DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules XI - 7/14/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I honestly remember the first time I thought that the New Day could be a huge, huge deal - the introduction of Fracesca I. You already had Kofi finding completely new life as a heel where he was basically reborn as a big deal in WWE, Big E was always awesome and he was actually being used, and Creed was allowed to actually use his trombone at ringside. Sometime around then when they started getting over as faces I wanted to see Kofi get a run with the World title. That may have been around the first time Xavier and Big E both said that their goal was to get Kofi a World title run.

Obviously the fear is always what Vince is going to do and somehow, someway, Xavier and the rest figured out the cheat code for Vince. Go figure.

But anyway, it took some time, but I think more than a few of us knew that New Day was capable of a run like this, it's just would they get that chance. It's awesome they did and they've continued to make the most of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave brought up a good point,  Becky is losing steam and she has nobody to face right now.  Both women's division need something,  they have Asuka & Kairi sitting around doing nothing,  Ember Moon I guess has a story with Mandy/Sonya but it ain't been going anywhere.  

Gee. I wonder why the women's division is currently dead in the water when you had Becky drop the title to Asuka and had a feud all ready to go post-WM and then Asuka flat out disappeared and Lacey Evans got hot shotted to the top contender way way too soon.

I think everything going on with Bayley at this point is more interesting than whatever Becky has going on with Lacey.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave brought up a good point,  Becky is losing steam and she has nobody to face right now.  Both women's division need something,  they have Asuka & Kairi sitting around doing nothing,  Ember Moon I guess has a story with Mandy/Sonya but it ain't been going anywhere.  

I think Becky Lynch lost some steam in the build towards WrestleMania XXXV with WWE overbooking the simple Ronda Rousey/Lynch match into a triple threat with Charlotte Flair. Becky Lynch has lost a lot of momentum since with the Lacey Evans program and her relationship with Seth Rollins going on camera.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I feeling fairly positive that Sasha is returning to be Becky's Summerslam challenger

That would be a step in the right direction.

Hell, if they want someone new to challenge Becky if this whole thing with Sasha doesn't work out, then I would have no qualms with Shayna coming up to be the monster that Becky can't yet beat.

It's beyond time for Shayna to drop the strap and move up to the main roster. She's too good in the ring and on the mic and she isn't getting any younger. Unfortunately that means Thing 1 and Thing 2 will be left in NXT without a leader and I think they need Shayna a lot right now.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I may be naive here...I'm thinking Sasha Banks might not be back.

I think she'll be back at some point because this isn't going to be a Neville situation for her where she can sit out long enough for them to just outright release her. She likes performing and she has to realize that if she wants out of her contract at some point then she's going to need to work the rest of her dates.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And here is the full Watch Along show - which honestly might be the better way to consume PPVs now

Does it make me a bad person that I enjoyed watching the IIconics bully Sam Roberts throughout that video? Something like "Did you have to copy Byron Saxton? Did you call him up and ask him, 'What are you wearing tonight? Well, I better wear the same thing.'"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky started losing steam in the build to WM. Charlotte being put and kept in the match muddled things, and Becky hasn't been given any worthwhile feuds post WM. Lacey was fine for a one and done, but 2-3 months of feuding with Becky was too much. They really need Sasha to return or Shayna to come up. Asuka and Kairi sat around doing nothing for about 4 weeks. For the last 3-4 weeks now though they have been building to the eventual title match between them and IIconics. Even if Asuka was used as a singles I'm pretty sure she would have been pushed against Bayley instead of Becky. Kairi is great, but she had basically no momentum moving up to the main roster. Ember's feud with Mandy and Sonya has gotten her more focus than anything she did previously on the main roster. They have just been moving a little too slowly with it. 

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I may be naive here...I'm thinking Sasha Banks might not be back.

Its entirely possible, but she would be waiting even longer than Neville did for a release and missing out on any potential changes in a positive direction which would see the roster and other promotions move past her while she does nothing. The recent trip to Japan points to her not really wanting to wait for that so I think she comes back, especially if Vince actually does end up more handoffs with Heyman and Bischoff coming in.

• Like 1

They're advertising Nattie vs Carmella vs Naomi vs Alexa on Raw tonight to determine Becky's SS opponent. I hope Naomi wins as that would be a fresh program but get the sinking feeling Alexa is going to win courtesy of Nikki's shenanigans. Or maybe her interference backfires and they start up the Nikki/Alexa feud?

Bringing Sasha back would send the message that anyone can sit at home refusing to work and be rewarded with a title shot/high profile match for it. The women that have endured the shitty booking and still made all their dates might either take issue with that, or decide that's what they need to do to get Vince's attention. Wouldn't be the best thing for morale - we saw how the rest of the locker room felt when Shawn Michaels was permitted to call his own shots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

They're advertising Nattie vs Carmella vs Naomi vs Alexa on Raw tonight to determine Becky's SS opponent. I hope Naomi wins as that would be a fresh program but get the sinking feeling Alexa is going to win courtesy of Nikki's shenanigans. Or maybe her interference backfires and they start up the Nikki/Alexa feud?

The only match that would have a halfway chance of being good is Becky vs. Naomi.    This division is in trouble. 

• Like 1

Yeah, but then who?  

Outside of Alexa & Nikki who just lost their SDL title bid, Naomi and maybe Nattie are the only ones remotely credible to the title.  Ruby, Nia, and Alicia Fox are all hurt.   Sarah Logan hasn't been on TV since the split. Dana is still a reclamation project. Ronda's on sabbatical.  Zelina is not a credible threat.   

Sasha checks all the boxes and works infinitely better as a heel, which this shot would require.  It's not like I'm saying she should win the title right away, but outside of bringing up Shayna or Bianca (who isn't ready), there's no one left. 

(Christ, looking at both rosters the only one on SDL who could take the shot (barring Charlotte) is Mandy, and she is not a credible threat.)

Well I'm just confused as to why Asuka and Kairi are in a tag team and why Ember Moon hadn't been used until recently.  They are all over or were over to varying degrees and they can all deliver in the ring which IS important and expected in today's women's wrestling. 

26 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Bringing Sasha back would send the message that anyone can sit at home refusing to work and be rewarded with a title shot/high profile match for it. The women that have endured the shitty booking and still made all their dates might either take issue with that, or decide that's what they need to do to get Vince's attention. Wouldn't be the best thing for morale - we saw how the rest of the locker room felt when Shawn Michaels was permitted to call his own shots. 

Hey, if it works for Brock.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we magically get Rousey back to challenge Becky before Summerslam. The I miss wrestling bit that Ronda did blended with Becky talking her up more in interviews seems to be foreshadowing.

33 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

None of those really feel like a SummerSlam fit at the moment. Alexa being the only heel but coming off constantly losing on the other brand. I'd go with Natalya going back to when she used to beat becky all the time 2-3 years ago, but she has hardly been used as of late. Around this time last year, they did another 4 way that was one of my favorite TV matches of last year (Natalya/Alexa/Ember/Sasha) which Natalya also won. Too bad this one will likely be shorter and is only elimination so they can pause for commercial break.

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we magically get Rousey back to challenge Becky before Summerslam. The I miss wrestling bit that Ronda did blended with Becky talking her up more in interviews seems to be foreshadowing.

And Heyman booking. 

It's almost like all those "inserting Charlotte is for the long term health of the division" arguments were incredibly stupid and wrong.

It's almost like inserting Charlotte into the main event of WrestleMania despite it being an objectively bad idea was a bad idea.