DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

3 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

so that was definitely Moxley's best match in years and one of Ishii's greatest moments, right?

Most definitely... Felt like an old FMW Korakuen brawl. 

Poor, poor, Switchblade. His loosing streak extends for another day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, username said:

I thought Goto/White was the best match on night 2.

Well, in that case I'll check that out.  Thanks.

I saw most of the G1 matches up to night 3 but it sounds like I'll be checking all of nights 4 and 5.  I also saw the hyped tag match with Karl Fredericks and I very much see dollar signs even in his Young Boy phase.  The guy's going to be a star for sure, will need to see what other tags he was in on the other shows.

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Most definitely... Felt like an old FMW Korakuen brawl. 

Poor, poor, Switchblade. His loosing streak extends for another day. 

0-3 against the faction he betrayed, even their class clown. It's a beautiful little story.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Maybe it’s because I’m watching Sumo at the same time. But there needs to be more draws in the G1 Climax again. 

In Sumo, because there needs to be a winner, they only determine winners mostly through record. So no point system. G1 Climax has a point system for a reason to create the possibility of a wonky score at the end due to draws, and double dq’s. It’s not a major issue, but it does annoy me that having points sometimes seems irrelevant to what determines a winner.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Ok, I have been on Vacation for the whole tournament sans Night 1 thus far.  What's my must watches up to now?

LA Dojo Vs. NJ Dojo six-man from night 2

Goto Vs. White from night 2

Yano Vs. Naito from night 2

Archer Vs. Bad Luck Fale from night 3

Ospreay Vs. Sanada from night 3

KENTA Vs. Tanahashi from night 3

Ishii Vs. White from night 4

Naito Vs. Taichi from night 4

Archer Vs. KENTA from night 5

Sanada Vs. EVIL from night 5

Tanahashi Vs. ZSJ from night 5

Ospreay Vs. Ibushi from night 5

Goto Vs. Naito from night 6

Moxley Vs. Ishii from night 6

I honestly would recommend you just watch all the tournament matches if you are catching up, and skip the opening tags(Even though they’ve been real fun this year). 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I'm not doing star ratings per match or posting up the DAVEs (no sub) but I am finding this year extraordinarily breezy and yet good quality. The basic assessment after 6 nights is both blocks really good, the good on paper matches deliver, and the less enticing ones hit home more often too. It feels different to the last few years because of Moxley, Shingo, KENTA, Ospreay and even having Archer back in his new guise feels like a positive reboot. Plus Jay is just such a better character 1 year on.

Edited by sevendaughters

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Maybe it’s because I’m watching Sumo at the same time. But there needs to be more draws in the G1 Climax again. 

In Sumo, because there needs to be a winner, they only determine winners mostly through record. So no point system. G1 Climax has a point system for a reason to create the possibility of a wonky score at the end due to draws, and double dq’s. It’s not a major issue, but it does annoy me that having points sometimes seems irrelevant to what determines a winner.

There's usually 1 time limit draw a year.

Well the end of night 6 was quite fucking something wasn’t it. I don’t want to spoil it for those catching up by describing everything that happened in the match, but you should definitely make time to see Moxley vs Ishii.

Cody has his neat little wish list written in his wife’s handwriting, Moxley’s catharsis from his creative frustrations is written clear as day through his performance between his DoN debut, the Janela match and then this drag out fight. If that’s taking your ball and going home, then I hope a few more folks choose to do it if that is the result. 

Ishii making him look fantastic (as he does with everyone) obviously helped too.

A side note, Ishii also has my favourite entrance theme in New Japan, apart from Suzuki’s. It gives the same Pavlovian response to me as APAs music, as you know shit is about to go down, and has that big fight quality too.

• Like 1

I want Yano to win the whole thing, win the title at WK and hold the belt for at least the next 5 years. I also want the WON MVP Award to be renamed the Yano/Thesz/Flair award. Seriously I went BANANA at the finish of his match vs Jay White.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Moxley/Juice!

I love that the freaking opener had as much heat as it did. My ample gut tells me we're getting a fuck finish for their match, because there's a ton of hate going on there.