DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Have people seen the Mr. Hughes face turn?

Was that when his sunglasses broke and blinded him?

It looks that way from the bandage over his right eye.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Raw's ticket sales aren't awful, but it's not great (insert Chernobyl gif here). SmackDown's is pretty awful though.

Even though they're not that bad, they kind of are, though. I mean, this isn't even a house show, this is Raw at the freakin' Garden. Maybe it's the old timey WWF mark or NY homer in me I guess, but to me, it should still be a special building - Bruno, Backlund, Graham, Hulkamania, The Curtain Call, Cactus Jack, Eddy and [redacted] celebrating at WM XX, "The Garden will always be the Garden" etc. 

Maybe this is the era of buildings like Brooklyn, Bridgeport, Hartford, Providence, Worcester and Boston becoming more important as their northeast home bases. I'm gonna have to look up the recent numbers there later

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Have people seen the Mr. Hughes face turn?

I vaguely remember it leading into him being renamed as the Big Cat and teaming with Junkyard Dog? I loved that team up as a kid

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Raw's ticket sales aren't awful, but it's not great (insert Chernobyl gif here). SmackDown's is pretty awful though.

They dropped the MSG Raw/SD with 7 weeks to go until the shows.  With the recent lackluster shows, I'm not blaming people for not wanting to drop $50+ per person to see those shows. Hell, I'm blessed with a teeny bit of disposable income and I have no desire to see those shows live.  Especially at that price point.  

If they want the MSG shows to not just be "another arena" show, then god damn it, do something special other than "Baron Corbin vs. Seth Rollins in the main event."   Frankly, I'm shocked they didn't save the MSG return for something big like Survivor Series or the '21 Rumble.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

They dropped the MSG Raw/SD with 7 weeks to go until the shows.  With the recent lackluster shows, I'm not blaming people for not wanting to drop $50+ per person to see those shows. Hell, I'm blessed with a teeny bit of disposable income and I have no desire to see those shows live.  Especially at that price point.  

If they want the MSG shows to not just be "another arena" show, then god damn it, do something special other than "Baron Corbin vs. Seth Rollins in the main event."   Frankly, I'm shocked they didn't save the MSG return for something big like Survivor Series or the '21 Rumble.

I miss when WWE returned to MSG every two years: WrestleMania X, Survivor Series 1996, SummerSlam 1998, Royal Rumble 2000 and Survivor Series 2002. I also miss the distinctive entrance in the stands. Shame that's not used now.

• Like 3

Did the NJPW/ ROH MSG show sell out, or get close to it? Because if it did, getting outdrawn in your own (former) home arena, that's pretty embarrassing.

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I miss when WWE returned to MSG every two years: WrestleMania X, Survivor Series 1996, SummerSlam 1998, Royal Rumble 2000 and Survivor Series 2002. I also miss the distinctive entrance in the stands. Shame that's not used now.

Arena standardization sucks. As a relatively (last decade) new MSG attendee, I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to walk in and discover that it....looks just like every other arena in the country.

I get the reason behind it, but I wish arenas would take a cue from baseball and get some character back.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Did the NJPW/ ROH MSG show sell out, or get close to it? Because if it did, getting outdrawn in your own (former) home arena, that's pretty embarrassing.

MSG's wiki says capacity is 18,006 for wrestling, Cagematch lists G1 Supercard's attendance as 16.534, so close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Fair enough and that makes sense. Maybe my cue for the Chernobyl Dyatlov gif worked in ways I didn't expect...

31 minutes ago, AxB said:

MSG looked pretty full. I had to get my ticket from Stubhub.

Also something else to keep in mind

Sept 9th and 10th are after Labor Day so school is back in session - NYC schools (and most in the Tri-State area) start on Sept 5. so that is a really tough ask to have kids out that late (at least for RAW) on like the third day of school

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

The available seats were super expensive and were separate from the last time I looked before the show.   That being said, when I bought my ticket, I thought I was getting Omega/Cody/Bucks/etc -- I'm guessing at least half that arena felt the same way.   Still had a great time, but I honestly don't know if I would've spent the amount of money I did for a bunch of ROH guys I didn't know. 

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

If AAA outdraws them (HA!) later that week - that's embarrassing

A one off show during the biggest wrestling week of the year featuring wrestlers that many wrestling fans had never had the opportunity to see live - I wouldn't call that embarrassing. 

True. And if you charge twice as much for tickets and sell half as many, that's two identical box offices, regardless of attendance. But still. Seats without Butts on them is not a good look for anything except an empty arena match.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m sorry, but if Matt Taven, and The Beer City Bruiser outdraws you, then you should take a header off the top of MSG.

Because that was who was selling the ROH/New Japan.

From the WON

The show itself was a mixed bag. The general feeling is that even though the contracts were that New Japan and ROH each would get 50 percent of the show, the fans were very clearly there for New Japan. The only ROH matches that really got over involved ROH wrestlers working with New Japan talent. Plus, the two surprise angles didn’t play well with this audience. 

Let's dial back the hyperbole a little

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

MSG's wiki says capacity is 18,006 for wrestling, Cagematch lists G1 Supercard's attendance as 16.534, so close.

i think that is for the old set up when they came out the Knicks/Rangers locker room tunnel. Now with the stage set up the back end of the arena was closed off that lobs a couple thousand seats off the top. So in that regard just judging from what I saw I'd say it was pretty damn close to sold out.

Looks like Smackdown will be a really easy ticket to get. Also they might have to employ some WCW 2000 lighting tricks to make it look full.

• Like 1