DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

Wow Shingo / Naito has to be near the top of the heap so far this tournament. They just brutalised other and kept on taking it up the next notch.

I could just watch Shingo all day. He was a sadistic pleasure to watch throughout BOSJ, and I think he might have the best facials of anyone in current wrestling. The spectrum from annoyed to registering a hard hit to agony to exhaustion and everything in between. 

They've both come a long way since these fresh faced young lads.

78yi0dqfjyc21.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

What if there's 3 or more guys on 12 points at the end?

Head to head results. For example, Ibushi and Okada both hold the tiebreaker over Tana since they each beat him.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Head to head results. For example, Ibushi and Okada both hold the tiebreaker over Tana since they each beat him.

Okay, but you have dudes A, B & C on equal points. A beat B, B beat C, C beat A. Now get out of that one Perry!

Edited by ComingToAmerica

Kelly's three-times-per-Cobb-match TOUR OF THE ISLAAAAAAA-NO false alarm seems particularly futile as well, someone's just running the ropes rn man, nobody's getting excited about this yet

The skull end makes me anxious, I'm always like what if the finish is actually a tapout but the guy's head slips out as he's tapping? Good finishing stretch there though, and glad they didn't drag out the blue balls of waiting for Sanada to get Okada any further

Every time Mox comes out I end up with Station to Station stuck in my head for like three hours ?

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Haha 2

It's when he calls the running Destino as if it's the same as the standing Destino that annoys me. 

I generally enjoy the English commentary though, even with the corniness and the tired gags they have a certain quaint throwback charm being mostly sports-focused and not bickering and chucking out corporate buzzwords every five seconds.

• Like 3

Yeah tbf Kelly clearly put work in to become knowledgeable about the product very quickly after he started, and Rocky's quietly become pretty good lately. It's really only Kelly singing move names that ever annoys me as much as WWE commentary

Edited by Firebreaker Chip

30 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Yano/Ishii was so, so good. Ishii continues to be the MVP of the whole damn thing and really deserves the NJPW equivalent of the Hall of Pain run one day where he levels up and kills everyone clean as a sheet for 6 months.

Yeah, Ishii definitely deserves an IWGP Heavyweight Championship reign. I wanted the same for Minoru Suzuki but that's not happening. Can't see Goto ever getting one, his time has passed as he's the choker of chokers.

• Like 1

Amazing even with the popularity of Tetsuya Naito, he's only held the IWGP Heavyweight Championship the once in a short reign. Everybody thought he was beating Kazuchika Okada for that in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 12.

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Ishii could still take this block. Don't think it's likely but he has relatively lowly opponents for the last 2 matches. I imagine it's coming down to Naito and White but the dream is alive!

Ishii definitely giving a win back to Taichi on the last day, sadly

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

Are you just playing with me, don't realize you typed Kobayashi instead of Kenta Kobashi or truly, madly, deeply loved Kuniaki Kobayashi. THE TIGER HUNTER.

Oops. I blame lack of sleep, of course  I meant Kobashi.  Thank God I have someone proofreading my fiction,  as I do silly shit like that all the time. 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Amazing even with the popularity of Tetsuya Naito, he's only held the IWGP Heavyweight Championship the once in a short reign. Everybody thought he was beating Kazuchika Okada for that in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 12.

As much as I'd like to see Naito have a long run with the main title just for the sake of prestige, I'll have to admit that over the last three years he's moved into that rarefied territory of guys who don't need a title to be massively over. It also fits perfectly with his character as someone who has always shown nothing but contempt for the titles and even the belts themselves ("I thought it would be shinier!"). There are actually several guys in NJPW that are in this territory of not really needing a belt: Naito, Okada, and Liger; we've discussed the two former guys recently and while Liger has held a title numerous times, he's never really needed it and when he was booking the juniors he used himself and the title to build other guys up; he didn't need the belt, he's Jushin Fucking Liger, a great wrestler his first decade and a living legend ever since.  

As far as Naito goes, how many guys can you think of that spit at the crowd and still get cheered? Gross though it may be, that's tranquilo!

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I want to like Ospreay a lot but the stupid posing and stupid moves just kill it for me so often. Also, can we please have a moratorium on all non-luchadores performing the Spanish Fly? Or just a moratorium on the move in general? Please? 

Continuing with this post's theme of asking questions that will never be answered, why doesn't Sanada just use the Paradise Lock to pin his opponent? 

Yes and yes! I like what I'm seeing of Sanada but that Paradise Lock used regularly is just irritating.  I could better accept it if he didn't stall around before kicking the guy in the ass.  And only used it occasionally.  But yeah to your question, why doesn't he just pin him?

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If somebody can sit in your "submission" for three minutes straight and not tap you got a problem. 

I was deep into the move during the Okada bout, but I can't imagine the move has much strength psychologically if that kinda of thing is happening every match.  

7 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

How long did HBK rest in that Ankle Lock at Wrestlemanaia against Angle? Felt like 10 minutes.

That isn't any sort of good reason for somebody else to follow their stupidity.  That Angle-HBK match IMO was highly overrated.  I loved the Jennetty-Angle TV match just prior, but the Mania match just seemed good and then over and forgotten.  I really had a hard time getting into skinny, man of faith Michaels no matter what his obvious skill set.  He seemed every bit the arsehole who would not job to anyone as he was the guy, during his final 90s run, who arrogantly claimed as much.    

14 hours ago, OSJ said:

At least Ospreay has stopped screaming so much. Baby steps, I know, but it is progress. Figure another couple of years and he'll probably settle down and curtail that shit. At least he doesn't have the bad influence of Kenny making grotesque faces any longer.

But he does make those faces, no?  I like Ospreay, incredibly gifted, but he is one goofy son of a gun.  

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Yo Kevin Kelly needs to shut the fuck up when Naito hits the Destino, jesus christ.

Yes, what he said.  And this is the glorious solution...   

6 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I always choose japanese over that crap. I can't watch 1 match without these idiots ruining it.

Might be a bit harsh, but I agree.  I also agree that Kelly seems to put the work in.  He just does not have an appealing voice or vernacular (like pretty much every announcer in the industry right now).  Further, he sounds like he's trying to convince children the reality of the situation.  The Japanese commentary is beautiful.  It never gets in the way and adds nicely with the emotional swings.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

@OSJ I disagree on Okada needing the belt. You take the main crown away from him, then you are essentially putting him in Tanahashi territory of guys who are being slowly moved out of the top spot. He’s nowhere near in the breaking down period of his career. Has he had too long of a run without reinventing himself? Yeah... But he’s still drawing big crowds on top, and he’s relatively great shape. You could put the IC belt on him, but from a character standpoint it wouldn’t make sense. Okada isn’t the underrated once looked over potential “Ace” like Nakamura, and Naito were/are. I feel like that archetype is the perfect blend you need to be the main IC champ, plus a shade of a bizarre character that is a broken reflection of the current top champion.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

But he does make those faces, no?  I like Ospreay, incredibly gifted, but he is one goofy son of a gun.  

He does, and I blame Kenny for being a bad influence, but Will is a pretty goofy dude all by himself without any outside influence. Like I said, he's toned down the screaming, give him a couple more years and hopefully he stops pulling faces.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Oops. I blame lack of sleep, of course  I meant Kobashi.  Thank God I have someone proofreading my fiction,  as I do silly shit like that all the time. 

I still think someone should set a Kobayashi MV to this song for you.