DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I never realized your love of Kuniaki Kobayashi.

Oh yeah, used to argue about him at tOa with JDW. His contention was "His selling is goofy!" My counter was that he could make the routine look interesting.

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'd like to know these places where HIROSHI TANAHASHI is an underrated performer.

Well, I suppose if you were to ask the average US wrestling fan who he is they would likely give you a blank stare or start babbling about Seth Rollins. We (and by "we" I mean this group here in general) may not always agree on things, but we are definitely spoiled by the higher level of knowledge and discourse found here. Try spending a day on the WON forums or *shudders* RSPW to reinforce your love of this place.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ace said:

I assume RSPW is just spambots by this point.

Probably spambots and Chad Bryant and John Henry Dejong pulling their dicks.

3 hours ago, Ace said:

No matter how broken he himself is.

I actually kind of prefer broken down Tanahashi. He's less move-spammy now.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Well, I suppose if you were to ask the average US wrestling fan who he is they would likely give you a blank stare or start babbling about Seth Rollins. We (and by "we" I mean this group here in general) may not always agree on things, but we are definitely spoiled by the higher level of knowledge and discourse found here. Try spending a day on the WON forums or *shudders* RSPW to reinforce your love of this place.

"Unknown by casual fans" isn't really the same thing as "underrated".

• Like 1

Despite the flat ending, boy was ZSJ/Archer a ton of fun. Crowd was super into it too, "ooooo"s and "aaaah"s for everything. 

I want to like Ospreay a lot but the stupid posing and stupid moves just kill it for me so often. Also, can we please have a moratorium on all non-luchadores performing the Spanish Fly? Or just a moratorium on the move in general? Please? 

Rocky calling Ibushi a freak of nature is 100% on the money. I don't know how he does what he does. Do they put him in a hyperbaric chamber between matches this year? Missed the first part but the match with Tanahashi was pretty fucking perfect. They crammed a lot into 15 minutes, it definitely didn't overstay its welcome. 

Continuing with this post's theme of asking questions that will never be answered, why doesn't Sanada just use the Paradise Lock to pin his opponent? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I actually kind of prefer broken down Tanahashi. He's less move-spammy now.

"Unknown by casual fans" isn't really the same thing as "underrated".

Valid point. With NJPW on AXS even the casual fans have an opportunity to watch him and your point regarding his current work is spot on. Whether the result of injuries or maturity, he's finally settled down a little bit to where he's actually even more enjoyable to watch. I hate to keep banging the "less is more" drum, but if all your moves are special then in short order none of them are. In Tana's case I know we have to get the air guitar routine when he should be going for a pin, I get that, it's part of who he is; but to his credit he seems to working a lot smarter these days giving me hope that we may yet see him around for a few more years. I still find it hard to believe he's almost 44, where did the time go?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Despite the flat ending, boy was ZSJ/Archer a ton of fun. Crowd was super into it too, "ooooo"s and "aaaah"s for everything. 

I want to like Ospreay a lot but the stupid posing and stupid moves just kill it for me so often. Also, can we please have a moratorium on all non-luchadores performing the Spanish Fly? Or just a moratorium on the move in general? Please? 

Rocky calling Ibushi a freak of nature is 100% on the money. I don't know how he does what he does. Do they put him in a hyperbaric chamber between matches this year? Missed the first part but the match with Tanahashi was pretty fucking perfect. They crammed a lot into 15 minutes, it definitely didn't overstay its welcome. 

Continuing with this post's theme of asking questions that will never be answered, why doesn't Sanada just use the Paradise Lock to pin his opponent? 

At least Ospreay has stopped screaming so much. Baby steps, I know, but it is progress. Figure another couple of years and he'll probably settle down and curtail that shit. At least he doesn't have the bad influence of Kenny making grotesque faces any longer.

• Like 2

If Okada wants Sanada as a rival, I can see why: they work totally loosey-goosey with each other. Compared to getting kicked by Kota it has to be like a night off working with him.

8 minutes ago, OSJ said:

At least he doesn't have the bad influence of Kenny making grotesque faces any longer.

Yeah, but he doesn't have to be around, he's already taken the influence. I agree though, he'll get better, it's all a work in progress. If he's going full heavy then hopefully a lot of the flying goes by the wayside. After all Tanahashi eventually settled down, right? ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If Okada wants Sanada as a rival, I can see why: they work totally loosey-goosey with each other. Compared to getting kicked by Kota it has to be like a night off working with him.

Yeah, but he doesn't have to be around, he's already taken the influence. I agree though, he'll get better, it's all a work in progress. If he's going full heavy then hopefully a lot of the flying goes by the wayside. After all Tanahashi eventually settled down, right? ?

Well, it only took Tana about fifteen years, so let's not rush things. ?  I don't object to Ospeay's flying, what I object to (and I like the guy a lot), is UNNECESSARY flying, he's not a  small man by any stretch, sometimes we have to remind ourselves that the so-called "juniors" are actually pretty good-sized dudes by normal standards. Six foot and 200 lbs. is not a small person by any means unless you're talking about NFL linemen. A man Will's size needs to conserve the flying stuff for high points in a match or an actual finish, not bounce around the ring like Rey Mysterio jr. 

NJPW needs to make a thirty minute or so video compiled of Kenny's face-pulling and show it to everyone on the roster until it sinks in just how ridiculous he looks doing that crap. He's one of the most physically gifted and talented guys in the business but he can take me right out of a match when he does that ridiculous shit. Oh yeah, and admiring himself on the overhead monitor, at least Will didn't pick up that bad habit; it's akin to looking at your reflection in a shop window when you're in a streetfight; who does that?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Valid point. With NJPW on AXS even the casual fans have an opportunity to watch him and your point regarding his current work is spot on. Whether the result of injuries or maturity, he's finally settled down a little bit to where he's actually even more enjoyable to watch. I hate to keep banging the "less is more" drum, but if all your moves are special then in short order none of them are. In Tana's case I know we have to get the air guitar routine when he should be going for a pin, I get that, it's part of who he is; but to his credit he seems to working a lot smarter these days giving me hope that we may yet see him around for a few more years. I still find it hard to believe he's almost 44, where did the time go?

I have an immense appreciation for Tanahashi and feel he should be in every wrestling hall of fame. As for AXS a friend of the family's granddaughter is 9 years old and is an immense fan of the guy solely because of the shows on Axs. Upon learning about this I hugged her and we talked for awhile about our appreciation for him. She didn't know about the endless merch he has and I now feel a need to get something of his for her on Christmas. 

And it makes sense for Okada to see Sanada as somebody worthwhile. When looking at him I see him as a huge star for the company that will become huge sooner rather than later. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I think Okada can't stand SANADA being there and being an even bigger handsome motherfucker than he is. Let the SANADA era begin!

Just snug up that Skull End...

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OSJ said:

Oh yeah, used to argue about him at tOa with JDW. His contention was "His selling is goofy!" My counter was that he could make the routine look interesting.

Are you just playing with me, don't realize you typed Kobayashi instead of Kenta Kobashi or truly, madly, deeply loved Kuniaki Kobayashi. THE TIGER HUNTER.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If somebody can sit in your "submission" for three minutes straight and not tap you got a problem. 

The trick is, is not painful, it's just a big inconvenience.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If somebody can sit in your "submission" for three minutes straight and not tap you got a problem. 

How long did HBK rest in that Ankle Lock at Wrestlemanaia against Angle? Felt like 10 minutes.

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 1

Yeah after we all sat through a generation of WWE main eventers getting their submissions laid and prayed in forever, I kinda get that.  But Cena became a megastar with the weakest STF ever, so the sky's the limit for SANADA lol.