DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Other than Montreal (and a ring apron), is there any proof that Vince has been in a legit physical confrontation let alone an actual fist fight? One swift kick to the knee and this man would go down in a heap.

Bret Hart also took him out with one punch.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bret Hart also took him out with one punch.

I think that's what was meant by "Montreal"

---------

Beer City Bruiser is awesome. He stole the show at Honor Rising 2018.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe Vince is part of an underground fight club in the province of Quebec called Terminal Combat.

Wait...that might be the plot for the Danny Trejo and Ken Shamrock movie Champions.

My bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

---------

He should go back to being Dinn T. Moore.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe Vince is part of an underground fight club in the province of Quebec called Terminal Combat.

Wait...that might be the plot for the Danny Trejo and Ken Shamrock movie Champions.

My bad.

I didn't know how much I needed a movie about Vince, Danny Trejo and Ken Shamrock in an underground Canadian fight club until RIGHT NOW

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Proof? No. In that Playboy interview he boasted about beating up Marines as a youngster. But he might have lied.

Can’t remember what book it was in but the story was that Vince and his friends would harass African-American soldiers from Ft. Bragg when they came into town. It’s doubtful any of the soldiers fought back since the local cops would have arrested them which could have lead to a court martial. 

46 minutes ago, happjack said:

Can’t remember what book it was in but the story was that Vince and his friends would harass African-American soldiers from Ft. Bragg when they came into town. It’s doubtful any of the soldiers fought back since the local cops would have arrested them which could have lead to a court martial. 

No wonder Vince sided with Shawn, and the Kliq’s misbehaving attitude so much.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

During the Pillman/Guerrero match where Pillman grabs Heenans jacket they mention on commentary that you could call the WCW hotline to hear Bischoffs thoughts on the Billionaire Ted skits WWF were doing at the time. 

Does anyone know what he said?

As an aside, I did find it funny when Tony said that as the Ted skit from the previous Raw was about Scheme Gene ripping people off with his hotline.

Edited by bazzil

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

---------

I swear I don't remember seeing Montreal in there...I blame my migraine and the marathon AEW show.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:32 PM, Tromatagon said:

Here they have frybread and sopapillas instead of elephant ears, but make them in a way where they're basically elephant ears instead of the traditional frybread or sopapilla.

Here we have frybread at least once a week. New Mexico, represent!  Salt, butter, and grease... Three of your basic food groups right there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I love Bruiser's size and abilities.  When I last tuned into ROH's TV he was out there with (just looked up his name) Brian Milonas doing the lamest New Age Outlaw-like intro that ruined both of them prior to the match.  I like both of those guys. I'd love to see Bruiser as a heel, with a manager, a slight alteration on the look, and a non-gimmicked real name.  Or like 'Beer City Bruiser' Matt ____ or whatever.  I always love seeing big thick (not cut) imposing performers with technical ability.

Just a quick bitch, I'm kinda new to wrestling in 2019 after a long absence, the sling blade version of the clothesline, which seems extremely prominent (I don't remember even seeing it back in the early oughts) is so ugly.  Some of these workers are good enough to make it look not embarrassing, but it always looks so weak. 

I also don't get the Meltzer Driver - 'no wasted motion', yeah!?! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I swear I don't remember seeing Montreal in there...I blame my migraine and the marathon AEW show.

"I've never hurt anyone inside the ring, outside the ring, you're dealing with Canada's greatest athlete!" 

Disconnect much, Bret?

15 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I love Bruiser's size and abilities.  When I last tuned into ROH's TV he was out there with (just looked up his name) Brian Milonas doing the lamest New Age Outlaw-like intro that ruined both of them prior to the match.  I like both of those guys. I'd love to see Bruiser as a heel, with a manager, a slight alteration on the look, and a non-gimmicked real name.  Or like 'Beer City Bruiser' Matt ____ or whatever.  I always love seeing big thick (not cut) imposing performers with technical ability.

Just a quick bitch, I'm kinda new to wrestling in 2019 after a long absence, the sling blade version of the clothesline, which seems extremely prominent (I don't remember even seeing it back in the early oughts) is so ugly.  Some of these workers are good enough to make it look not embarrassing, but it always looks so weak. 

I also don't get the Meltzer Driver - 'no wasted motion', yeah!?! 

Every time Dave types "Meltzer Driver" Chthulhu kills a baby seal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

It's sad that the majority of the board probably has no reference for this.  NewsRadio is one of the most underrated comedies ever.  Well, the first four seasons anyway.  The year post-Phil Hartman never happened.

Considering that NewsRadio has been pimped on this board forever I am not sure I agree with this.

Granted majority of folks don't venture out of the wrestling folder AND Sweetser and Jingus have vanished

But I will talk about how much I love a cane if necessary

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, happjack said:

That was Sex, Lies, and Headlocks, and unfortunately, that book can't even get basic dates and other research right, so it's not the most trustworthy source.

I totally believe that Vince would do something like that living in *checks* rural North Carolina in the '50s, but I need better confirmation...unless there is another book that said this stuff that you read it in. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Considering that NewsRadio has been pimped on this board forever I am not sure I agree with this.

Granted majority of folks don't venture out of the wrestling folder AND Sweetser and Jingus have vanished

But I will talk about how much I love a cane if necessary

I liked the episode of NewsRadio where they did a Halloween-themed episode for the sole purpose of pointing out how good Dave Foley looked in drag.

54 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That was Sex, Lies, and Headlocks, and unfortunately, that book can't even get basic dates and other research right, so it's not the most trustworthy source.

I totally believe that Vince would do something like that living in *checks* rural North Carolina in the '50s, but I need better confirmation...unless there is another book that said this stuff that you read it in. 

Could “Sex, Lies and Headlocks” have lifted it from sometime Irv Muchnick wrote? Now that I think of it some more I remember a Vince profile piece one of the sports shows where it’s brought up that Vince was a Juvenile Delinquent and one of the talking heads maybe Muchnick in the interview mentions the Ft. Bragg stuff. 

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I liked the episode of NewsRadio where they did a Halloween-themed episode for the sole purpose of pointing out how good Dave Foley looked in drag.

If you want Dave Foley in drag, and the rest of the troupe for that matter, you need the Kids in the Hall in your life. Foley may have been the best looking one in drag, or Scott Thompson.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, happjack said:

Could “Sex, Lies and Headlocks” have lifted it from sometime Irv Muchnick wrote? Now that I think of it some more I remember a Vince profile piece one of the sports shows where it’s brought up that Vince was a Juvenile Delinquent and one of the talking heads maybe Muchnick in the interview mentions the Ft. Bragg stuff. 

I grabbed the book off my shelf to look and see what we could find out. It has no references page, but it has an acknowledgements page, and Muchnick isn't listed there. That isn't to say that he might not have been the original source. 

But it does quote a Douglas Franks as giving this info about Vinnie McMahon back in the day, so maybe that came directly from him OR was lifted from a Muchnick column by Assael or Mooneyham, the authors and researchers, without proper credit. 

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Every time Dave types "Meltzer Driver" Chthulhu kills a baby seal.

He only kills what he eats.

(Or is it, "he only eats what he kills"?)

8 hours ago, bazzil said:

During the Pillman/Guerrero match where Pillman grabs Heenans jacket they mention on commentary that you could call the WCW hotline to hear Bischoffs thoughts on the Billionaire Ted skits WWF were doing at the time. 

Does anyone know what he said?

As an aside, I did find it funny when Tony said that as the Ted skit from the previous Raw was about Scheme Gene ripping people off with his hotline.

The WWE Archivist posted on twitter like a month or so ago that they found boxes and boxes of audio tapes from those 900 hotlines and other things from WCW and the WWF. So who knows, some of that stuff might be heard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

The WWE Archivist posted on twitter like a month or so ago that they found boxes and boxes of audio tapes from those 900 hotlines and other things from WCW and the WWF. So who knows, some of that stuff might be heard.

I hope it was drunk, belligerent Gene on the hotline.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope it was drunk, belligerent Gene on the hotline.

Give me a half-hour weekly show with new footage of drunk Gene outtakes and I'll get the network again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1