.

I really liked Rush squashing Dalton.

It really should have been a warning sign at the start of the night when they used Jushin Liger and a surprise Great Muta appearance to put over FUCKING KENNY KING.

And if Marty got booked to win the title that may have stopped the bleeding a little bit, but if Sinclair does pull the plug within the next year, I have 100 percent belief that you can say that the Enzo and Cass thing killed the territory.

The promotion has Jeff Cobb, Bandido, Rush, and PCO as featured players and so many people still dont give a shit because of the many other things that are so wrong with ROH right now. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

It really should have been a warning sign at the start of the night when they used Jushin Liger and a surprise Great Muta appearance to put over FUCKING KENNY KING.

And if Marty got booked to win the title that may have stopped the bleeding a little bit, but if Sinclair does pull the plug within the next year, I have 100 percent belief that you can say that the Enzo and Cass thing killed the territory.

The promotion has Jeff Cobb, Bandido, Rush, and PCO as featured players and so many people still dont give a shit because of the many other things that are so wrong with ROH right now. 

They're band-aids on a broken leg.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Even beyond the featured players mix, the problem is that EVOLVE and NXT have turned ROH into the Saturday Night Live of indie wrestling: It's just a bad restaurant in a good location. 

ROH getting prospects doesn't work, because ultimately, the big problem is that ROH means nothing anymore. EVOLVE has the reputation of "sign with us and you'll be almost guaranteed a WWE contract", and ROH can't even counter with 'well, sign with US and you can work in New Japan!" because there's been enough time in the ROH/New Japan relationship to know by and large, ROH standouts aren't really becoming important in New Japan from their ROH run.

• Like 3