DVDVR Message Board

Movies You Have To See Some Of Whenever On TV

Curt McGirt

You don't have to watch the whole thing (though you might) but you'll tune in just to see some of it.

For me, Master and Commander is a big one for whatever reason... probably just because it's great. Robocop, you always have to see where it's at so you can quote it. And for some reason I've taken a shine to always flipping to The Death of Stalin. It always gets a laugh, I can't help it.

• Like 2

The Big Lebowski. Doesn't matter that I've seen it dozens of times, and own it on both physical and digital. I can't not watch at least a few minutes.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

Whenever Full Metal Jacket is on, I always watch the Paris Island part and then skip the rest.   

Which is sad because the end of the movie is tremendous.

As for the movie I tend to watch all the way through whenever it's on, that would their be Fight Club or Skyfall.

Skyfall seems to be on nearly every other day on Syfy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Whenever Full Metal Jacket is on, I always watch the Paris Island part and then skip the rest.   

Which is sad because the end of the movie is tremendous.

Same here. Doubt we're the only ones.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Big Lebowski. Doesn't matter that I've seen it dozens of times, and own it on both physical and digital. I can't not wash at least a few minutes.

This. Of course I'll watch the whole thing.

The only problem with Lebowski is it comes on edited too often. But if it's on a premium channel, that whole thing is going in my eyeballs. 

Re: Full Metal Jacket, it depends on the mood. I'll always stop to watch Hartman's ranting, but will break for post-Parris Island moments as well. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only problem with Lebowski is it comes on edited too often. But if it's on a premium channel, that whole thing is going in my eyeballs. 

Yeah, but it also has the most hilarious TV edit scene ever.

"Do you see what happens Larry? Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

• Haha 1

MidnightRun and Running Scared are 2 movies that if they are on, they get watched. Doesn't matter if it is the beginning, middle or last 15 minutes, those 2 get watched!

James

• Like 1

I cut the cord a long time ago so channel surfing is some archaic thing that old people do. But when I did, the answer would have been The Wanderers. You can't jump into a bad spot anywhere in that movie. In fact I should have given it an honorable mention at the very least when we did the All Time poll.  No idea what I was thinking.

Edited by Execproducer

Any of the Rocky movies (even 5). I don't know what it is, but whenever I used to come across a Rocky movie on tv I would just wind up watching it from whatever point it was at until the end or until I had to do something else.

• Like 1

There was a while back when I had cable, I could turn on the television and always run into one of two movies: "Van Helsing" and "Deep Blue Sea."  God help me, every time I'd tune in to whatever scene, I wouldn't move the channel.  Dunno why.

Also, but this was when I was younger and, Judas wept, did TBS play this thing into the ground, but "Blues Brothers."

Well, they definitely did, but how could you ever turn off Blues Brothers? At the very least, you're always starting at a point where "if I wait ten minutes, [Awesome Performance X] will be on, I should at least watch through that" and next thing you know, you're muttering about hating Illinois Nazis.

• Like 2