DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What's the name of those kicks that dude like Finn Balor do where they are on the apron and they hold on to the rope and kick a guy in the head before they reenter the ring?  Every damn indy wrestler in America does that spot and I fucking hate it with a passion.

Call it that ;). 

I'm not fond of that either but it doesn't vex me as much.

X-Pac had a pretty severe drug problem throughout the height of his run, right? Calling him a lazy worker when he was completely out of it for years seems a little harsh, even if he committed the heinous crime of being friends with Kevin Nash.

Being friends with Nash, is like being friends with Cassidy from Preacher. He’s partying like crazy, and doing mostly the same stuff you’re doing(Or he’s pulling the Dean Martin urban legend of drinking apple juice, when everybody thought he was swigging gin), but that stuff is dragging you down, while none of it effects Nash. Kevin Nash will live till he’s 100.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:54 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jumping off of this: Who would be the wrestler equivalent of the Mendoza line? 

I actually just ran an entire tournament on Facebook over the past couple weeks to determine the Most OK Wrestler ever. The finals were between The Warlord and Chris Harris, and ended in a tie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been lurking on here for probably like 15 years at this point. I rarely post, because I like to read stuff, but don't really care to argue, but how on Earth are you going to say Sean Waltman of all people is the Mendoza Line, when he was a tag team partner of Justin Fucking Credible? Has the level of conversation and thought on DVDVR sunk so badly that Sean Waltman isn't a good worker anymore? 

Unrelated, Rippa, thank you for repping for Bobby Eaton, as Bobby Eaton is indeed God. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Meltzing Pot said:

I've been lurking on here for probably like 15 years at this point. I rarely post, because I like to read stuff, but don't really care to argue, but how on Earth are you going to say Sean Waltman of all people is the Mendoza Line, when he was a tag team partner of Justin Fucking Credible? Has the level of conversation and thought on DVDVR sunk so badly that Sean Waltman isn't a good worker anymore? 

This is up to 13 likes as of the time of this post. For this board right now, I'd suggest that level of activity is pretty strong pushback on the idea in question.

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is up to 13 likes as of the time of this post. For this board right now, I'd suggest that level of activity is pretty strong pushback on the idea in question.

Yeah my bad I got a little ragey there. I'm better now.

Sean Waltman is a goddamn legend.

He was revolutionary at the start of his career. Amazing babyface. Great fire and comebacks and would get his ass kicked. Committed to getting booed and getting the babyface over when he was a heel. His X-Pac run wasn't my favorite but he managed to have good matches with Jericho, and a decent tag team with Kane.

And if you haven't seen any of his indy shit from the last 10 years, I highly recommend it.  The difference between his psychology and everyone else's is ridiculous. It's all in the timing, and in older age he's having better matches with lesser talent than he did at his peak.

And he's up for anything. Watched him wrestle Jay Bradley at a club. The club had columns and the columns had wrap around shelves to set drinks on. At one point in the match Jay Bradley alley-ooped him into the column so that Waltman would crotch himself and land on the shelf. By the time it was their match the shelf had empty glasses on it, and Waltman does the spot anyway crashing into the glasses. Great shit.

Mendoza Line my ass. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Brad Armstrong line would make a way better case as wrestling’s Mendoza line.

In what universe was Brad Armstrong anything less than very good? Do people just not understand the concept of the Mendoza Line?

• Like 3

If we're saying "below this line of quality you're terrible at your job", there are tons of guys worse than Billy Gunn that I'd say are just barely adequate wrestlers. Billy Gunn was a solid maybe even great tag wrestler. He got three different teams over with three different gimmicks. Rugged cowboy, preening douchebag, and ambiguously gay duo. Could do it as a face or a heel rather effectively. Could sell for a hot tag to Road Dogg or be a great hot tag himself.  Dynamic use of his body, as he could make himself look HUGE as a heel, or make himself smaller so e could work out from underneath. Wasn't great at promos in the sense of cutting people down, but his strength is more in dialogues and skits.   

Lance Storm....eh...I'm not a huge fan. Outside of his rolling crab and his entrance music, I can't remember much of anything from any match he ever had and I watched a LOT. It might be him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Meltzing Pot said:

In what universe was Brad Armstrong anything less than very good? Do people just not understand the concept of the Mendoza Line?

I’ve seen enough bad Brad Armstrong matches on JCP/WCW, and later WCW  recently to come away with thinking he had talent, but he’d slum it more often, than not in every decade he performed. 

Edit: I’m not just talking in-ring talent either. The man couldn’t cut a good promo, and had the charisma of a dead fish. At least Billy Gunn had an over gimmick, and sometimes could even talk. Brad had nothing when he went to the big time. Al “Fucking” Perez gave more in his little brief period with the big-time than Brad ever did.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

The high bar of "High flying babyface who changed style, because his moves were no longer spectacular by the changing standards of the business" is Brian Pillman. X-Pac does not reach that line. He's in the 'Good, but not great' category.

Also, only North Americans know what a Mendoza is, so me and Natural can use it out of context as much as we want.

In what world is the Warload equally as good as Wildcat Chris Harris? Harris was fantastic in TNA, Warlord couldn't even have a good match in WAR.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Caveat: Brad Armstrong is one of my top three favorite male wrestlers so I may be a bit biased.

If Brad Armstrong had been put under a mask as a heel, and given a consistent push with a manager to talk for him, I think we'd have a much different story. His body language was tremendous and if he had been a masked wrestler with someone else doing his talking, he could have been great.

8 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Caveat: Brad Armstrong is one of my top three favorite male wrestlers so I may be a bit biased.

If Brad Armstrong had been put under a mask as a heel, and given a consistent push with a manager to talk for him, I think we'd have a much different story. His body language was tremendous and if he had been a masked wrestler with someone else doing his talking, he could have been great.

I think Badstreet might’ve been the best use of him. 

Fuck, I just remembered that his brother Steve was even better than his ass when he was a Young Pistol.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

If he'd have been given a consistent anything, he'd have been good at it. Him vs Pillman was a solid feud that was cursed by having to follow Pillman vs Liger (it was better than Pillman vs Flamingo, but Raven wasn't himself yet). But he was also Baddstreet, Arachnaman and Buzzkill. Someone in WCW marked him as a guy who can get anything over (at a mid card level) and the mark stayed on him for decades.

12 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

freebirdsustags6mantags.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Someone in WCW marked him as a guy who can get anything over (at a mid card level) and the mark stayed on him for decades.

I’d like an asterisk over both those. I’m trying to think of a person he helped elevate on WCW TV at anytime. Don’t say Z-Man! Z-Man was legit a good worker, with charisma, and personality that got over with the fans.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Honest question: Is it: Great-Good-Mendoza- Average- Mediocre- Bad, or Great- Good- Average- Mediocre- Mendoza- Bad? Because if it's the latter, Waltman should be nowhere near it. If it's the former, he could be thereabouts.

Also, Z-Man was the sexiest man in WCW. While Rick Rude was there. And Rude is Pro Wrestling's Most Handsome Gentleman of all time, as this board truly knows.

• Like 1