DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2019

Dolfan in NYC

The Ladies are doing their thing in France with the knockout stage beginning very soon. 

In MLS, a bunch of cities are clawing over each other to get expansion teams.  Raleigh just announced a $1.9 BILLION(!) project for a stadium/surrounding area.   They'll probably be competing with Las Vegas for the final expansion slot (because professional soccer played in 105F (50C) temperatures won't be at all problematic).   San Diego is also in the running. 

The winner of this feud will probably join St. Louis and Sacramento as MLS expansion sites in '22.   (Miami & Nashville begin next year, Austin starts in '21).

I swear to god, I never thought I'd live to see a 30 team soccer league in the United States. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I swear to god, I never thought I'd live to see a 30 team soccer league in the United States. 

I was going to say I never thought I'd live to see it happen again, but the original NASL topped out at 24 teams. As a kid I was really spoiled by those Cosmos squads (the original Galacticos) getting 70K at Giants Stadium...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Louisville is building a stadium. Are they not in the running?

They're "Focused on USL" but would "jump to MLS" if given the chance.    So... I guess?   

I mean, it would make sense to take an established team, but there's no way in hell an American league is going to introduce promotion/relegations.   

Orlando City were a USL team that got promoted (like two years after relocating from Austin, Texas). Largely because Davey Becks chose Miami and they wanted a Florida derby, only Orlando had a headstart because of already having a stadium, a squad, a management team, fans... and Isn't it Miami had none of those things. And still don't.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Ladies are doing their thing in France with the knockout stage beginning very soon. 

In MLS, a bunch of cities are clawing over each other to get expansion teams.  Raleigh just announced a $1.9 BILLION(!) project for a stadium/surrounding area.   They'll probably be competing with Las Vegas for the final expansion slot (because professional soccer played in 105F (50C) temperatures won't be at all problematic).   San Diego is also in the running. 

The winner of this feud will probably join St. Louis and Sacramento as MLS expansion sites in '22.   (Miami & Nashville begin next year, Austin starts in '21).

One of my best friends said it best years ago: MLS is basically a ponzi scheme.

Congratulations to Curaçao for a historic victory over Honduras in the Gold Cup this evening. Their first goal ever in the tournament and their first victory. 

Univision commentators were lamenting this was a horrific low period for Honduras football.

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Rafa does not renew contract. Will leave NUFC this weekend.

Understandable. Fair play to Rafa Benitez staying as long he had under fuckin' Mike Ashley's regime.

Edited by The Natural

Fuck the Mike Ashley. 

Canada (the men's team, for once) has been playing some beautiful, attacking football at the Gold Cup, outside of the terribly taken penalty kick yesterday against Cuba. 

• Like 2

Spain vs Germany in the Under 21 European Championship Finals.

Saw a bit of Germany beating Romania 4-2, both deciding goals coming very late (90th, 90+3rd Minute) from direct freekicks. Seemed like a fun game. Spain beat France 4-1 after France took an early lead. All four semi-finalists qualified for the 2020 Olympics. 

Spain got their Payback for two years ago, winning 2-1 in the Under 21 championship. Beautiful early goal from Spain, Germany took control afterwards, but a second goal from Spain decided it. Only a late consolation goal. Not a bad game at all. 

Edited by ReiseReise

I will go out on a limb and predict that Haiti will shock Mexico in the Gold Cup semis. Haiti is looking real good, Ochoa has always been overrated for Mexico.

Placide was a monster in goal vs Mexico 11 years ago in a sub-23 Concacaf Olympic tournament that Mexico didn't qualify for even though they blew out Haiti. The only play Ochoa had to make in that game he didn't and many Mexican careers were ruined that night. 

Haiti's goalkeeper for the semis: Johnny Placide.

Edited by cubbymark
Forgot something