DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

Moxley/Shingo was pretty great and probably the highlight of night 8. I've become a bigger fan of Taichi watching this. Naito/Ishii delivered the goods.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, The Natural said:

I think this matches up the same as my top 5.

• Like 1

As I endeavor to catch up, I finally got to Ibushi v Ospreay. This is what I was expecting from the Tokyo Dome match and I loved it. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea with the lack of selling, particularly from Ibushi with his ankle but we knew that was never going to happen anyway. Fantastic bombfest with great allusions to the Dome and Golden Lovers tag. Highlight had to be Kota peering down at Will in the tree of woe like a cat with its prey. Those two love a cinematic moment and call backs.

I was spacing out for the first bit of Tana/Zack but the last 4 or 5 minutes were white hot too. I would've been way more into all of the near falls had I not known the outcome. Two great matches and a good one in KENTA/Archer (though I still am not digging KENTA through three singles matches, this was the Archer show). SANADA/EVIL was a let down and I preferred their 2017 G1 match. Guys like Fale need to be cycled in and out of promotions. I'm sure he's a great guy to have in the locker room and all that but holy fuck has he nothing left to give in NJPW (I said two years ago). Tear down Bullet Club and do something new with White. I can't imagine they do much merch in North America these days and I don't see many fans in the stands wearing their stuff either.

Edited by Oyaji

I've enjoyed Moxley here, but I do feel like he's going to have to step up the violence a little to justify the gimmick. He gets it across really well in his promos, but I feel like his acting in the ring isn't nearly on the level of those, and neither is his physical delivery. Like, Taichi's thing is obviously more dastardly and less cool violence guy, but when he starts the cheating and foreign objects I think I'm actually more scared of what he's gonna do than Mox?

Again, that hasn't stopped me from enjoying a bunch of his matches, and his selling has been quite good I think, I'd just love like 50% more threatening, pretty please.

Started my catch up last night with Mox Vs Ishii and really enjoyed it. One thing that struck me is how jacked Mox is after getting, I don’t know was it WWE cameras or his attire there or what but I never remember him being in this shape. 

Great match too, Ishii is the man when it comes to G1. Has anyone made a list of must see for the G1? If so could they please pass it on, much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peterien said:

Started my catch up last night with Mox Vs Ishii and really enjoyed it. One thing that struck me is how jacked Mox is after getting, I don’t know was it WWE cameras or his attire there or what but I never remember him being in this shape. 

Great match too, Ishii is the man when it comes to G1. Has anyone made a list of must see for the G1? If so could they please pass it on, much appreciated.

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

My top five G1 Climax 29 matches so far:

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 7. 20th July. *****

2. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 5. 18th July.

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 1. 6th July.

4. Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 6. 19th July.

5. Jon Moxley vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW G1 Climax 29, Day 8. 24th July.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peterien said:

On 7/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, The Natural said:

• Like 1

It feels really good to say I'm fully caught up with the G1 up to this point.  There's a ton to say about it but all that comes to mind is that as a wrestling fan I feel really freaking spoiled by all this good stuff we're getting.  I'm all for saving money but I almost feel guilty only paying this much for World.  I have no issues with people's top 5s on here as they largely align with mine.  The one main negative takeaway from this so far is how disappointing Cobb's been.  I bet even he can't put his finger on why that is but Matanza work aside I've seen so much better from him be it on the indies or ROH.  There's still time to make a better showing but he needs to figure this out quickly.

• Like 2

Was looking at my favs at the almost halfway point and I think I've been enjoying the LIJ guys and ZSJ a little more than most (and Ospreay less than most, but that's not a surprise, he's just not really my thing, even though I agree he's gotten way better). The Ibushi/EVIL match is my overall favorite so far, and I hope that y'all that are only watching a few matches here and there don't skip that one. EVIL really goes to a pretty high level in this one and the Ibushi leg selling stuff is done really well, all things considered. Here's my top tier so far:

- EVIL vs. Kota Ibushi (Day 3)
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 5)
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. SANADA (Day 1)
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (Day 3)
- Jeff Cobb vs. Tomohiro Ishii (Day 2)
- Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito (Day 6)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maciej said:

The Ibushi/EVIL match is my overall favorite so far, and I hope that y'all that are only watching a few matches here and there don't skip that one. EVIL really goes to a pretty high level in this one and the Ibushi leg selling stuff is done really well, all things considered.

D'oh!  I skipped this meaning to come back to it and after show 7 I forgot about it.  I didn't know how much Ibushi could do at the time and EVIL didn't seem like the most compelling matchup at the time.  I'll have to correct that soon.

But hey, missing one match at this point compared to missing 4 nights last year is still pretty darn good for me.

16 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

D'oh!  I skipped this meaning to come back to it and after show 7 I forgot about it.  I didn't know how much Ibushi could do at the time and EVIL didn't seem like the most compelling matchup at the time.  I'll have to correct that soon.

But hey, missing one match at this point compared to missing 4 nights last year is still pretty darn good for me. 

Ditto.

• Like 1

Hmmmmmm... Not the best A-Block day today. Mix of both lack of crowd heat(Seriously this felt like a tiny convention hall house show at times), and wrestlers being a little off. It took some interesting spots to get this crowd to react. Sometimes wrestlers would get them to react to hard slaps, and clever reversals, but they’d die back down fast. Saw lots of face fanning too, so this might’ve been the hottest(in terms of climate) building today. It sure looked like one of the oldest buildings.

Archer Vs. Ibushi was the best match on the show. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Shingo/Taichi was phenomenal. Can you fucking believe that no-mark Gedo booked YOSHI-fucking-HASHI in last year's tournament instead of Taichi? All Taichi does is put on low key great matches that don't kill off the crowd for the main event(s) on the reg. Most under-used guy in the promotion by a mile and they're just now starting to correct that (though he really should be running the table, come on now). That last Pumping Bomber sell was the stuff of dreams. Slow motion, real looking flip. None of that assisted back flip shit we get every match. TAICHI for IWGP Heavyweight. 

• Like 1

Hot damn is Archer a monster. He had a great showing. The heat is definitely bothering the bigger guys because just look at the pour coming off of Fale, you could have bottled that. Fun ending with Red Shoes coming out and throwing up the birds. EVIL/ZSJ was my favorite, EVIL having an honest counter to someone who seems to have one for everything was cheeky and I look forward to finding the video of ZSJ throwing a tantrum backstage. Tana/Sanada I just couldn't pay attention to. KENTA/Okada on the other hand, I was glued to, and very mad at the finale. Gedo needs to get his nose out of Okada's butthole. Seriously. 

• Like 1

Agree that it wasn't the most spectacular of nights. But Archer/Ibushi was still awesome. Archer shining has been a huge highlight of the tournament for me. Great finish for Ibushi taking down the big man. Okada/KENTA ended up pretty strong. Okada always has the best finishing/reversal sequences and still gets the crowd going.

DBS Jr leaving for MLW was the best thing to happen to Archer.  Dude is the breakout this tourny.

i'm somewhat OK with Okada going over KENTA, but also think that either running the 30 out or KENTA pulling off the upset would've been better long term.

• Like 3

Exactly. Especially after the announcers mentioned that a draw gives either man a point, it just made me pray they wouldn't give it all to Okada after the beating he took, but no Gedo has his prerogatives. Still a good match, but damn. 

Archer popping up and yelling after the first knee was some "monster not dying at the end of the movie" shit.

• Like 2