DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 06/26/19 (SPOILER FREE!)

Dolfan in NYC

NXT Women's Title (Steel Cage match) - Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Io Shirai

Non-Title:  Street Profits (c) vs. Forgotten Sons

Keith Lee vs. Nykos Rikos

NXT Breakout Tourney 1st Round Match - Angel Garza (fka Garza Jr.) vs. Joaquin Wilde  (fka DJZ)

Seriously, first ever women's cage?   That really doesn't sound right. 

That cage match was pretty boss save for Shayna winning. They're making the same mistake with her as they did with Asuka. Heel Io could be interesting though. Do we get Candace winning the title from Shayna only to lose to Io later?

I loved that opening match. Really perfect to introduce two flashy guys and the tournament itself.

That cage match ruled. Crap. I think that might be my favorite woman's match in a really long time. That was an awesome ending. It was really imaginative. Shayna B. is so friggin' great at professional wrestling. I really wish she was around when Bayley or Sasha were in NXT. That would have been awesome.

Io's heel turn at the end was awesome. I love a great and pointless heel turn due to someone snapping. Awesome beating. At the same time, I am absolutely rooting for Io to continue to beat the crap out of Candace who is pretty insufferable. But Io getting this much heel heat right after that turn really shows how great she is at the professional wrestling.

• Like 1

Garza has star written all over him, a bit of a combo of Andrade's cool with Del Rio's dickishness, and as an added plus his English is pretty good.

The cage match was pretty awesome too.  Hopefully Io get the heel run she deserves as her Stardom one was cut pretty short.  She's really good at exuding arrogance.

Garza/Wylde was the first time I've seen either guy. Thought it was a great showcase for both though Garza was the one leaving me wanting so much more of him. I only question why the hell he looks so much like Hector.

Street Profits/Forgotten Sons was more an angle to set up Street Profits vs. 1-2, and I have no issues with that.

Io/Shayna was damn good, definitely one of the better matches in Shayna's reign. Kind of loved that she won by sheer dumb luck. Io snapping and turning on Candice was great. I loved how Io at first realized she went too far only to say fuck it and go all in on trying to murder Candice. I really wish Io was champ, but I'm going to enjoy heel Io.

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

The cage match was pretty awesome too.  Hopefully Io get the heel run she deserves as her Stardom one was cut pretty short.  She's really good at exuding arrogance.

This. I'm still saddened Stardom didn't go the heel route when Io turned on Mayu and formed QQ. Io was wonderfully arrogant when she formed Heisei-gun with Yoshiko after 2014's GP final.

I also too dug this show, just a fun perfect wrestling program.

Garza looked like a money maker, and Wilde stayed strong. Each man wrestled differently and their personality was reflected by their ring style, as it should be. I guess WWE has had some mandate against oldschool in-ring heeling so it is nice to see someone that can wrestle dirty and get away with it. The announcing here was tremendous in getting these "new" workers over as well.

I have to give a big shout out to WBlake for sporting thee cowboy (not rodeo) boot rassling footwear in a sensual red/black - I did not know they even made these anymore...

Good cage match (old person mandatory interjection: "for not being able to get color, that is") - Bayzler is also a rare heel that wrestles like a heel, and Io Shirai snapping for puro wrestling reasons is so great, and Candy really deserves it, in my opinion.

Is NXT gearing up to get hot again?

- RAF

26 minutes ago, FakeWorker said:

How does that red-faced guy always get the same front row seat on every show?

I believe that's @flwrestlingfan on Twitter. He's basically the equivalent of ROH Streamer Guy. Travels to most of the Coconut Loop shows. I'm sure he's got some goodwill connections built up from his support.

• Like 1

Incredibly fun show!

Angel Garza has got "it." (Between Velveteen, Tyler Breeze, and Garza... you got a fantastic multifaceted stable oozing with charisma.)

I really dug goofy arse Nykos Rikos.

Yeah, that cage match was aces. I regret ever doubting Baszler, she's like Kurt Angle of the women's division... it just comes natural to her.

Don't know why I noticed it now but... Shirai is freakin fast running the ropes. I thought the girls simply didn't have the mass to run it as fast as the guy's but she fast. Can't wait for black latex dark Io Shirai.

Edited by turk128

8 hours ago, nofuture said:

My favorite part of the commentary was Nigel freaking out and telling Beth to cover her eyes when Garza stripped down to his tights while Beth goes "OH MY!"

I think he also said something like "you have a married woman here!"

Nigel is doing the heel commentator better than anyone in the WWE, and it's not even remotely close.  I dread him coming up to the main roster because Vince is going to turn him in Lecherous Corey 2.0.

Angel Garza's "Too Slow" to Red Face Fan instantly proves this Breakout Tournament is a fantastic idea.  

Dark Io is going to be wonderful.  However, I want her attacking everyone humanly possible, face and heel.  Shayna and the Horsewomen are Lawful Evil, Aliyah/Borne are Neutral Evil, make Io a psychotic Chaotic Evil.  

• Like 4

On 6/27/2019 at 3:15 AM, Eivion said:

Garza/Wylde was the first time I've seen either guy. Thought it was a great showcase for both though Garza was the one leaving me wanting so much more of him. I only question why the hell he looks so much like Hector.

Maybe you remember Wylde better as 

Spoiler

DJZ / Zema Ion / Shiima Xion.

Garza really staked his claim out there. Love him powering up like Taichi.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Something bothered me about the Keith Lee squash. @NikoBaltimore might know what it was. I did get a kick out of Nigel throwing in "OPA!".

I'll put it like this.  I assumed that was his entrance gear and as soon as the bell rang I turned the show off.  I did finish the episode but skipped the match save for the replay.  Even if Nigel threw in an "OPA!" I just can't, man.

And I'm so ready for Dark Side Io.That turn was freaking wonderful and I can't wait to see where things go from here.

43 minutes ago, Log said:

Candice and Johnny are adults who go to Disneyworld without children. 

They're already heels in my book.

Best way to experience the parks. Alone is even better. Don’t have to drag anybody’s tired ass around while you try to get every ride down in a day.

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'll put it like this.  I assumed that was his entrance gear and as soon as the bell rang I turned the show off.  I did finish the episode but skipped the match save for the replay.  Even if Nigel threw in an "OPA!" I just can't, man.

I get it. I don't like see one of our own squashed like a bug either. 

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Best way to experience the parks. Alone is even better. Don’t have to drag anybody’s tired ass around while you try to get every ride down in a day.

I agree. I'm a big alone-amusement-park guy.

• Like 1

-If the rest of the breakout tournament goes as well as this did, we are in for some fun television, ladies and gentlemen.

-just want to echo everyone's praises for the cage match. yes, Shayna's run as champ is getting stale but you can't argue how damn great she is at what she does. She's just such an ASSHOLE and it's awesome. Io's turn was very well done and I can't wait to see where we go from here.

-While I like Keith Lee, can we do something with him? Dude's just been....there since he debuted. He has good matches and all but I'd like to see something more out of the guy

4 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

-While I like Keith Lee, can we do something with him? Dude's just been....there since he debuted. He has good matches and all but I'd like to see something more out of the guy

This could be said about several people in NXT. The answer is, of course, "What's that? You want another year of Johnny Gargano and the Undisputed Era? You got it!!"