DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Freaky Hour - 6/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Decent enough show.  I mean, I still have no desire to watch Stomping Grounds, but ymmv. 

And meanwhile Daniel Bryan is out here dropping Shepherder references in 2019. Bless him forever. 

For the first time in a while I think RAW and SDL were both passing grades this week.  I really liked the Bayley and Bliss segment.  The R-Truth stuff was funny AWESOME TRUTH back and I think the new La Parkour gimmick for Seth is the best use of him in a while. 

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Decent enough show.  I mean, I still have no desire to watch Stomping Grounds, but ymmv. 

And meanwhile Daniel Bryan is out here dropping Shepherder references in 2019. Bless him forever. 

Followed by Graves asking him whatever happened to the guy that used to wave the flag around for them.

• Like 1

Ziggler/Xavier was pretty good.

It was good to see AoP back.

Heavy Machinery/B-Team was decent. Loved Bryan on commentary. I like Seth continuing to murder potential guest referees. I hope this is all leading to Bray as guest ref.

That Bayley/Alexa segment was better than anything they did in the past with each other and kind of interesting with them seemingly pulling a bit from Alexa and Sasha's real life feud.

It was good to see the Kairi and Asuka back on tv and getting pushed toward the tag belts finally.

Nice to see Ember try to beat the shit out of Mandy and Sonya.

Loved the return of Awesome Truth. 

Kind of loved how Truth lost the 24/7 belt to Drake.

Thought this was better than SDL has been the past few weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peck said:

Popped at the Senor Benjamin reference.

I happened to catch that while I flipped from the Yankees game during a commercial. I also popped for Rowan's Corrosion of Conformity shirt.

I remember when the Alexa/Trish match was announced and Sasha made a stink on Twitter. I thought to myself “Sasha’s mad because Alexa’s having the career Sasha thinks she should be having.” That was a very interesting line in that promo last night. And I do wonder if there’s bad feelings between Bayley and Alexa going back to nXt or Bayleys burial a couple years back. Or just because Sasha and Bayley are so close. I think the play is Nikki costing Alexa the match and then Lex turning on her, but a Bayley/Alexa double turn wouldn’t shock me either. 

Kofi is great. That is all.

Dug the Mandy & Sonya vs. Ember thing. Nice to see them get the women on the show.

Hey, what’s worse than being bored to tears by Seth Rollins every week? Being bored to tear by Seth Rollins twice in a week.

• Like 1

The pay off to this fucking Alister Black angle better be a Braden Walker joke. Or it turns out instead that, the “fight” that he wants isn’t an actual fight, but they zoom out, and you see two Milton Bradley’s Karate Fighters on a table.

Edit: Honestly I can see why writers just write stupid shit for Vince. If the directive is to write nonsense, I’m going to write something more nonsensical. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I worry they're going to do Aleister vs Bray, which means someone has to lose when both need to win. 

I think someone realizes they can do something cool with Aleister, but don't know which direction to take. So they have him doing the dark room promos, which would be OK if it had been for 3 weeks instead of nearly 3 months.

• Like 1

It’s funny because these are reminding me of the Shannon Moore “Prince of Punk” videos on ECW. I’m just waiting for someone to slap him in the mouth and call him a poser. He’s fucking dead if that happens. 

Looking back you can see at the start they were trying to get this dark character over with these promos(Which aren’t Black’s strong suit). Vince must have hated them. So now they’re redesigned these to make him come off as whiny, and annoying. It’s going to be so sad when they squash him dead.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 6/19/2019 at 8:28 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I heard that Bryan took a shit on the WWE Hall of Fame, by singling out Koko B. Ware’s alumni status. 

Bryan is a good man. A very good man.

Bryan kind of lost me with the slagging on Koko B. Ware. If you're dropping a Sheephearders reference, chances are you know about Koko's pre-WWE work.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I thought the rumor was Buddy Murphy was going to answer Black’s challenge.

When they first started these I thought the same after reading about the house show matches. But these promos Blacks’s been doing recently have positioned him in my eyes as a heel. Unless now Murphy will be the heel. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It's a shame that the positivity around this week's shows is not borne out in the ratings.

Yes they are not the be-all end-all by any means, but Smackdown hit an all-time non-holiday low of 1.27 (last Xmas day was 1.24) with 1.8m watching. The 18-34 demo was a third of what it was this time last year (0.34 vs 0.96).

Surely they can't keep on tanking like this without some serious challenge at the quarterly shareholder call, or by FOX execs. Or do they just ignore it and keep swimming Scrooge McDuck style in the vast pool of Saudi and TV money and ignore the issues.