DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

"That whole Yano thing, that's all your fault. You've already done your squats and everything. That's all straight."

"Tell 'em Shooter! *No Response* ... Deadly, cold fucking stare from the Shooter."

AEW needs to find out if Shooter is under a binding contract. We could have the next Ralphus here. 

EA8OLD-U4AUO97l?format=jpg&name=medium

EA50wsFUYAEXSjJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Don't know what I will do without Tapla's cute little Shooter/Moxley fan art.

• Like 4

Without looking too closely at what's left of Block B, I take it we're most likely looking at an Ibushi vs Naito final? I've always enjoyed Kota's matches but I've always preferred him as like the "spectacularly athletic and show-offy challenger"...never really wanted to see him up this high in the main event scene. IC title, yes. G1 Winner/IWGP champ, no thanks. That being said it seems like a safe bet that this is his year...

• Sad 2

Guess we'll see, but Ibushi committed to NJPW so I guess everybody needs to get something out of it.

I think Ibushi vs White is still quite likely. White hasn't really said he'll win the G-1, but he has promised 6 in a row so a good chance he will deliver.

That said, I'll be kind of annoyed if LIJ just twiddle their thumbs whilst Naito gets mugged.

really enjoyed B Block final night. watched the tags too - check the ending of the 8 man NJPW v Suzukigun match if you can.

Cobb-Yano was what you hope any Yano match is - funny, with a new novelty in the playbook. Cobb has a better sense of humour than Elgin so this worked. I popped for Yano's big suplex spot.

Ishii-Taichi was great, Taichi got straight to business and they had a great little war. I predicted the result before opening night but if they're going to deliver like this then who cares? The Abe-Taichi act is down, Ishii is probably the ace of B Block, VERY GOOD.

Moxley-Robbo was pretty good. The ending didn't quite do it for me. I guess they're looking for a rubber match and can only do so much with Moxley if he might be on his way. When they just went at it, it ruled, and Juice selling hard as Mox went through his repertoire really did it for me.

Shingo-Goto mirror mode match was brilliant, maybe for me both guy's best (I know) this tournament. Not a lot to say here. Shingo is outrageously good. Goto was super here and of course he lost because he is a dumb bushido guy.

Naito-White-oh was a perfect classic babyface v heel match. I was fine with the timekilling powdering early because the crowd were into it and the dynamic was really clear - they actually HATE White rather than Justin Credible in X Factor heat him. When White goes babyface those cut-off suplexes are going to have Dragon Screw levels of overness - they are so cruel and brilliant and often feel heartstopping and out of nowhere. This might be my favourite Jay White match, actually, and a good time to deliver it. Naito was great. Some will be upset, bu he's IC champ and probably gets a Dome headline.

• Like 1

The writing was on the wall for Naito. They burned out the Naito/Ibushi match this year, so Kota winning yesterday was a dead giveaway. Also, remember how the last time they did Naito/Okada at the Dome it wasn't really that great? I still think Naito wins the IWGP at some point next year, but barring that I go back to a previous point I raised. Maybe Naito is Chono now. The impossibly cool faction leader/merchandise seller who quite frankly is too good to need the belt.

Asking the frothing masses of entitled internet dipshits to understand this kind of thing goes beyond trying to smarten up a mark. It's a dysfunction that is born in a far deeper and darker part of the mind.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

Main Event was great.  White's stepped it up and grown into his role perfectly.  Any virtol directed at the match is solely based on "My guy didn't win and he should've, dammit!" category.

• Like 1

I know people almost expect Ishii matches to be great at this point, but Taichi brought the fight and that was indeed a fine sprint. Crowd ate it up too. People talk about White eventually going baby, but I could see Taichi kind of being The Miz of New Japan (which, let's face it, he kind of is).

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The writing was on the wall for Naito. They burned out the Naito/Ibushi match this year, so Kota winning yesterday was a dead giveaway. Also, remember how the last time they did Naito/Okada at the Dome it wasn't really that great? I still think Naito wins the IWGP at some point next year, but barring that I go back to a previous point I raised. Maybe Naito is Chono now. The impossibly cool faction leader/merchandise seller who quite frankly is too good to need the belt.

The fact they’ve had him hold the IC title for so long basically confirms that they want him in a Nakamura spot as #2, behind the leading man, Okada. They are still going to run double big shows. So they’ll need to spread the star power to as many parts of the company as possible.

Okada will not relinquish his place on the card. He’s the ace of the company for at least part of the next decade until the next gen is ready to rival him, like he rivaled Tana this last decade.

46 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I know people almost expect Ishii matches to be great at this point, but Taichi brought the fight and that was indeed a fine sprint. Crowd ate it up too. People talk about White eventually going baby, but I could see Taichi kind of being The Miz of New Japan (which, let's face it, he kind of is).

As soon as the bell rang, I knew this match was designed as an homage to 90’s All Japan. With Taichi starting fast with a “Dangerous” backdrop like his mentor Kawada did in some of his best matches at the Budokan. The finish even reflected this too, as usually modern New Japan is about countering the signature spot, or finisher into your own signature spot that preludes the finisher. This one was more about Iishi trying to survive Taichi’s blitz of offense at the end, but couldn’t turn the tide like Misawa, Kobashi, and Kawada did long ago.

BTW, main was great. New Japan always does this to me by making me gasp when somebody big loses clean on the final nights. Yesterday was Tana, and today Naito. Got to hand it to the booking committee. It takes something special to do that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Asking the frothing masses of entitled internet dipshits to understand this kind of thing goes beyond trying to smarten up a mark. It's a dysfunction that is born in a far deeper and darker part of the mind.

I liked that Okada/Naito Wrestle Kingdom 12 match more than most. The best of the feud by far was on NJPW's 40th Anniversary Show from March 2012. That's the Okada/Naito match to watch.

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I liked that Okada/Naito Wrestle Kingdom 12 match more than most. The best of the feud by far was on NJPW's 40th Anniversary Show from March 2012. That's the Okada/Naito match to watch.

Oh, for sure, it's not that they don't have chemistry. I also loved the infamous "runner up" Dome match for the IWGP Heavyweight belt way back when.

• Like 1