DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

6 minutes ago, alstein said:

Zack needs IC run more than a NEVER run.  Lieutenants usually are IC-level contenders, and Zack is the Lieutenant in SZKG.

Yeah, IC more than NEVER. Then again I'd like Ishii to get a IC run 'cause I'm not sure he'll get to hold the big one.

Edited by The Natural

I think Ibushi should win at the Tokyo Dome now, but Gedo seems to like to have Okada beat the G1 winners at the Dome. 

It seems with Juice finishing the tournament with a win over Moxley, he's earned a rematch for the US title at least. Kevin Kelly did mention something about how the tournament will determine the next title contenders depending on how things played out. 

Not sure what they want to do want to do with KENTA but seems like he could have a rematch with Ibushi for the briefcase or feud with Naito. Not sure how much they can use Moxley until October, but I'd like to see him face Okada, KENTA, Ibushi, and Tanahashi at some point. 

I'm hoping I can still make Super J Cup on August 25 and they can get some decent matchups there. Show still has a lot of unsold tickets.

10 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Naito reads this post, logs off.

Naito fangirls call me a cabron and spit at me.  ^_^

I got a feeling if Shibata can return, his return will be a tag at WK , something like Shibata/Tana vs KENTA/White  (assuming White doesn't go after Naito's IC)

• Like 1

imo, who comes out of G1 (the tournament) enhanced, same, or downgraded.

Small-arrow-up-fast-icon.png
Ibushi (arguably had better tournaments in-ring but now the shackles are OFF)
Shingo (looked very much i. a heavyweight and ii. a world class talent)
Jay (super character work, still has doubters but they're falling away)
Archer (breakout tournament, everybody dies)
Moxley (brought big dick swagger to G1, embraced NJPW with his Shota stuff, slightly bumpy finish, but the different thing he brought made it all very watchable)
Juice (now, for me, a big deal wrestler from being my least favourite guy in WWE)
Ospreay (getting better inch by inch)

Small-arrow-right-icon.png

Okada (his throne unchallenged, did big stuff when he needed to without breaking too much of a sweat)
Tanahashi (selfless jobbing, could get major league reactions if his moveset was reduced to air guitar)
Goto (Goto)
Ishii (probably the best in-ring G1 but that's Ishii)
Sabre Jr (sometimes better, sometimes worse)
EVIL (nearly put him in the up arrow but the whole losing record business did for him. glad he took it safer this year but still had some burners)
SANADA (they either needed to push him or Ibushi. hard cheese)
Yano (some good matches, hardly any of the slightly flat ones)
Taichi (I enjoyed him a lot this year, at no point did anyone say "this is the best G1 field assembled and Taichi as well", he was part of it, he bought in)

1downarrow.png

Cobb (come back Elgin, all is forgiven)
Fale (some humour to his run but we've also abandoned the pretence that we need to protect him)
Kenta (he did well, but disabused a lot of people that he is still one of the best workers in the world. his angle at the end probably resets this though)
Naito (difficult to rate but it seems like the cumulation of injuries and cooled-off booking combined to see him brought lower than the stratosphere he resided in)

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave just said that he got word that Shibata still won't wrestle again. 

Just curious where you heard he said that because I'm listening to the WOR update covering and checked his Twitter and didn't hear or see him say that (unless he says it later in the report as I'm 10 minutes into it)?

Edit: just heard it on the audio update.

Edited by sabremike

So Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship main events one of the two Wrestle Kingdom shows. Do you put Jushin Thunder Liger's last match as the co-main event of that show or make that THE main event on the other date? I'm guessing it'll be the former with the IWGP Intercontinental Championship as the main event of the other WK.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, The Natural said:

So Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship main events one of the two Wrestle Kingdom shows. Do you put Jushin Thunder Liger's last match as the co-main event of that show or make that THE main event on the other date? I'm guessing it'll be the former with the IWGP Intercontinental Championship as the main event of the other.

Running the IC Title as the Main of Night 1 with the Heavy being Night 2.  LIger's retirement is absolutly going second to last, probably on Night 2 so that he can have a tag on Night 1 and get 2 matches out of the Final Dome instead of one.  Probably Naito/White for Night 1 with Okada/Ibushi Night 2 (As much as I really want MiSu to be the first guy to complete the Japan Promotion Triple Crown, There's a Zero chance MiSu/Ibushi Mains a Dome show)

47 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I want to cut off your hands for even typing that

MISU/IBUSHI DOME LETS GO MOTHERFUCKERS

I still like my idea of MiSu vs a Bear better with him choking out the bear after a hard hitting match.

Had tears when Shibata came out and beat that ass. I can't believe they did that if he is not cleared. We'll see but man... If that ain't the biggest tease. 

Final was spectacular in that it told a simple, black and white story with two incredible archetypes in their roles. Ibushi's limb selling has always been questionable and I'm not saying it was perfect but that's about as good as you'll get from him. White, man... It's weird. The heel shtick is so ingrained in his character and he does it better than anybody. But it used to be a way to get cheap heat and gauge the crowd. There was a plan B for top flight chicken shit heels back in the day if the crowd doesn't eat it up but because it's so thoroughly part of his character there is no plan b. Didn't need one tonight thankfully but I was expecting a bit more of a sustained heat for the G1 final. As Sevendaughters mentioned it wasn't until the bladerunner that it got hectic. 

Dojo Wars rules. Gimme more of that. 

Suzuki looking as fresh as he has in ages thanks to not being in the G1 and everybody else being beat to fuck after partaking in that insane meat grinder. 

Great show. Was surprised by no Hiromu. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

Yeah, that ain't a work but coincidence. 

Edit: another thing about Jay... His heel offense is so fucking great not only because it is custom tailored for each opponent but also because while it's 'clever' it doesn't make his opponents look like idiots. So much heel shit makes the faces look like idiots as does cutesy, clever shit like Evil's ref bit with the leg or some of Naito's spots. Instead White makes himself look like the smartest guy in the room for having answers to his opponents' signature offense like with Ibushi's windup lariat he took the leg for instance. Or the countless times he just plops down or walks away when people are about to hit him with something big. Love it. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1