DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

I thought that matches itself were all enjoyable, yes even Sanada/Fale, but I don't really get the booking here. I think only Okada and Ibushi got positive score? I don't get it. And I don't get why Sanada after beating Okada finishes with a loss to Fale. Like maybe give him one more win and build him up?

Only match that I had issues with was Tanahashi/Ospreay due to it feeling a bit like two separate matches. Separation obviously being that tap out tease. I thought that they did wonderful job setting it up and then just to brush it aside. Like my problem here is that it could have been very great and ended up being just great. So you know, first world problems.

51 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I find Fale's wrestling wins amusing - one of the G1's mini-projects has been rehabbing the Bullet Club B-Team a bit, so I can see why they went there. Sanada was up against 3 guys there and is gonna be just fine.

I sort of agree, it will be forgotten, but think the win would do no one any harm. Personally I'd have had him win big and clean despite the interference. I'd also have Archer come out tomorrow or Monday and challenge for a title. Any of them. Would be good in the short term.

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I cannot tell you how pleased I was when the finish of Ibushi/Okada involved Ibushi countering Okada's stupid fucking Discus Rainmaker with a knee to the face.

I get the impression you don't like the Discus Rainmaker? 

He breaks the wrist clutch to do it. It looks weak. It looks like a move where the other guy should just hit him in the face when he does it. Hence - great finish.

The writing was on the wall for Will to get his big win here and they did it the right way. But I don't love neither SANADA nor EVIL finishing with losing records. You want to rehab Bullet Club? Shift the damned units around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

yeah while it was only a roll up (and a very good one at that) it felt needless. protecting Fale has limited utility these days, we all know he's a solid midcarder rather than worthy gatekeeper. hell, let Sanada get the cheeky win. no one needs to see him get his win back.

There have been rumors of SANADA leaving prior to the Dome, so he might be doing farewell jobs on his way out.

Ospreay Vs. Tana was amazing, I made an audible gasp when Will hit the Hidden Blade. I thought Tana was going to turn it around somehow, but when his elbow hit the back of Tana’s head, that pretty much meant the end.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

If Sanada is leaving why the hell would they have him beat their ace? I do not understand why they keep the bullet club guys around. So stale. 

Main event was very great, probably in that 4 5/4.75 range for me. In defense of the discuss lariat, he's been putting some extra oomph on it lately and it's looked good as a result. 

Also, they'd probably both try to kill each other on such a high level show. We all know Jay White is winning the G1 and at the Dome and holding onto the belt for 2 years before jumping to WWE without giving notice, so he can be buried in the undercard on NXT.

I remember last year when Dave was doing the press event for the San Francisco show, he was adamant that I believe both Juice and Ospreay had no interest in WWE. Was White included with that group? I think he was or he's expressed that himself. Of course, things change and big money offers help to spark such change as well.