DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Freaky Hour - 6/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Custos said:

It's a shame that the positivity around this week's shows is not borne out in the ratings.

Yes they are not the be-all end-all by any means, but Smackdown hit an all-time non-holiday low of 1.27 (last Xmas day was 1.24) with 1.8m watching. The 18-34 demo was a third of what it was this time last year (0.34 vs 0.96).

Surely they can't keep on tanking like this without some serious challenge at the quarterly shareholder call, or by FOX execs. Or do they just ignore it and keep swimming Scrooge McDuck style in the vast pool of Saudi and TV money and ignore the issues. 

Obviously its multi-causal, but I didn't think a show with 45-50 minutes of time spent on Dolph Ziggler and Shane McMahon would rate well.

6 minutes ago, RIShane said:

Obviously its multi-causal, but I didn't think a show with 45-50 minutes of time spent on Dolph Ziggler and Shane McMahon would rate well.

On the other hand, my "DVR it, and fast forward every time Shane, Dolph, Seth, or Baron are on screen" policy has made the shows a breeze to get through.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Custos said:

It's a shame that the positivity around this week's shows is not borne out in the ratings.

I'm surprised there was positivity about this show in the first place. Felt like a waste of time to me. It's Raw redux again. God knows why you'd want to stick around and watch KO and Zayn lose AGAIN in the main event. It's boring as fuck. All the mid card remains in catering. 

The only good bit was Moment of Bliss and even that felt like the death of the poor Bayley character (again). They can't write for shit.

Edited by scatterheart
  • Like 1

With the sort of weird booking of Bayley and Alexa's feud, am I the only one that thinks there might be a double turn? They seem to be pushing the idea that Alexa is only using Nikki Cross and isn't really her friend so hard, to the point where Nikki would look like a moron if she doesn't see it coming since everyone is already warning her. And they already pointed out Alexa's betrayed all her friends in the past, so the audience should see it coming too. Maybe it's all a diversion and it turns out Bayley really is a jealous bully and she cheats to retain at Stomping Ground. But then again, maybe I'm giving these writers a little too much credit and we get the usual "Alexa is a conniving bitch who stabs everyone in the back" story we've seen a hundred times before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

With the sort of weird booking of Bayley and Alexa's feud, am I the only one that thinks there might be a double turn? They seem to be pushing the idea that Alexa is only using Nikki Cross and isn't really her friend so hard, to the point where Nikki would look like a moron if she doesn't see it coming since everyone is already warning her. And they already pointed out Alexa's betrayed all her friends in the past, so the audience should see it coming too. Maybe it's all a diversion and it turns out Bayley really is a jealous bully and she cheats to retain at Stomping Ground. But then again, maybe I'm giving these writers a little too much credit and we get the usual "Alexa is a conniving bitch who stabs everyone in the back" story we've seen a hundred times before. 

You're giving the writers way too much credit and you're going to get the usual "Alexa is a conniving bitch who stabs everyone in the back" story we've seen a hundred times before. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I always think they'd be fools to turn Bayley heel since she's just generally so damn likeable (when booked right)  But every so often she shows something makes me think it may just be crazy enough to work.  And she's been wanting to change things up for some time now if her podcast appearances are any indication.  Do I think it'll happen?  Probably not.  But I'd be fine with seeing that at some point.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're giving the writers way too much credit and you're going to get the usual "Alexa is a conniving bitch who stabs everyone in the back" story we've seen a hundred times before. 

Beyond that its also just a terrible idea. Alexa is a shitty face and part of another brand which needs decent heels for Becky to murder.

Alexa and Becky are scheduled for Raw house shows this summer, iirc. The “Alexa in Nikki’s corner” thing could be a way to bring Sasha back, too. There’s also a part of me that thinks Vince could be like “put the Smackdown title on a Raw woman, pal! They’ll never expect it! It’s such good shit!”

On 6/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, Custos said:

Generally speaking, a show’s good quality theoretically won’t be reflected in the ratings until the following week or so. It’s not people are calling other people up to say, “Hey, you’ve got to turn it to Smackdown!” Instead, as people hear the show has been good, more will tune in.

(That said, the rating’s decline through the night, as opposed to the overall rating, is likely a reflection of whether the show is bad.)