DVDVR Message Board

Mt Rushmore of Pro Wrestling

OSJ

1. Eddie Gurrero: My all time favorite, had the ability to work anywhere on the card, face or heel, work pretty much every type of match compellingly. Could talk and had charisma to connect with the audience. I liked face Eddie in WCW but when he turned into sleazy heel Eddie that's when he became one of my favorites to watch and grew into my favorite wrestler of all time. 

2. Bobby Heenan: Possibly the most entertaining wrestling personality ever. Always willing to make himself look bad to get others over because he knew he has the talent to stay over no matter what. One of the best wrestling announcers ever, if not the best. He was funny, he was over the top in the best way possible. He was a big part of me becoming a fan when I started watching. 

3. Bret Hart: His match with Mr Perfect at SS '91 is what cemented my fandom, it was the match that showed me the possibilities outside of the Hogan's and Ultimate Warriors (the guys my friends liked that got me into all this mainly Warrior) and I loved it. Going into that match I actually liked Hennig more and he'd probably have this spot if he didn't have to take time off for his back cause Hart kept me interested as a new fan and kept me watching. I was very happy when he won the big belt and enjoyed that the main events would have the kind of matches I wanted to see. Bret was another guy who could excel anywhere on the card like Eddie could you knew if Bret was on the show that he'd entertain you.

4. The last spot is a hard one, there are a lot of guys I could put here, Nakamura helped keep me a fan when my interest was near it's lowest, Foley and Jericho were two of my favorites at one time, CM Punk is still near the top of my list but I also missed some of his highest points due to overall lack of interest in the product, Bryan and Joe are also two all time favs of mine, Okada might be the best wrestler I've ever got to watch live in their prime, but I'm going to give the last spot to Tetsuya Naito my current favorite. Naito has given me my love for watching wrestling back. I actually care if he wins or loses, I remember how gutted I was when Jericho beat him for the IC title and when he lost to Okada at WK and how elated I was when he won the G1 or beat Ibushi for the IC belt. I'm invested in him like I haven't been to a wrestler in a very long time, probably since Eddie really. He's an amazing talent who also sometimes scares the hell out of me with the things he decides to be part of but he draws me in in a way that I hadn't felt for a really long time. 

1. Bret Hart: When I was a kid, it was Bret who epitomised wrestling for me. From the sunglasses, personality and style, everything he did drew me in. As I got older, I was able to appreciate him even more as I started to understand more about the psychology of a match and how he could make everything count and draw great matches out just about anyone on any given day. 

2. Chris Jericho: I faded out of wrestling around 96 and I came back in late 99/early 2000 and Jericho was the guy I gravitated towards. A lot of similar reasons ro Bret, but maybe with more personality/flair. His ability to adapt and repackage himself has kept me a huge fan over the years, from going back and watching old Monday Night Jericho to suit wearing 2008 Jericho to even whatever Jericho is in 2019. 

3. Hiroshi Tanahashi: I had another gap period from wrestling between 2007 and 2012 and what brought me back in was the Tanahashi v Suzuki march from October 2012. I always liked young Tanahashi from 2003-4 (one of the few bright sparks from New Japan of that time) but never anticipated how good he would become. His charisma is probably what stands out most to me as he's just always able to draw me in no matter what. Great worker as with Bret and Jericho, though I do hope he slows down a bit and lets his body recover so he can have a few more years in the limelight. 

4. Kazuchika Okada: The guy who keeps me into wrestling today, his original rainmaker push was the first time in god knows how long I had truely been caught off guard and legitimately excited to see what was going to happen, and to see how much he has grown since then has been fantastic. A chameleon in that he can adapt to any match or situation, the fact he is still quite young and putting on awesome matches regularly gives him my final spot over Liger and Hayabusa, the two guys who influenced me to really look into Puro and the Japanese scene.