DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

I was just going to just watch the AXS airings but they hooked me and made me wanna try to catch everything. Finally caught up to date before I fall behind the next few days again.

Night 2; Juice/Shingo was awesome. Thought that Shingo should get the win here but in the end it felt like a really earned/deserved win for Juice. Thought Moxley/Taichi was very entertaining, loved Taichi attacking Moxley during his entrance and bringing the fight to him, great unique start. Yano/Naito was actually amusing, surprising to see Naito lose so quick but fun. Ishii/Cobb and Goto/White both brought the goods, I still dig Goto a good bit.

Night 3; felt Lance Archer had another great performance, happy to see him shine throughout. Ospreay/Sanada was great stuff where either guy could've got the win but a real solid win for Ospreay. Enjoyed the rest of the matches, with EVIL over Ibushi being a surprise to me, but all good-very good matches. Tanahashi/KENTA felt big time and a step up from KENTA's match with Ibushi.

Night 4; Shingo/Yano was fun with Yano's antics backfiring this time. Juice/Goto was a great little match with another very strong Juice performance in  a decisive victory. Moxley/Cobb was pretty good I thought. Ishii/White great, loved the reversals and finishing sequence. White's tombstone style lift toss into the Blade Runner attempt was super impressive, loved that. Solid main event that felt like a big win for Taichi. Naito, Tanahashi, and Ibushi all going 0-2 to start surprised me.

I agree, Charlton in small doses as a third man, is the best role for him.   He should be allowed to translate things, and occasionally chime in if something is important- like the theology thing with Tana- which helped to make Tana/Omega good.

• Like 2

Almost done watching day 4 and it's been so nice, I haven't watched this much wrestling in ages. I'm kind of feeling the G-1 fatigue and find myself looking at my phone more and more, but that's part of the grind of the tournament. I'm loving all the fresh match-ups like KENTA vs everyone (looking so good after all that time basically gone, I popped for the first time he did that fake kneedrop into a heelish face kick) and Mox has been really putting in the work, showing he can hang with all sorts of different people/styles. How sweet was Mox/Cobb? Yano is awesome for the comic relief between all the long, grueling beef on beef violence, I wish he was in both blocks ? I'm feeling Goto more than ever, and I'm especially into Sanada and his stoic charisma. The English announce team can get a little giggly (ohh the turnbuckle is called Mary today hihi) but their storytelling and pbp is generally super on point and I like how a lot of workers interact with them. Lance Archer is looking fucking amazing, he's so agile and explosively quick for a what, 9 foot guy, and he is such a perfect fit for Suzukigun. I'm really amazed New Japan has a million stables, and each of them is just a perfect unit with their own unique character and totally fitting rosters.This booking is so deep and solid, maybe it's not necessarily the best individual workers ever assembled on a roster but as a whole I feel like this is the zenith of what pro-wrestling can be.

One sad thing is that I wanted to take a little break from the G-1 and I put on Fight for the Fallen, and MAN that more choreographed stuff really does not hold up after watching so much amazing, dynamic, interesting work. It just doesn't do it for me. And the commentary, yeesh.

• Like 4

On 7/16/2019 at 8:22 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I have to say that I’ve decided to check out the English commentary the past couple of shows as a curiosity. Kevin Kelley, and Rocky Romero are fantastic together. Although Ive heard the complaints that Asai TV aren’t letting Chris Charlton call the show, which is upsetting the fans. I wonder what’s going on there, because if he’s doing a great job too, I want to hear it. 

He knows a lot but his voice always is a bit underwhelming next to Kelly and Rocky. The shows where he did seem to be allowed to talk, it just kind of stood out that you had these two natural-sounding announcers and one -no offense- smarky indy commentator softly interjecting the occasional comment ??‍♂️ I can see why a TV company would prefer a totally polished product

But I don't know shit about him, how did he get on the team?

Edited by JRV

This isn't exactly his day job. He's a neophyte at doing wrestling commentary live from what I know of him. He's a British guy living in Japan and is married with some kids. The end.

Maybe Chris could whisper his commentary into the ear of the English language ring announcer who deliberately mispronounces the names. He's not doing anything during the actual matches

Actually no you'd probably feel like you were having a stroke hearing him going on about the puro wrestling thee OH lo JEE of Tonna HaSHEE or whatever

I've been much better able to catch up on G1 than I was last year and am enjoying it quite a bit so far.  I do however avoid any Goto matches since he honestly doesn't do it for me (unless somebody can convince me to check out a match from him)  And after night one I'm not sure if Kenta's matches are worth checking out.  If his match against Tanahashi and the next one are worthwhile I may give them a shot.

Wasn't a big fan of Okada/Fale and Archer/KENTA thou it was slightly better. Other three matches I enjoyed a lot.

And I like ZSJ so on one hand it hurts to see him go 0-3, but his childish tantrums after each loss more than make up for it. I like when he wins and I like when he loses.

I'm only watching via AXS, but I finally finished up Day 1 yesterday. Absolutely loved Archer/Ospreay and Sanada/ZSJ. Those were two totally different but amazing matches. I think I slightly prefer Sanada/ZSJ. Kenta/Ibushi started out great, but lost some steam as it went on. Still thought it was good and that Kenta looked better there than his entire WWE run. Should catch night 2 later today or tomorrow.

14 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I've been much better able to catch up on G1 than I was last year and am enjoying it quite a bit so far.  I do however avoid any Goto matches since he honestly doesn't do it for me (unless somebody can convince me to check out a match from him)  And after night one I'm not sure if Kenta's matches are worth checking out.  If his match against Tanahashi and the next one are worthwhile I may give them a shot.

I thought Goto/White was the best match on night 2.

• Like 2

I enjoyed night 5 top to bottom as much or more than any other night so far. The face off between stablemates of EVIL and SANADA was gripping, with EVIL finding an extra level of power and intensity at the end. 

Archer had another corker with KENTA and I enjoyed the Hideo jab too. The credibility of KENTAs offence made the David/Goliath dynamic work well.

ZSJ / Tana was so smart with the finish, Tana luring Zack into the counter only to turn it around immediately. It’s a pleasure to see the tantrum and venom spewing get ramped up with each loss too.

And Ibushi / Ospreay had all the drama and callbacks without anything like the Naito apron bump to take you out of the moment.

• Like 1

Yo I only just finished night 4 and Taichi/Naito just literally recreated the ganso bomb, how cool was that. I popped like a little kid when Naito busted out the Emerald Flowsion too, it was such a nice deep little reference in response to the Dangerous T subplot ?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The one we've waited for:

I wonder where Zack's losing streak is going. Surely, Suzuki has to teach Zack a harsh lesson, right?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie