DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

two thoughts while doing the dishes

- slightly panicked about the Shibata angle. as in: why would they do this if he isn't coming back? up to GTSing Ishii you have a perfectly good heel turn. Beating up a beloved babyface and setting up a great match. Of course Shibata would be pissed, but to the extent of running through fire to whup someone? I trust NJPW not to tease stuff like this without delivering. Like all the Hiromu teases have come from the man himself.

- on the note of White (it was @Archibald who made that point about the pacing, @Oyaji) - I thought the best bit of the match was when Ibushi got irate after all the BS, all the interference, it's FINALLY you and me. White cowered rather than begged off and ate a load of strikes. When he regained control, he came across more like "tough and resilient wrestler" rather than "sneaky shit". When he lost, he took a ton of punishment and went down like a man. I'd like to see them gradually have White shed Gedo - at least the interference - as a crutch and draw on this tough guy who appeared here and momentarily at MSG. the overbooking (at times) combined with the push so early could end up Nakamuraing him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Had tears when Shibata came out and beat that ass. I can't believe they did that if he is not cleared. We'll see but man... If that ain't the biggest tease. 

Final was spectacular in that it told a simple, black and white story with two incredible archetypes in their roles. Ibushi's limb selling has always been questionable and I'm not saying it was perfect but that's about as good as you'll get from him. White, man... It's weird. The heel shtick is so ingrained in his character and he does it better than anybody. But it used to be a way to get cheap heat and gauge the crowd. There was a plan B for top flight chicken shit heels back in the day if the crowd doesn't eat it up but because it's so thoroughly part of his character there is no plan b. Didn't need one tonight thankfully but I was expecting a bit more of a sustained heat for the G1 final. As Sevendaughters mentioned it wasn't until the bladerunner that it got hectic. 

Dojo Wars rules. Gimme more of that. 

Suzuki looking as fresh as he has in ages thanks to not being in the G1 and everybody else being beat to fuck after partaking in that insane meat grinder. 

Great show. Was surprised by no Hiromu. 

I'm sure Jay is capable of a plan B- look at his US match against Hangman Page when no one cared for his heel shtick there.

Great G1 Climax 29 Final between Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White. Right guy won. If I'm a tad critical, perhaps shave a few minutes from it. Out of the Jay White matches I've seen, this was the best of them. Previously it was White vs. Kazuchika Okada at this year's Wrestle Kingdom.

That angle as KENTA joined Bullet Club with Katsuyori Shibata getting physical for the first time since almost dying vs. Kazuchika Okada in their amazing match at Sakura Genesis 2017 was really something.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Archibald said:

One minor thing: Three nights at Budokan slightly outdrew Summerslam+Takeover combo from WWE.

And none of the NJPW shows were going for $5 on the secondary market.

• Like 1

I feel the fans would rather cheer Gedo than boo him anyway, despite how good of a heel he is. They could have White "fire" him and lay him out, kind of like when Sid laid out Shawn the night after WM 11 to solidify Sid's heel heat and Shawn's babyface sympathy heat. Although you'd also run the risk of everyone cheering the beatdown and turning White face by accident. In any event I agree he should gradually shed Gedo and the knucks gimmick. 

Any word on who Lyger's final opponent/s will be? I'd hope it'd be a long singles match rather than a sixman or something just because I know he's got a classic left in him without needing too much protecting. 

5 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Any word on who Lyger's final opponent/s will be? I'd hope it'd be a long singles match rather than a sixman or something just because I know he's got a classic left in him without needing too much protecting. 

I’m thinking more, and more that it’s going to be a six-man. People shouldn’t be disappointed by that. New Japan prefers their vets to leave in a dignified way, without overshadowing the current generation on a grander scale. So don’t get pissed if Liger is working the Wrestle Kingdom Rumble on night 2.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I think they'll probably do Liger-Jericho. Maybe. Not sure. Make up for last time. Maybe Kawato comes back too?

I wonder if they'll do it like they do when they run two PPVs in a week, where there's some big matches and everyone else is paddling around the bottom in tags. Won't feel very special but undercard matches rarely shift tickets.

Edited by sevendaughters
  • Like 1

oh wait, they started the build for Tanahashi-Jericho didn't they? Let me see.

IWGP HVY: Okada (c) vs. Ibushi (G1)
IWGP IC: Naito (c) vs. X
RETIREMENT: Jushin Liger vs. X
Tanahashi vs. Jericho
Kenta vs. Shibata (?????)
TAG: Champs vs. Tag League (whatever)

Still a lot of building to do for two nights.

That Suzuki/Takayama v Kensuke/Liger match is on RuTube btw.

Kensuke's magical 2004 run, man. Best wrestler on the planet imo for that one weird year. Slumming it in DDT with Agira Hokuto and doing comedy hair matches with the Florida Express in DG, and random six man tags in Mpro as MASKED VOLCANO. But he also was fucking supreme in NJPW with Tenryu and young Nakajimmy. And his run in AJPW was very good too.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5