DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

17 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not to make light of poor Kota's predicament but I say it's time to bring in Minoru Suzuki like they should have done.

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's what I would do.

This. Added bonus is Minoru Suzuki booting Young Lions in the face as Suzuki makes his entrance.

• Like 1

Juice and Shingo worked well together, really smooth

Enjoyed Naito and the ref having to act like having your shirt pulled over your head was a major conundrum to solve

It's gonna be all like "Naito has lost three out of three since his t-shirt has been stuck over his head, how will he reverse this confounding career tailspin? "

Chris Charlton relegated back to translation duties but not actually translating everything it seems

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Moxley's trained him well.

I was actually disappointed they didn’t do some sort of comedy spot where Miho, and Shota got into a battle of corner men. Maybe somehow leading to Miho kicking him in the nuts.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Really dug Cobb/Ishii and Shingo/Juice. Both matches had the results I expected but wasn't exactly rooting for but Juice had to get a win and I'm still hoping for Ishii to win one of these tournaments some day so I can't be mad at that. Not sure if it was selling or not but Cobb looked gassed by the end of the match, might be a long tournament for him.

Moxley/Taichi and White/Goto were good too, I just can't bring myself to care about Taichi or Goto. Jay White looks like he's working towards a Man from La Mancha gimmick now and I like it.

Damn fun shows so far!

Shingo/Juice was damn good and probably my favorite match today. Shingo works at such a high level doing the little things and big things right.

Mox/Taichi was what it was. Really dreading Mox vs Naito and Ishii. A really dead spot in the tournament for me.

Cobb/Ishii felt a little too Michael Elginy to me. Big spots without meaning, no sells and kickouts. Still some good work from both guys.

Yano/Naito is high-level Yano tomfoolery and it was fine.

White/Goto was solid. Jay is really comfortable in his role and Goto is Goto and I agree with the sentiment that it is tough to get really excited about him.

Edited by quackhell
  • Like 1

Having finally watched and hated Moxley/Janela this morning, I almost skipped Taichi/Mox and I'm super glad I didn't. I know the outside sneak attack to establish advantage in a match isn't exactly earth-shattering, but it was just a very smart way to structure this match, and Moxley did a good job of selling that initial beating.

• Like 1

Missed Juicey Boy/Shingo

Moxley/Taichi was fine. It's fun seeing Moxley hit harder in Japan. I am a simple man with simple tastes, I guess. 

The Yano match was as good as you get for Yano fans. 

If you want bombs, watch Cobb/Ishii and you got 'em. Not much of a fan of the whole Kobashi/Sasaki trading strikes bullshit but Ishii sold his ass off the entire time, which is something nobody brings up -- when this dude sells, he's awesome. Who knows how much of it was legit but by the end they practically needed a stretcher for him. All of that goes a long way to justifying the setup of the match, and there were some nasty surprises that helped it work too. 

White has really came along. Moxley might be stiffer in Japan but White is a fucking woodchipper to his hacksaw. And of course I love Goto, but really, do you have to burn through all of his finishers to put away White? Just let him steal the Bladerunner and be done with it; it'd get the move over as a one-shot kill and give White elevation in loss. That said, Goto has a lot of really cool finishers... shit, put him in late '90s AJPW and people would be drooling over him like no other. 

I have never been able to wrap my mind around someone enjoying a Yano match.  I am always down for a good comedy match, but my lord, everything I have seen him in has been awful.  What is a match that may sway me from that thought process?

Yano is Yano, you enjoy his surreal antics as its own thing in New Japan or you don't. I just wish he still did all his old heel junk from the early days. Umbrellas, sandals, hammers, lots of sake, tons of other junk.

• Like 1