DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

B Block starts Saturday morning @ 2 AM EST.

Isn’t this an unfair advantage to block A to have a big break between the first round and second round? Especially with Kota’s Injury? Block B doesn’t get that break.

8 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Isn’t this an unfair advantage to block A to have a big break between the first round and second round? Especially with Kota’s Injury? Block B doesn’t get that break.

It's probably an advantage for everyone in block A except Kota, who needed the week-long break to heal his ankle.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Awful. Just awful. Not surprising after reading that tweet and seeing his ankle but dude will annihilate his ankle if they don't take him out. This fits his story of being the Almost Man though. In likely what is to be his big shining moment he gets injured.

That really sucks for Ibushi as I was looking forward to the matches he would have had.  But in trying to find a positive in this when he's back there could be quite a redemption story to tell.

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Will anyone take Kota's spot or will everyone else in A block get points via forfeit when they were supposed to face Kota?

Not to make light of poor Kota's predicament but I say it's time to bring in Minoru Suzuki like they should have done.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Also liked the busaiku knee? Wasn’t that the real finisher? Hit the GTS, stand them up and then blow their head off with the knee?

No, the Knee was usually the setup to the G2S.  It was Bryan that turned the Knee into a finisher.  

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Will anyone take Kota's spot or will everyone else in A block get points via forfeit when they were supposed to face Kota?

This early in the tourny, they would absolutely replace him rather than do the massive headache rebooking the entire block around 8 forfeits.  MiSu is the most likely since he can snag the wins that Ibushi would've gotten without them being a massive upset like they would be if they inserted a midcarder that missed the cut.

• Like 2

I say no Suzuki. They have an angle with him. They should stick to it. Y’all know what that means right...

B_yfJ6WUYAAitYR.jpg

Regardless it’s almost very uncommon for an injured wrestler to be replaced while a G1 is going on. In fact I believe it’s never happened. Best thing to do, If they do in fact replace him, would be to go with someone who has no chance of gaining points. Like when Honma replaced Ibushi in 2014 before the G1, and give the points to Ospreay. Who should jump into Ibushi’s spot as a priority to push in this league, rather than write old Suzuki into his spot. If this was a weaker block I could understand. But this block contains a future company star in Ospreay. Unless... They would be desperate enough to suck it up, and call Kenny back. But no, it should be Will who gets the extra points.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Everybody is on every show, except for Moxley and Taichi.

Catching up on Night 1.   I felt ZSJ vs. SANADA was the MOTN but I could see an argument for a few matches,  the whole show was fantastic.  I loved the bright lighting and the fans who were in attendance were great.  Too bad it doesn't appear that Dallas is a hotbed for New Japan. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is the show being on Saturday why we have no AXS airing tonight/are they airing it tomorrow?

I think they’re permanently switching to Saturday nights. At least all through the g1 but seems like Saturday will be the new night. 

show 2 in the books, really enjoyed it.

- Shingo v Juice might be forgotten at the end of the tournament, nay, I guarantee it will be, but it was really great. The slightly more serious Juice is something I'm buying and the little spots they did to remind you Shingo is a jr were top.

- Mox v Taichi was a good brawl. Mox is over as hell and Taichi wasn't just chopped liver in there. The little ECW/CZW mannerisms that Mox does work here, I don't get it, but it does. Hope this isn't going to be the standard layout though.

- Yano v Naito was a good Yano match, you could see they were both loving it too.

- Cobb v Ishii was a quality big boy bash, maybe not as intense as their pull apart would have you think but epic enough.

- Goto v White was a deserving main event. White's reversal sequences are hitting the poetic levels, and it's important that he keeps winning those sections. When someone gets the wood on him it'll pop Honshu. Enjoyable stuff and Goto looks set for his classic great half a G1 before sliding into knackered doughnut oblivion.

• Like 2

Don’t sleep on the LA Dojo Vs. NJ Dojo six man tag undercard match. We can look back at that, and say a potential future rivalry started there.

Remember the name, Karl Fredericks. That guy looked like a star tonight.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5