DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

In the new WON - Meltzer said that someone reported that Harper was going back on the road but he (Dave) hasn't been able to confirm that with anyone in the WWE

And this week in Eric Bischoff's ever changing role

Bischoff was not at Raw or Smackdown this week. He actually started at work on 7/17. He ended up having no influence on Smackdown this past week and right now those in creative were told that he will most likely not be involved with the creative process and that it looks like his job will be to interface with all of the departments in the company as well as with FOX. However he is to be the leader of the Smackdown side of things, which currently has no leadership, just Ryan Ward and others pitching ideas to Vince.

59 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I always liked the skullet, too - the "every balding man MUST shave his head" deal doesn't necessarily work when you're trying to give wrestlers a unique look. Corbin had one. Now he doesn't.

But Vince probably believes Corbin is better off leaning on his ruggedly handsome face. So they cut the hair, and had him dress up, instead of down. 

I think the skullet is a terrible look, unless you have a ugly monster gimmick. But, I could see him bringing it back if he leans back into his biker /bounty hunter persona(that’s what I feel he should be repackaged as). Maybe wear a scarf like a headband to break up the baldness. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Braun's not even the best big man in WWE. Unfortunately, paying Luke Harper to sit home seemed like a better idea than utilizing him. Some of those hashtags are delusional. What butts is Braun putting in seats? It's probably best not to make such a claim when attendance has been down. Braun isn't entirely to blame. It's a WWE problem as a whole, not a Bruan problem. Until attendance goes back up, I'd have talent hold off on talking about putting butts in seats. 

I don't think Braun is to blame for any of it. The WWE have never had a clue of what to do with him, and they won't get behind him for longer than a few weeks at a time. Hard to be a draw under circumstances like that. 

He moved all the way from Wyoming to Connecticut for this job. I can't imagine him making this move for a role he could still do from his home in Wyoming.

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read it again because it's early. The way it's described it would make sense for him to move, but why make such a big deal out of bringing him in if he's not involved with creative? Or, well, I guess you make it look like a big deal to hype up investors.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Or, well, I guess you make it look like a big deal to hype up investors.

And considering how well the Wall Street types reacted to the news - it probably was the primary reason

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

It was a carny hire.

ftfy.

How about instead of Baron Corbin growing his skullet back, they send him home and give his push to the other long haired balding guy, Luke Harper?

Edit: Alternatively, make him Constable Corbin again, and make him paint landscapes. No, put him with Fandango and Tyler Breeze, and the Fashion Police's clueless rookie who has terrible style.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Chris Farley had a better shot of a successful rehab than Corbin does. 

I never understand this comment about how guys are beyond rehab/getting over.  You can get almost anyone back over with some strong booking.  Last Spring people on here were practically writing Bayley’s eulogy, they gave her a couple strong wins, tweaked her character in the most minimal way and she’s back to Women’s champ, and getting good pops.  All you’d have to do with Baron is have him turn face by beating up someone like Dolph or Sami, and fans would cheer him.  I’m not sure there is a wrestler in WWE whom you couldn’t get over with strong booking. 

Ps: I like Corbin’s current music way better than his old one!

Edited by caley

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I don't think Braun is to blame for any of it. The WWE have never had a clue of what to do with him, and they won't get behind him for longer than a few weeks at a time. Hard to be a draw under circumstances like that. 

Braun's not to blame. He was just giving the typical corporate speak. Like I said, it's a company problem, not a Braun problem.

35 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Y'all need to explain to me what you see in Luke Harper.  I'm completely not getting it.

I've been a fan since his indy days, but WWE had two chances to have him break away from Bray, turn face, and didn't capitalize. The fans were getting behind him when he was skeptical of Randy in the Wyatt Family. Much like Claudio, he works great as a base for small wrestlers. I said very early on that if he and Cesaro were given 20 minutes on ppv and held nothing back, they'd both be instantly over.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, caley said:

I never understand this comment about how guys are beyond rehab/getting over.  You can get almost anyone back over with some strong booking.  Last Spring people on here were practically writing Bayley’s eulogy, they gave her a couple strong wins, tweaked her character in the most minimal way and she’s back to Women’s champ, and getting good pops.  All you’d have to do with Baron is have him turn face by beating up someone like Dolph or Sami, and fans would cheer him.  I’m not sure there is a wrestler in WWE whom you couldn’t get over with strong booking. 

Ps: I like Corbin’s current music way better than his old one!

You can’t just turn Baron face. For one, Baron isn’t a face. Two, even if he turned face it still wouldn’t help his situation. He’ll be in the exact same spot just as a face. He needs a complete makeover. With his look, his character, and his motivation. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You can’t just turn Baron face. For one, Baron isn’t a face. Two, even if he turned face it still wouldn’t help his situation. He’ll be in the exact same spot just as a face. He needs a complete makeover. With his look, his character, and his motivation. 

The crowd will cheer just about anyone squashing guys.  Remember when people thought Strowman was the worst wrestler ever?! A couple weeks of squashing guys and everybody loved him.  Corbin’s got two really impressive power moves that people would cheer in squash matches.  I mean is there any more hateable character than The Miz?! Yet he gets significant pops and cheering from the crowd.  

4 minutes ago, caley said:

The crowd will cheer just about anyone squashing guys.  Remember when people thought Strowman was the worst wrestler ever?! A couple weeks of squashing guys and everybody loved him.  Corbin’s got two really impressive power moves that people would cheer in squash matches.  I mean is there any more hateable character than The Miz?! Yet he gets significant pops and cheering from the crowd.  

I don’t think he has enough personality(or any) to be over as a face as those two. Also Miz at least had the Talking Smack promo to build a foundation on before turning face. Baron doesn’t have that right now, and I don’t believe he ever will.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

What is X-Pac's career highlight, since he started using the name X-Pac? Because other than becoming a synonym for the wrong type of crowd scorn, I can't think of one. Arguably he was salvageable the whole time, but he never did get salvaged, did he? 

the "X-Punk" parody shirt worn by Shane McMahon when feuding with him and the introduction of the Mean Street Posse (and their theme song).

In other words, X-pac's contribution is Getting Shane Over.