DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

This was fun show in a literal sense since I feel like 3 of the matches had some comedy to them, obviously Juice/Naito and Taichi/White had less of it than Yano/Moxley, but I still found myself laughing thru them.

Surprising thing to me was that Fukuoka crowd had pretty good reaction to Moxley. I remember The Elite and even Jericho struggling to get anything out of them, but Mox did great I thought. Like, it wasn't amazing or anything like that, but miles better when it was dead-dead during The Elite matches/segments. Omega had to almost murder Hangman for them to start reacting, while Yano and Mox had them with simple tricks.

The G1 was in the Fukuoka Civic Gym whereas Dontaku is in the Kokusai Center. The Kokusai Center crowd is notorious for not being really heated. It's not that the Fukuoka crowd doesn't care. I don't think I ever heard anyone deride the Hakata Star Lane crowds. Fwiw, of the times I was on the floor for past Dontakus, the crowd was lively yet it never comes across that way on TV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I just go back and watch select tournament matches in a vacuum when I feel like it after it's over at a slow pace. I just follow it otherwise as results. I avoid burn out that way. Plus, I don't feel the need to watch stuff I don't want to see or that bombed.

That's how I used to do it, but I decided to watch the whole thing this year because there are so many fresh match ups. I'm skipping most of the Fale matches, though, because he's always sucked. I'm having a blast so far, even though trying to keep up means I don't have time yet to watch stuff I'm really excited for (like The Boys and Veronica Mars).

• Like 1

All kidding aside, there was nothing wrong with the booking of the Yano win over Moxley. Also, considering the way fans worship Eddie Guerrero's "cheat to win" antics, they should appreciate what Yano did here. Also, it was a count out victory after he taped Moxley's leg to Shooter's. Hardly a legit win. That's Yano's whole schtick. He uses offbeat shenanigans to trick his opponents to earn the victory because that's the only way he can do it. He can't legit beat these guys. That's the point of his character/gimmick. I mean they told a story with their match. Isn't that ideally what a wrestling match should do? Moxley was aware of Yano's reputation as a crafty, tricky sumbitch, he tried to outwit the crafty sumbitch, and he still came out with the L. 

The match worked perfectly. That match worked just as well as any 25-minute 4 3/4 snowflake contest. This is a big reason why I stopped caring about assigning snowflake ratings to matches. I found much later on, I can enjoy a decent five-minute match or even a good squash that works the way it's supposed to do and provides enjoyment above all else. This match did exactly what it was supposed to do. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Due to the high quality of mat action this G1 is producing I find myself a subscriber to NJPW World.  What a blast watching the Twelfth Night.  Ishii-Goto was just a breath of fresh air from the centre of the ring.  As has everything I've seen from Ishii here. Cobb looked strong against Takagi.  I dug that Moxley - Yano semi-comedy match - smart maneuvering there.  Everything I watched (didn't see the tags) was really solid.  And was so much better with the Japanese commentary.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

All kidding aside, there was nothing wrong with the booking of the Yano win over Moxley. Also, considering the way fans worship Eddie Guerrero's "cheat to win" antics, they should appreciate what Yano did here. Also, it was a count out victory after he taped Moxley's leg to Shooter's. Hardly a legit win. That's Yano's whole schtick. He uses upbeat shenanigans to trick his opponents to earn the victory because that's the only way he can do it. He can't legit beat these guys. That's the point of his character/gimmick. I mean they told a story with their match. Isn't that ideally what a wrestling match should do? Moxley was aware of Yano's reputation as a crafty, tricky sumbitch, he tried to outwit the crafty sumbitch, and he still came out with the L. 

That's the thing- he really could. He was a national amateur wrestling champion before turning pro, he's fought in Pancrase and he could clearly be a top level guy if he applied himself. He just has way too much fun being a goofy cheater and does it for the LOLZ.

guwZUe-8CELBD24SR1ujJlsGiz2P7MC71-q9MQAg

EDIT: Young Yano was a cool looking mofo back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When he was more serious and even heel serious not doing all his goofy schtick, he never really quiet had the athletic ability to pull off the level of matches to be there. His psychology is fine. He's just kind of slow and dumpy. Being the new Ueda and slowly transitioning into what he is now pretty much kept him employed. I think Choshu hated all his weapons and Sake stuff, so that went away. I enjoyed it because it was amusingly different back then when no one was doing that.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I think Choshu hated all his weapons and Sake stuff, so that went away. I enjoyed it because it was amusingly different back then when no one was doing that.

That is exactly what happened. Yano was doing comedy stuff based around it before only for Choshu to come back to book and throw it all out because he hated the gimmick. To be fair it was real sake so maybe it was that specific aspect he had a problem with.

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That is exactly what happened. Yano was doing comedy stuff based around it before only for Choshu to come back to book and throw it all out because he hated the gimmick. To be fair it was real sake so maybe it was that specific aspect he had a problem with.

He used real sake in Rahway when NJPW did their infamous east coast tour back in 2011... we could smell it all the way up in the bleachers. ISTR someone on the board here was even recruited to buy it for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

He used real sake in Rahway when NJPW did their infamous east coast tour back in 2011... we could smell it all the way up in the bleachers. ISTR someone on the board here was even recruited to buy it for him.

Neat, I mostly remember Samoa Joe mentioning it in a Q&A years ago.

Edited by Eivion

The only good Yano match I can think of from that period is the one he had from a 2008 G1 show at Korakuen against Nakamura. Although it’s only good in my mind because Yano wins with a sneaky roll up, which is what he usually wins with now.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Ah  sake, I recall one night getting a case of the stuff with my martial arts instructor and four other students, we got totally fucked up and ended up kicking the door off the coke machine at the dojo. My favorite teacher was fired the next day, the owners had no sense of humor.