DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

Oyaji's recapping of Sasaki's wild 2004 has me also recalling his tremendous 2005 Carny final the following year against Jamal/Umaga (RIP). 

Man I'm glad NJPW is making a big deal out of Lyger the Final. They should just let his final match be the main. What if they do Lyger vs the J Cup winner (so long as no one stupid wins the J Cup). 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Fuck his shitty looking cum tights

Man up and go full Scott Hall cum tights if you're gonna do it.  Volume not scatter coverage

Spoiler

Image result for scott hall jacket

Scott Hall going without the internet for a week and finally sneaking on late at night. Ectoplasm. 

• Like 1

You know what's kind of fucked up?

Google Liger unmasked.  Pictures of Tomonobu Itagaki come up.

There's even youtubers making whole videos about it.

I started that here as a joke and people believed me.  It had to be like ten years ago.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Haha 1

20 people enter.

One person wins.

Not winning isn't a shortcoming.  That's like saying the 29 other guys in a royal rumble are jabrones.  As long as you're not Warlord or Luke you're good.

But one year Honma lost every match and was way more over because of it.

Edited by Tromatagon

Generally anything over 8 points is seen as a good showing.  G1 is sold as the most grueling tournament in existence with 9 matches over 20 days that matter and pinning a champ pretty much guarantees a title shot at said title, along with winning gets you a potential Main Event slot at NJPW's Wrestlemania.  Not winning isn't bad.  This also ended up being one of the more even tournys in a while, where no one sat in the "jobber" role of guaranteed 2 points.  Moxley had a pretty good showing since there were people, like me, that doubted his ability to turn out 9 good performances in a style that the crowd liked, and he brought it and brought me over to his side.  Hell, Mox grabbed a pin over the #2 Champ and arguable #3 guy in the company during this tourny, so he's all good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Generally anything over 8 points is seen as a good showing.  G1 is sold as the most grueling tournament in existence with 9 matches over 20 days that matter and pinning a champ pretty much guarantees a title shot at said title, along with winning gets you a potential Main Event slot at NJPW's Wrestlemania.  Not winning isn't bad.  This also ended up being one of the more even tournys in a while, where no one sat in the "jobber" role of guaranteed 2 points.  Moxley had a pretty good showing since there were people, like me, that doubted his ability to turn out 9 good performances in a style that the crowd liked, and he brought it and brought me over to his side.  Hell, Mox grabbed a pin over the #2 Champ and arguable #3 guy in the company during this tourny, so he's all good.

Ran the #1 guy close too. He lost of course, but there's no shame in that.

tumblr_n9ka9jTmKm1ti6gxco1_500.gif

• Like 7

There's also the fact that booking circumstances (not all of which were political) were never going to let Moxley win the thing. Although I was willing to consider Moxley in the finals (and likely would have enjoyed the match), there was a non-zero chance that Moxley's shtick wouldn't get as over as NJPW would have hoped for - these were and still are his first matches since leaving WWE, and I think there was just too much risk involved to keep somebody else out of the finals for the sake of his name value.

I really wanted his match with Juice to go to a draw or a DCO after a big crazy bump. It wouldn't  diminish any intrigue for the IWGP US Championship rematch. Juice could  claim he kept Moxley out of the finals while still having Moxley finish a clear second in his block.

• Like 1

Liger should challenge whoever is IWGP champ on the second night.

3 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Oyaji's recapping of Sasaki's wild 2004 has me also recalling his tremendous 2005 Carny final the following year against Jamal/Umaga (RIP). 

I had the same thoughts when reading through his post.

I fell behind on the G1 Climax due to work and never got caught up. Tonight feels like a good night to at least watch White/Ibushi. That's the nice thing about not going to work until 12:30 pm; I don't have to go to bed early.