DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules XI - 7/14/2019

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's almost like all those "inserting Charlotte is for the long term health of the division" arguments were incredibly stupid and wrong.

It's almost like inserting Charlotte into the main event of WrestleMania despite it being an objectively bad idea was a bad idea.

WTF are you talking about? No one made an argument for the first thing you mentioned, and the actual issue when it comes to the health of the entire division was actually the focus on just three women for 6-8 months.

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

WTF are you talking about? No one made an argument for the first thing you mentioned, and the actual issue when it comes to the health of the entire division was actually the focus on just three women for 6-8 months.

"Nobody" in this case being Dave Meltzer and which ever sources he had in WWE that told him that was WWE'S actual reasoning for making it a triple threat.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

"Nobody" in this case being Dave Meltzer and which ever sources he had in WWE that told him that was WWE'S actual reasoning for making it a triple threat.

Ah, hadn't heard that one. Doesn't make sense in any way shape or form so it was dumb. Still doesn't change that Charlotte out of the match still wouldn't have fixed any of the problems for the division on the whole so it was a weird thing to bring up here. 

38 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Ah, hadn't heard that one. Doesn't make sense in any way shape or form so it was dumb. Still doesn't change that Charlotte out of the match still wouldn't have fixed any of the problems for the division on the whole so it was a weird thing to bring up here. 

It did exactly what I thought it would: it watered down the match and Becky's win, stalling her momentum while also clearly establishing nobody else in the division matters but those three, leaving them in the current mess where they have no clear, credible challenger for Becky.

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It did exactly what I thought it would: it watered down the match and Becky's win, stalling her momentum while also clearly establishing nobody else in the division matters but those three, leaving them in the current mess where they have no clear, credible challenger for Becky.

If Charlotte wasn't in the match there would still be no clear, credible challenger to Becky. The damage it did to Becky's momentum was already brought up earlier, and it made no sense to bring up in terms of the division on the whole. I already brought that focusing on just three women hurt the division. If Charlotte wasn't involved all that means is the the three people issue would have turned into a two people issue.

• Like 1

Meltzer said that Rousey left the division in the tubes. Not really true. It's just that Vince McMahon put the rocket ship on Lacey Evans when she was nowhere near close to being ready. When Asuka was right there and they could've spent months building up to some sort of showdown with Asuka putting on some psychotic clown makeup and stalking Becky, a woman Asuka had already defeated cleanly and somehow became the first double women's champion.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

It’s partly a product of injuries and partly Becky having the most protected booking in the company for over a year, (remember that even before Summerslam they had her beat Charlotte clean and then every heel on SDL clean) but the Raw scene feels so stale because no one feels like a credible threat. Becky’s act resonated vs Charlotte and Ronda because it felt like she was punching up, but it comes off as punching down against other opponents. You know Becky’s going to win anyway so what’s to be invested in? She’s been given everything (for the sake of Becky 2 Belts shirts) so you can’t buy her as an underdog anymore. While I think her winning at Mania was the right call, even the Mania build was marred by the convoluted booking that came from Vince choosing Becky to win the Rumble (a lot of those beats would have meant more if she was getting into the match rather than back in) and it feeling so predictable that she’d win after she did things like easily beating Ronda’s Beat the Clock time even after Charlotte interference. I get why they pushed her so hard, but it’s had real consequences and unfortunately suggests ways in which her act could prove to be a short-term one. Getting to the top is great but staying there is hard, and doing so when Vince is so clearly behind you is even harder. 

Edited by RIShane
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Meltzer said that Rousey left the division in the tubes. Not really true. It's just that Vince McMahon put the rocket ship on Lacey Evans when she was nowhere near close to being ready. When Asuka was right there and they could've spent months building up to some sort of showdown with Asuka putting on some psychotic clown makeup and stalking Becky, a woman Asuka had already defeated cleanly and somehow became the first double women's champion.

Honestly, I feel like so much could have been solved this year and last year had they just gone with crazed clown face paint Asuka. They had the perfect setup twice and still managed to avoid it for whatever reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing is the writers find it frustrating to write for someone who’s 2nd language is English. Vince wants his wrestlers to speak, and if they can’t he’ll cut off whatever plans they’ve had for them. I know, it doesn’t explain why they keep putting Seth Rollins in a top spot. But it’s Vince’s world, so don’t expect logic.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

If Charlotte wasn't in the match there would still be no clear, credible challenger to Becky. The damage it did to Becky's momentum was already brought up earlier, and it made no sense to bring up in terms of the division on the whole. I already brought that focusing on just three women hurt the division. If Charlotte wasn't involved all that means is the the three people issue would have turned into a two people issue.

if Charlotte was not in the WM march, then she is the next challenger. In this case, her "exclusion" becomes the further justification for her anger towards Becky Lynch. It would have been easy to set up on the next night at RAW. This is basic booking.

- RAF

• Like 1

I haven’t finished RAW yet so I dunno who ends up as Becky’s Summerslam opponent - but neither of those four excite me as much as what they could have had right there by having Brock cash in after the 3rd curbstomp but before the pin, have Lacy claim to be the women’s champ since Seth got pinned by Brock during the match and let Becky chase her for a month until Summerslam.