DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

51 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Didn't realize it was on today. What was the lineup?

Yano Vs. Juice

Goto Vs. Taichi

Shingo Vs. Moxley

White Vs. Cobb

Naito Vs. Ishii

On-demand version should be up at 8:30 AM EST, or so. Next show is on Saturday.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yano Vs. Juice

Goto Vs. Taichi

Shingo Vs. Moxley

White Vs. Cobb

Naito Vs. Ishii

On-demand version should be up at 8:30 AM EST, or so. Next show is on Saturday.

Cheers, pal. What would you recommend? I tend to seek out the recommended matches than the whole load.

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, pal. What would you recommend? I tend to seek out the recommended matches than the whole load.

Moxley Vs. Shingo(Might end up as the best match currently for a lot of people. You’ll have to watch to see why.)

*Naito Vs. Ishii

*They’ve had better, but still a very good template match of theirs. 

I liked Goto Vs. Taichi, but I’m not recommending it because Taichi, and Goto aren’t for a lot of people. I also liked Juice Vs. Yano, but it’s Yano. You either hate flash pinners, or hate them.

Not the best day actually. I was able to watch the last two opening matches while I was in traffic. Those were pretty fun if you want to check those out.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Moxley Vs. Shingo(Might end up as the best match currently for a lot of people. You’ll have to watch to see why.)

*Naito Vs. Ishii

*They’ve had better, but still a very good template match of theirs. 

I liked Goto Vs. Taichi, but I’m not recommending it because Taichi, and Goto aren’t for a lot of people. I also liked Juice Vs. Yano, but it’s Yano. You either hate flash pinners, or hate them.

Not the best day actually. I was able to watch the last two opening matches while I was in traffic. Those were pretty fun if you want to check those out.

Ta for the help!

I'm only on Day 5 so far, but there is SO much layered shit this year in multiple matches, there are like, 10 different storylines going on and feeding in to each other it's great. 

It's a step up from the last couple years of "Keeping Kenny Happy".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Random query 

Why is Ospreay's theme all of a sudden overdubbed...?

I think I read Ospreay saying that he doesn't know the why either. Guessing it's licensing issues or some shit.

• Thanks 1

The band that does Ospreay's theme changed names (and maybe lineups a bit), and it threw the rights for everything into a bit of disarray, so it's likely temporary.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm only on Day 5 so far, but there is SO much layered shit this year in multiple matches, there are like, 10 different storylines going on and feeding in to each other it's great. 

It's a step up from the last couple years of "Keeping Kenny Happy".

Very true. It feels like way more wrestlers have their own personal arcs now than they did in last couple of years. Thou I'm not sure if it really can be attribute to Omega being gone.

3 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Very true. It feels like way more wrestlers have their own personal arcs now than they did in last couple of years. Thou I'm not sure if it really can be attribute to Omega being gone.

My comment is about 50% my own personal dislike of Kenny/The Elite and about 50% noticing that NJPW has been more "on" this year than the last couple of years and finding that the common factor is the absence of some prominent YouTubers and their buddies forcing shit into the upper card to slience.  It could be personal bias, and I'll admit that.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

It is your personal bias. Beyond Jay's cup of coffee with the title, the top of the card has been super stagnant this year. I have the opposite bias as Raziel but it's been a dull year from a booking perspective. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

My comment is about 50% my own personal dislike of Kenny/The Elite and about 50% noticing that NJPW has been more "on" this year than the last couple of years and finding that the common factor is the absence of some prominent YouTubers and their buddies forcing shit into the upper card to slience.  It could be personal bias, and I'll admit that.

I’m glad you can admit that, because that jab at Kenny made no sense.  2017 was universally praised as one of the best in recent memory, and the problem with 2018 was the block that Kenny wasn’t in.  I’m pretty sure Kenny wasn’t telling Gedo to book 2 or 3 fuck finishes for the Tongans and Jay White every night.

• Like 2

This is the first G1 I've actively watched along with. Really looking forward to the next two shows. Finally caught up today. KENTA and Moxley got me interested, Naito, Ospreay and Ishii have got me to definitely stick around. 

• Like 1

Really good performance from Shingo in the Mox match. I like that it wasn't a forced near-fall epic and that the table spot fit in logically instead of being for the sake of it, as it first appeared it would be

Lmao at Jay White grabbing Cobb's hair from the mat as he was trying to kip up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m glad you can admit that, because that jab at Kenny made no sense.  2017 was universally praised as one of the best in recent memory, and the problem with 2018 was the block that Kenny wasn’t in.  I’m pretty sure Kenny wasn’t telling Gedo to book 2 or 3 fuck finishes for the Tongans and Jay White every night.

But this isn't what he was talking about. Number of fuck finishes has nothing to do with the storylines. In fact, Firing Squad going all fuck finishes was one of the few storylines present last year. This year, asides of duds like Fale and Cobb, most wrestlers have some things going on that matter beyond G1 points.

I didn't like Shingo v. Moxley as much as I probably should have.  didn't quite click as much as it should have, Moxley probably should've been DQ'd for the chair spot, and I find Shingo vastly more interesting than Mox.  Also, not sure if I care that Moxley is just running away with B block. 

• Like 1

Tanahashi v Sanada will rule. Sanada beating Tana a couple years back in the tournament was excellent and I think a hint of what is to come if/when they ever decide to pull the trigger on Sanada. 

Depends on who's winning the tournament. If it's Ibushi or Okada (I'm still behind, so plz don't tell me they are eliminated or unlikely ?‍♂️), then yeah, I can see Mox doing the Akiyama. If Naito or White are winning, then I guess you could run with KENTA Akiyama'ing and maybe challenging Okada if he beats Kazu Saturday. Lots of potential options, which makes the round robin format so interesting and the G1 the best shit in wrestling.

Moxley / Shingo was a logical build to the finish even if Red Shoes gave way too much leeway with the weapons. Shingo's been a monster on such a tear for the past few months, it's weird to see him tapping out. They may be trying to emphasise how hard it is to step up to heavyweight competition, but Shingo comes across as a beast and every bit as credible as Ishii (similar stature) in everything he does.