DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Watching Raw en Espanol for the first time in... well forever today, I noticed quite a few guys like that in WWE. Mr. Kanellis and old "Woo Woo Woo" had a match that had to be the definition of "Just a guy doing stuff without being any good or without sticking out so much that we are going to discuss how much he sucks." But honestly that feels below the line to me.

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given his gimmicks, Al Snow might also be a good choice. 

I think his in-ring ability puts Al above the Mendoza line. I like @Niners Fan in CT choice of Tomko as wrestling's Mendoza line. Plus what @Curt McGirt said, the Head gimmick was really over, especially in ECW.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given his gimmicks, Al Snow might also be a good choice. 

Yeah but Al was a trainer and you have to give guys a break for that, right? If they're good enough to train they should be above the line. And really, the Head gimmick was OVER. Give him that too.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Dave on WOR said ticket sales for the WWE shows at MSG have been a gigantic disappointment. They expected AEW type instant sellouts, but not only didn't they sell out there are still tons left for both shows. They apparently realize they overpriced the shows (cheap seats for both are $50, and really closer to $70 after TicketScammer fees) and plan on taking corrective action (IE: Discounting tickets).

Checked out the ticketmaster website, and they are charging over 2 grand to sit in the first three rows. Yeah, they might have overpriced these shows.

• Like 1

Snow was capable of being a really good wrestler, but like many, he found a gimmick that was way over in an era where, at least in the midcard of WWF, that was way more important and valuable than having good matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Dave on WOR said ticket sales for the WWE shows at MSG have been a gigantic disappointment. They expected AEW type instant sellouts, but not only didn't they sell out there are still tons left for both shows. They apparently realize they overpriced the shows (cheap seats for both are $50, and really closer to $70 after TicketScammer fees) and plan on taking corrective action (IE: Discounting tickets).

$2000 for what is nowadays usually one of the worst kind of wrestling shows. That being a WWE live for TV wrestling show.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

And some of the best players in various sports were poor managers/coaches (ted Williams, Gretzky, bart starr). 

I'll take Magic Johnson for $500, Alex

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah but Al was a trainer and you have to give guys a break for that, right? If they're good enough to train they should be above the line. 

We putting "Big Cat" Curtis Hughes above the line then, or nah?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

$2 grand?  For those prices, I hope they're giving away an actual WWE wrestler with each purchase.

You get to take home any cruiserweight* of your choosing.

*applies only to those affiliated with 205Live

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

That's the problem. Not get into a whole "Fuck the rich" rant, but apparently if you can afford those seats, you also just sit on your hands. It's like the Vince Theatre joke from South Park. All the crowd noise is coming down from the cheaper seats. That's where families can afford to take the kids who do love this right now, and that's where all the smarky shit comes from as well. 

• Like 1

New Yankee Stadium lost a lot of the atmosphere that the old park had.  But that was just the beginning.  Same thing is happening with the Warriors and all over sports.  Crowds are getting worse as the teams get better and the rabid fans are priced out. 

• Like 1

Summerslam 2012 was on the Network yesterday. And the one thing that stood out the most? They had some band performing whatever was the theme song was. And then the Divas came out and go go danced! Imagine that happening today.