DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

25 minutes ago, peterien said:

How was KENTA Vs Tana? 

I loved it. They brought out Shibata on comms just before which gave it a nice little piquancy, Tana did his subtle heel thing though the crowd wanted him to win. It was a great G1 main event while suggesting they could do more.

• Like 1

KENTA/Tana felt very good live. KENTA's post match promo had them rolling in the aisles for some reason.

Completely unrelated, but did you know two Strong Zero tallboys is the exact right amount to drink during a wrestling show?

• Like 2

Night 3 thoughts...

Preview matches: Okay here’s the thing. I’ve noticed a very much a lack of optimism by stateside New Japan fans. I know, because I’ve felt it myself. But the main takeaway I’ve personally gotten out of these last three days, is that I’ve come away with a lot positive optimism, and the majority of it is coming from these matches. Due in part to this Young Lions class. Mark my words, unless some asshole decides to book these guys into an ESports tournament they have no business competing in, then New Japan’s fortunes are looking up due the potential of a talent explosion from these Young Lions. This is a stud stable that would make Colonel Parker drown in his own sweat. So stop feeling down please, and actually sit down to watch these opening tag matches. They deserve an observant fans attention.

G1 Matches: Were outstanding, and well paced.

Lance Archer Vs. Fale - exceeded my low expectations, and have made me a fan of Archer’s again. Fale going up for a chokeslam, and Archer maintaining the grip stunned me silent. I’ve never seen something like that with a man in the physical shape Fale is in.

Ospreay Vs. Sanada - was a little sloppy, but they were stable enough to pull off a good entertaining match between burgeoning stars. Ospreay going over clean with his finish was a surprise, and showed that the company doesn’t just see him as a guest Junior.

Okada Vs. ZSJ - was there weakest match against one another, but even there weak matches end up on a pile of recommended matches I’d show to a New Japan newbie. 

Ibushi Vs. EVIL - After thinking Kota was out, we find out he’s going to gut it out. It’s the most common story in these tournaments that’s born out of reality. But it never not works with fans. This was no different, as we all winced after every awkward Ibushi landing, and kick thinking that even with all this he’ll fight through it to go over, like we had anticipated. It wasn’t to be though with EVIL getting one on Ibushi in an upset. Nice finishing stretch when you realized that EVIL had a real chance to take it.

Tana Vs. KENTA - We all thought KENTA’s Dallas performance disappointed, but he came back with a vengeance, and brought the hate, as well as the desire for respect. Tanahashi once again challenged our doubts in him, and showed us why he is still the fucking Ace of this fucking promotion. Not a classic, but it was a great building block for both men’s story arc for the rest of this tournament.

Best night so far in this tournament. I have no doubt they will top this soon.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Why does Rocky Romero chastise the hell out of BUSHI on commentary? Did BUSHI shit in his bags or some shit?

I wonder about that, too. Rocky does seem to have an irrational hatred of the Bushirooni.

I'm glad I can get caught up on the G1 tonight while I'm not watching Extreme Rules.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder about that, too. Rocky does seem to have an irrational hatred of the Bushirooni.

I'm glad I can get caught up on the G1 tonight while I'm not watching Extreme Rules.

Could just be a faction thing and left over kayfabe heat from their junior tag days. They never faced off to my knowledge, but Rocky did hold the damn belts 8 times.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Godfrey said:

Not sure if it was selling or not but Cobb looked gassed by the end of the match, might be a long tournament for him.

He was most assuredly gassed. He didn't even try to bridge up on the German suplex pin attempt, and there wasn't much force behind his strikes at the end.

21 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Preview matches: Okay here’s the thing. I’ve noticed a very much a lack of optimism by stateside New Japan fans. I know, because I’ve felt it myself. But the main takeaway I’ve personally gotten out of these last three days, is that I’ve come away with a lot positive optimism, and the majority of it is coming from these matches. Due in part to this Young Lions class. Mark my words, unless some asshole decides to book these guys into an ESports tournament they have no business competing in, then New Japan’s fortunes are looking up due the potential of a talent explosion from these Young Lions. This is a stud stable that would make Colonel Parker drown in his own sweat. So stop feeling down please, and actually sit down to watch these opening tag matches. They deserve an observant fans attention.

In my case it's not a lack enthusiasm but more a lack of time.  Last year I was in Greece and while I thankfully had a couple hours while everybody was napping I could only manage to squeeze in what I could of the G1 matches.  This year I do have more time but considering I was at Evolve Saturday I still have AEW to catch up on and MLW when that airs tonight.  So hopefully after this week it'll be easier for me to be up to speed.  If I read that a preview match is worth seeing I'll surely check that out.  And in this case seeing that Karl Fredericks is getting lots of love doesn't surprise me.  I saw a couple of his matches in ROH and absolutely loved what I saw.  The other LA Dojo guys were pretty good as well from what I remember.  So I'll be definitely watching this and would love any other preview recommendations throughout the G1.

• Like 1

Only saw.the last 3 matches today.

I feel like Mox and Cobb have a great match in them. Today's wasn't it though.

Ishii and White was a blast. 

Naito and Taichi was pretty good, not great. I was waiting for Bushi to even up the sides, which didn't happen. Taichi needed this more than Naito. Their eventual rematch has the potential to be great.

• Like 1

White Vs. Ishii is the match of the tournament so far. Naito Vs. Taichi was the classic wrestling art of doing nothing, but getting a ton of heat no matter what. Brilliant match in its own way. Those two matches might have made this the best show of the G1 for me.

Also... Fuck you Naito! Grabbing Miho like that. You piece of shit.

G1 rules everything. 
My schedule is better this year so I’m catching all the shows and matches and I am LOVING these young lions. Jesus they are going to be good. 

Mox/Cobb wasn’t the greatest but I enjoyed it and it was a match I was looking forward too. 

Everything else is awesome. Knife pervert is growing on me more and more. But, Ishi is MVP. 

• Like 1

Some random thoughts after night 3. I'm saving night 4 for the gym tomorrow.

I wonder if Gedo would throw a total curve and go with a KENTA vs. Moxley final. I'd bet the house WK is among the dates in Mox's contract.

I would have waited on having Shingo lose so soon in the tourney. Beating Shingo should be seen as something special. Getting beat by Juice takes some of the luster off. Ospreay should still be Shingo's only loss at this point.

Archer vs. Fale was a fun super heavyweight battle. It's a cliché, but that was like Godzilla vs. King Kong. It's so bizarre hearing a crowd cheer for Archer. 

I enjoyed the hell out of Cobb vs. Ishii. I hope we see Cobb challenge Ishii for the Never title down the road. I just want to see them beat the beejeezsus out of each other again.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1