DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m sorry, but if Matt Taven, and The Beer City Bruiser outdraws you, then you should take a header off the top of MSG.

Because that was who was selling the ROH/New Japan.

From the WON

The show itself was a mixed bag. The general feeling is that even though the contracts were that New Japan and ROH each would get 50 percent of the show, the fans were very clearly there for New Japan. The only ROH matches that really got over involved ROH wrestlers working with New Japan talent. Plus, the two surprise angles didn’t play well with this audience. 

Let's dial back the hyperbole a little

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

MSG's wiki says capacity is 18,006 for wrestling, Cagematch lists G1 Supercard's attendance as 16.534, so close.

i think that is for the old set up when they came out the Knicks/Rangers locker room tunnel. Now with the stage set up the back end of the arena was closed off that lobs a couple thousand seats off the top. So in that regard just judging from what I saw I'd say it was pretty damn close to sold out.

Looks like Smackdown will be a really easy ticket to get. Also they might have to employ some WCW 2000 lighting tricks to make it look full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

True. And if you charge twice as much for tickets and sell half as many, that's two identical box offices, regardless of attendance. But still. Seats without Butts on them is not a good look for anything except an empty arena match.

The prices for the NJPW/ROH show were pretty high as well.

Re: Raw at MSG: If the main event of the show was Tracy Smothers having his long awaited rematch with the wrestling bear I would gladly pay 2k to sit front row.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

First the claim that Tim Horner is better than Brad Armstrong, and now claiming that Matt Taven sold out MSG. LoneWolf&Subs equals fake news!!!!!!

I’d watch an IVP comp of “The Best of The Kingdom in Japan”, before I sit through another Buzzkill match!

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Arena standardization sucks. As a relatively (last decade) new MSG attendee, I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to walk in and discover that it....looks just like every other arena in the country.

This, but for every aspect of our trip to NYC a few years ago.  There's no personality left in the stores, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Bustronaut said:

This, but for every aspect of our trip to NYC a few years ago.  There's no personality left in the stores, etc.

I'm of the opinion that if you went to sleep tonight and woke up in a random American city the only two that would actually feel different (not including weather) are New Orleans and Detroit.  We've scrubbed the personality out of almost everything in this country.  It's actually kind of sad.

• Like 5

I think the worst part of the MSG shows not selling out right away is that it's New York and there really isn't another city outside of maybe Chicago that is a wrestling town like NYC is.  That has to be concerning.  WWE should at least sell out their home games. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

We've scrubbed the personality out of almost everything in this country.

Don't know if you've ever seen this South Park episode that was about the "city part of town".  It's crazy how identical a lot of suburban areas are looking these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Re: Raw at MSG: If the main event of the show was Tracy Smothers having his long awaited rematch with the wrestling bear I would gladly pay 2k to sit front row.

Apparently Joey Jannella had a match with Tracy last night and Tracy being Tracy was dropping F bombs (the other f bomb) and had his confederate flag which Joey used to wipe his ass with.

• Haha 1