DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

What a day!

City pay Rodri's clause as @odessasteps mentioned, but Atleti already have his replacement lined up -- Marcos Llorente from Real Madrid...

Today they confirmed the signing of:

https://twitter.com/atleti/status/1146334405356675072?s=21

Felipe from Porto...

Héctor Herrera free from Porto...

And the big unveiling and Griezmann's replacement, João Félix from Benfica.

Hiring Berhaldter is looking like a gigantic mistake. We are closer to Haiti or Canada right now than Mexico. If they HAD to hire an American coach why the heck didn't they hire Jesse Marsch?

I can think of no better argument for equal pay than the US Women winning a worldwide tournament and the US Men losing a regional tournament on the same day. 

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I can think of no better argument for equal pay than the US Women winning a worldwide tournament and the US Men losing a regional tournament on the same day. 

Pay them more. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think IF there is a market to do it, it may be the USA. 

Football is very much a supply and demand thing. I don't know about the World Cup, but Women's Bundesliga doesn't nearly generate the same numbers as Men's Bundesliga. It'll be tough to pay a female Player as much as a Male player right now without it being a financial suicide. 

However, I always understood that interest in Women's footie seemed the United States of America comparably high as Men's. Which is definitly not to be said for a lot European countries. 

16 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

I think IF there is a market to do it, it may be the USA. 

Football is very much a supply and demand thing. I don't know about the World Cup, but Women's Bundesliga doesn't nearly generate the same numbers as Men's Bundesliga. It'll be tough to pay a female Player as much as a Male player right now without it being a financial suicide. 

However, I always understood that interest in Women's footie seemed the United States of America comparably high as Men's. Which is definitly not to be said for a lot European countries. 

It's rough, because US interest in Women's footy only translates to the World Cup or other big International Tournies.  Come regular club seasons, no one shows up (much like the WNBA)  That's the justification that the USSF has used to keep the national pay down, even though the WNT preforms exponentially better in International Play than the MNT ever did.  That and the USSF foots the bill for the National Player's Club salaries so as to not kill the NWSL (This incarnation's been running for 5 years and already lost 2 teams.)

I mean, I'm on the side of paying the WNT equally to the MNT especially because they actually win and the MNT can't even qualify for a World Cup anymore, but we can yell all we want, if we don't show up to games and buy tickets/watch it on TV, there's no money to do it.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

I mean, I'm on the side of paying the WNT equally to the MNT especially because they actually win and the MNT can't even qualify for a World Cup anymore, but we can yell all we want, if we don't show up to games and buy tickets/watch it on TV, there's no money to do it.

If Sky Blue wasn't a 2.5 hour trip in each direction, we'd be hitting their matches up.

CONCACAF announced the format for 2022 WC Qualifying:

Top 6 teams will qualify for the "final" round of qualifying: Top 3 qualify, 4th place to playoff

Rest of CONCACAF: Divided into 8 qualifying groups: Group Winners advance to a playoff, the survivor out of the playoffs will play against the 4th place team from the Hex to get that .5 spot (International playoff)

So, these six teams would comprise the hex if it was drawn today

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador

Canada, Panama, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago would be in the qualifying groups (amongst others)

https://twitter.com/PaulCarr/status/1148974856735772672

And just for the record - not that it isn't happening but that Guardian story is from Oct 2016

Now from today's story over on ESPN

The top six-ranked teams in the FIFA rankings after the June 2020 international window will automatically be included in the home-and-away Hexagonal. The top three will qualify for Qatar 2022.

Gold Cup winner Mexico is currently a long way ahead of those outside the top six, meaning it's virtually inconceivable that El Tri won't be in the Hex, while the United States and Costa Rica are both comfortably positioned.

Jamaica, Honduras and El Salvador currently make up the top six, while Panama, Canada, Curacao, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti are all pushing forward.

The teams that aren't in the Hexagonal will be involved in a separate tournament involving the teams ranked between seventh and 35th. Those 29 teams will be drawn into eight groups, with the winners of those groups advancing to a knockout phase. The country that wins the knockout phase will play against the fourth-placed finisher in the Hexagonal in October 2021 for a spot in the FIFA intercontinental playoff.

some folks were doing math, and their conclusions were that the sixth spot was the only one realistically up for grabs as there's only 11 months, and a lot of the teams involved have CONCACAF nations league games.

edit: From the 2016 Guardian article, 

Concacaf president Victor Montagliani has instigated a review of an “archaic” format that leaves only six out of the region’s 35 teams still in with a shot at qualifying for Russia in 2018.

The end result?

The format that leaves only six out of the region's 35 teams still in with a shot for DIRECT QUALIFICATION for QATAR  in 2022.

Plus ca change., Plus ca le meme chose..

Or as the Who would sing: "MEET THE NEW BOSS.. SAME AS THE OLD BOSS"

Edited by SirFozzie

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And just for the record - not that it isn't happening but that Guardian story is from Oct 2016

Now from today's story over on ESPN

Could they have at least shown SOME integrity here and made it that the top 2 in the Hex qualify, 3rd plays other group winner for direct spot and 4th plays other group runner up for the half spot? 

If I got to be the CONCACAF grand poobah...

Hex is done. Two five team groups. Winners qualify straight to WC, runners up play a two-leg series. Winner to the cup, loser to the playoff with another confederation.

How to get to 10 teams? Most recent Gold Cup winner goes automatically to the 10. Other 34 countries go into 9 groups. 7 groups with 4 teams, 2 groups with 3 teams.

This way, everyone but the Gold Cup winner has the same chance to qualify. Lower ranked teams get more games, and against better competition.

This will clearly never happen, because the mandate of CONCACAF is to find ways for the USA to host Mexico and make money off the Mexican fans as often as possible, but it is nice to dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1