DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

30 minutes ago, OSJ said:

As far as Naito goes, how many guys can you think of that spit at the crowd and still get cheered? Gross though it may be, that's tranquilo!

Haruka Eigen when he was alive and still wrestling for nostalgia purposes?

6 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

glad they didn't drag out the blue balls of waiting for Sanada to get Okada any further

See, I had absolutely no faith that Gedo would book a single loss for Okada this year. Even with that crap with the Skull End I was thinking they'd run the time limit. We got lucky that they were in Osaka.

Count me as one of those who can tolerate Kelly a lot more than I used to. He does his homework and Rocky is a fine color guy. You better bet if there was a Japanese option on AXS I'd be using it, though. 

Since they aren't going to air any B Block what are some of the better matches from the last couple days? I've been following Moxley's work but need to know the best of the Goto, Ishii, and Naito stuff. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since they aren't going to air any B Block what are some of the better matches from the last couple days? I've been following Moxley's work but need to know the best of the Goto, Ishii, and Naito stuff. 

aside from Mox, who I think had very good matches both the last few days, I'd say on Day 12 Juice/Naito is very good, Goto/Ishii and Cobb/Takagi are good, and Taichi/White is bad. And then on 14, Taichi/Juice is eh, Ishii/Yano and Goto/Cobb are good, and Naito/Shingo is my fav match of the tournament so far.

Dammit, nobody's put up Shingo/Naito on Dailymotion. I found Juice/Naito though and can probably dig up the Ishii matches. Forgot all about Juicey Boy, poor guy.

EDIT: Okay, Kelly yelling "DESTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is very irritating. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 8/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, Pete said:

He used real sake in Rahway when NJPW did their infamous east coast tour back in 2011... we could smell it all the way up in the bleachers. ISTR someone on the board here was even recruited to buy it for him.

Me!

• Like 5

Osaka shows delivered.

I was really annoyed by Okada/Sanada Dontaku match due to how it was structured and not much changed in this match, but boy did I get into it. I was buying all three possible outcomes and when Okada put up his knees I thought that for sure they were going for a draw. But Sanada does it with 13 seconds to spare. I hope that he continues to use that pop up rko to set up the finish because it looks way better than waiting till opponent passes out due to skull end. Sanada's early elimination probably means that he is finishing this tournament with couple more wins.

Evil is still alive and going against Okada with home field advantage. He is delivering in this tournament and it is possible that he is going to be alive on final day as well. And Archer is going to spoil him on final day. Which makes sense considering their long Evil/Sanada vs KES tag titles feud. And yes, he could really lose that leg catch and chair shots. I think in his match against Ospreay was first time he used half nelsons to set up the finish? I loved how it looked, and Ospreay sold it great, and I hope that he starts using them more often.

Naito/Shingo was nuts.

Moxley was protected about as much you can protect someone in his loss. I think that a 30min draw is more likely against Goto than Goto winning so Juice is probably going to be first to pin him 100% clean.

Oh, and I think that ZSJ is going to beat Ibushi and thats out Royal Quest main event.

just watched Shingo-Naito. in the top 3/4 of the G1 so far. great chemistry and all the early work was entertaining and told the story of their familiarity with each other, even if it wasn't focused or "logical". At first I thought a Shingo who isn't a dominant sadist bully might have his nuts cut off but he's also a super battling underdog too.

• Like 2

Updated my top five G1 Climax 29 matches so far:

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 7. 20th July. *****

2. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 5. 18th July.

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 1. 6th July.

4. Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 6. 19th July.

5. Tetsuya Naito vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 14. 4th August.

Shows you the quality when Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi from Day 13, 3rd August narrowly misses out.

Honourable mentions to Jon Moxley vs. Shingo Takagi (Day 8. 24th July.) and Jon Moxley vs. Toru Yano (Day 12, 1st August).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Maybe Kelly put the work in to improve his knowledge of the product, but his delivery is so, so bush league.

The last few shows have been particularly embarrassing, as he’s been wrong on who’s eliminated and who isn’t. It’s great that NJPW has the English commentary, but the fact that there’s apparently zero QC on it is maddening.

• Like 1

And yet they won't allow Chris Charlton talk. Yeah, I tried the English commentary but I'm back to the Japanese.

I'm ashamed to say that I listened to Charlton's podcast last summer, got his book for Christmas and still haven't read it. I'll knock it out this week though.

The 8/3 show has been SO great! Lance vs. ZSJ was the perfect big man vs. technician, EVIL and Zack tore it up with a super hot finishing sequence, and I'm not even done Tana/Ibushi and SANADA/Okada. Osaka G1 cards... man, I wish they could just do Osaka, Korakuen, and Budokan.

ruD2vew.jpg

That is ridiculously awesome. SANADA is #1. What a match. What a show. SANADA has come so close and he finally did it. It only took 5 minutes of Skull End and two moonsaults... He has spoken how he doesn't like brutal violence, so I don't expect head drops, but I think for him to take the next step and be a top level star in the company he needs something a bit more protected than either the moonsault or Skull End. But fuck it, that's the show of the year imo.

• Like 3

I've just about caught up (watching Shingo/Naito right now) and I'm looking at the standings and remaining 4 block shows... It's going to be Ibushi/White, right? For Naito to get to the final, Moxley would have to lose to both Goto and Robinson. I firmly believe that Juice is going to win the rematch with Moxley but I don't see Goto doing it. Naito would have to win out against Cobb and White, which of course he could do but I think his loss to Moxley all but rules him out. White has matches against Juice and Naito remaining with the win over Moxley. I think he wins out and reaches the final.

Block A is a two man race between Okada and Ibushi. I think they're pulling the trigger on Ibushi (finally) with Ibushi getting the huge win over Kazu on Saturday. Ibushi has had nothing but ****1/2+ matches with ZSJ and they are up tomorrow. Okada faces off with EVIL tomorrow and their match from two years ago is one of my favourite G1 matches ever with the Osaka crowd getting behind EVIL for the huge upset (that 2017 G1 is the all time best imo with that incredible story of Okada being worn out from the title run, picking up a wonky shoulder/neck from the physicality of the G1 leading to the EVIL win, the Suzuki slugfest, and the brilliant Omega bombfest). The finishing sequence to EVIL/Okada from two years ago was sexiful:

rainmaker12.gif?w=499&h=281

It's a shame that the follow-up EVIL/Okada title match from later that year wasn't nearly as good. I think it's partly because nobody believed EVIL would win and because That's So EVIL. He's not quite there yet and doesn't deliver consistently despite his ability to put on fantastic matches sporadically.

I know I said I picked Mox/Ibushi final but looking at my tweet for that prediction contest NJPW does I actually picked White/Ibushi. Funny enough, my previous tweet was picking White/Ibushi for the 2018 G1 Climax.

Anybody think Naito makes the final? Mox? Or are we on the White final train? 

Edited by Oyaji

Really loved Ospreay/EVIL from Night 13. Ospreay's become one of my favorites to watch and EVIL's been consistently delivering throughout this. Great stuff from both. Disappointed that Archer's lost everything after his hot start at first but fun match with he and Sabre. Crazy ending for Sanada/Okada with seconds left on the clock, cool moment/big win for Sanada.

Thought Moxley and White worked really well together on Night 14. Great reversal sequences in the finishing stretch and the win felt like a very strong one for White.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Tanahashi has to go 4-5 to prove he belongs on the scrap heap! He'll win it next year undefeated for no reason.

That's still 8 points.  You don't get onto the bubble until you do a couple consistent 4 point or less performances.

Well, that was the weakest ZSJ/Ibushi match to date. Disappointing.

edit: EVIL/Okada was looking really flat until the last ~8-10 minutes and holy fuck do those two do a great finishing stretch. Unreal.

Edited by Oyaji

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Well, that was the weakest ZSJ/Ibushi match to date. Disappointing.

I actually thought it was one of their better match. The part where Zack Saber was super close to putting Ibushi away, but the Kota was able to make sure Zack couldn’t get a proper hold of his leg was brilliant.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs