DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

43 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Ibushi wants to win heavyweight title on 1/4 and challenge the IC champ on 1/5. Is this how we are going to get our first double champ?

Interesting development. Tetsuya Naito was aiming to do that by winning the G1 Climax. Can see Kazuchika Okada going for it, gets him another record.

1 hour ago, matwarz said:

So about that card for Royal Quest. Bloody hell, if Melbourne got a show like that Festival Hall would easily do the numbers they were hoping for. That’s how you put on an overseas show to make a statement.

No kidding ?

• Roppongi 3K (SHO, YOH & Rocky Romero) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Shota Umino & Ren Narita
  • Kota Ibushi & Juice Robinson vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi & Hikuleo)
  • CHAOS (Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles) vs. Bullet Club (El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori)
  • Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & SANADA) vs. Bullet Club (Jay White & Chase Owens)
  • IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match: Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs. TBA [Winners of RevPro’s Road To Royal Quest Tournament]
  • NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. KENTA
  • RPW British Heavyweight Championship Match: Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
  • IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Ok guys I need to get out of some plans...

Nah, stay home, sub to AJPW TV, and binge watch Champions Carnival from this year. Or sub to Stardom World, and watch the upcoming Stardom GP Tournament. It’s too hot anyway. You’re just risking sanity.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So, is it too late to talk about G1?  Because after somehow catching up I saw the finals last night.  It was a great main even event and even though it was obvious who'd win when Jay won Block B I still had a lot of fun watching the match.  The only match I skipped was Cobb/White but the G1 was really wonderful.  If one wanted to get a taste of what New Japan has to offer then there you go.  My money's on Ibushi winning the title and hopefully he holds onto it for awhile.

As much as I loved the epic matches that happened I really appreciated the matches with Fale and especially Yano.  Not every match needs to be a classic and sometimes you just need to have a shenanigans-filled match to break up the monotony.  My favorite was Moxley/Yano though White/Yano was really great as well.  And while it was essentially the same thing which I didn't care for last year this year I liked that Fale and crew were bent on cheating their way to wins.  Plus it led to KENTA joining BC and now they feel like they're back on a roll.

And for crying out loud please give Archer the NEVER Openweight title or something.  The guy went through the years from being some wacky guy in TNA to a really respectable big man.  I was pretty much pumping my fist in the air seeing him win his last block match and take his sweet time celebrating.  Really happy for him.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Archibald said:

Ibushi wants to win heavyweight title on 1/4 and challenge the IC champ on 1/5. Is this how we are going to get our first double champ?

I'm in the "pretty convinced" camp that 1/4 is going to be Okada/Ibushi for the Heavy and Naito/White for the IC, and the winners face for the double title on 1/5.  Now, can 2 of those 4 push out Dome level mains 2 nights in a row, we'll see.  I'm sure of Okada and Naito.  Ibushi if he doesn't kill himself Night 1, it's White I'm not sure of, even if I'm firmly in the "White is pretty damn good" camp. 

Now if we can figure out who Liger's final opponent is gonna be.

I don't know if it's a straight Unification or just a Title for Title thing like Hogan/Warrior did in 90, But Naito's storyline this year has been "I want to be the first to hold both the Heavy and IC at the same time", and today they did the "The Heavy Title is Maining Night 1" and Ibushi wants to challenge whoever has the IC belt for Night 2.  Standard Japan logic would dictate that at the very least Naito and Okada wouldn't let that go unanswered, and likely anyone who would be in the IC Picture wouldn't turn down a Heavy shot.

And the 2 Main Singles matches Night 1 and a Title for Title Night 2 would be a pretty good way to ensure you pack both nights.

• Like 1

There is also an issue of a hook here. If we go to last few WKs then Okada/Omega, Okada/Naito and Omega/Tanahashi had rather clear hooks to me. Like, why this match matters, why this is the biggest thing in wrestling world at the moment.

I don't really get it with Okada/Ibushi, at least not at the moment. Okada/White? I think it has more story potential, but at the same time I think they are kinda done after MSG show, at least for now and White isn't really on the level to headline WK yet. Okada/Naito? I think it has less potential now than it did 2 years ago, Naito just wants to be double champ and he could care less if he beats Okada, Ibushi, White, Yujiro or someone else for heavyweight title.

But if you make it a short tournament with 4 participants over 2 nights? Thats a clear hook. Someone is going to become a first ever double champ. Literally, history making moment. And you can book Okada/Naito there since it is probably still biggest match involving current top 4 guys.

Edit: Also, New Beginning in Osaka is moving to Osaka-Jo Hall so it figures that there has to be a strong fallout from WK to carry over to Osaka.

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 1

my friend Neil reviews the main event and then ranks the 20 guys in the G1. here's a taste:

I said it already but I’ll say it again, Jay White is Ridley Scott’s version of Ric Flair, a Trans-Pacific nightmare that gets away with it only because he is just that damn good. If you can’t appreciate what this dude is doing, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s everything . . . his sick throws, his insolence, the way he talks during a match, the way he pulls everything around him into his story, including the announcers, the fans at ringside and yes, you and me watching this an ocean away.

https://g1spot.blogspot.com/2019/08/g1-final.html

• Like 5

17 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

my friend Neil reviews the main event and then ranks the 20 guys in the G1. here's a taste:

I said it already but I’ll say it again, Jay White is Ridley Scott’s version of Ric Flair, a Trans-Pacific nightmare that gets away with it only because he is just that damn good. If you can’t appreciate what this dude is doing, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s everything . . . his sick throws, his insolence, the way he talks during a match, the way he pulls everything around him into his story, including the announcers, the fans at ringside and yes, you and me watching this an ocean away.

https://g1spot.blogspot.com/2019/08/g1-final.html

'He has a weird body, like a hanging pig, and he is fiercely ugly'

This description of Shingo cracked me up. Can't go all the way with him on Jay White (although I largely agree) or on Ospreay being 15th, but great read.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, Archibald said:

There is also an issue of a hook here. If we go to last few WKs then Okada/Omega, Okada/Naito and Omega/Tanahashi had rather clear hooks to me. Like, why this match matters, why this is the biggest thing in wrestling world at the moment.

I don't really get it with Okada/Ibushi, at least not at the moment. Okada/White? I think it has more story potential, but at the same time I think they are kinda done after MSG show, at least for now and White isn't really on the level to headline WK yet. Okada/Naito? I think it has less potential now than it did 2 years ago, Naito just wants to be double champ and he could care less if he beats Okada, Ibushi, White, Yujiro or someone else for heavyweight title.

To be fair, we're saying this in the bang middle of August. They could easily turn up the gas on any of those matches between now and January 4th. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

She does a very good job in her role as a femme fatale under the sway of cheating dickhead (in more ways than one). 

I don’t know, she seems like a good sweet beautiful angel who is oblivious to Taichi’s evil ways. To say she’s a “femme fatale” misjudging her character as an attractive human being. 

• Like 1