• Cobb
  • Ishii
  • Yano
  • Naito
  • Moxley
  • Taichi
  • Shingo
  • Juice

And now key matches from each show with main event being listed first. Budokan shows don't have listed main events so I'm going with my gut feels there.

Spoiler

July 6th in Dallas, A Block:

• Okada vs Tanahashi
  • Ibushi vs KENTA
  • Sanada vs ZSJ
  • EVIL vs Fale
  • Ospreay vs Archer

July 13th in Ota City General Gymnasium, Tokyo, B Block:

• White vs Goto
  • Ishii vs Cobb
  • Yano vs Naito
  • Moxley vs Taichi
  • Juice vs Shingo

July 14th in Ota City General Gymnasium, Tokyo, A Block:

• Tanahashi vs KENTA
  • Ibushi vs EVIL
  • Okada vs ZSJ
  • Ospreay vs Sanada
  • Fale vs Archer

July 15th in Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center Hokkai Kitayell, Hokkaido, B Block:

• Naito vs Taichi
  • Ishii vs White
  • Cobb vs Moxley
  • Juice vs Goto
  • Yano vs Shingo

July 18th in Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, A Block:

• Ibushi vs Ospreay
  • Tanahashi vs ZSJ
  • Okada vs Fale
  • EVIL vs Sanada
  • KENTA vs Archer

July 19th in Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, B Block:

• Ishii vs Moxley
  • Goto vs Naito
  • Yano vs White
  • Juice vs Cobb
  • Shingo vs Taichi

July 20th in Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, A Block:

• Okada vs Ospreay
  • Ibushi vs Sanada
  • KENTA vs EVIL
  • Tanahashi vs Archer
  • ZSJ vs Fale

July 24th in Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall, Hiroshima, B Block:

• Ishii vs Naito
  • Cobb vs White
  • Moxley vs Shingo
  • Goto vs Taichi
  • Juice vs Yano

July 27th in Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium, Aichi, A Block:

• Okada vs KENTA
  • Tanahashi vs Sanada
  • EVIL vs ZSJ
  • Ospreay vs Fale
  • Ibushi vs Archer

July 28th in Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium, Aichi, B Block:

• Naito vs Moxley
  • Shingo vs White
  • Cobb vs Taichi
  • Juice vs Ishii
  • Goto vs Yano

July 30th in Takamatsu City General Gymnasium #1, Kagawa, A Block:

• EVIL vs Tanahashi
  • KENTA vs Sanada
  • Okada vs Archer
  • Ospreay vs ZSJ
  • Ibushi vs Fale

August 1st in Fukuoka Citizen Gymnasium, Fukuoka, B Block:

• Ishii vs Goto
  • Taichi vs White
  • Juice vs Naito
  • Yano vs Moxley
  • Cobb vs Shingo

August 3rd in Edion arena, Osaka, A Block:

• Okada vs Sanada
  • Tanahashi vs Ibushi
  • Ospreay vs EVIL
  • ZSJ vs Archer
  • KENTA vs Fale

August 4th in Edion arena, Osaka, B Block:

• Naito vs Shingo
  • Moxley vs White
  • Goto vs Cobb
  • Juice vs Taichi
  • Ishii vs Yano

August 7th in Hamamatsu Arena, Shizuoka, A Block:

• Okada vs EVIL
  • Ibushi vs ZSJ
  • Ospreay vs KENTA
  • Tanahashi vs Fale
  • Sanada vs Archer

August 8th in Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium, Kanagawa, B Block:

• Ishii vs Shingo
  • Juice vs White
  • Goto vs Moxley
  • Cobb vs Naito
  • Yano vs Taichi

August 10th in Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, A Block:

• Okada vs Ibushi
  • Tanahashi vs Ospreay
  • KENTA vs ZSJ
  • EVIL vs Archer
  • Sanada vs Fale

August 11th in Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, B Block:

• Naito vs White
  • Moxley vs Juice
  • Ishii vs Taichi
  • Goto vs Shingo
  • Yano vs Cobb

August 12th in Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Finals:

• A Block winner vs B Block winner
Edited by Dolfan in NYC
Spoilers. For. Size. My Lordt.

Super J-cast calculated how many people got main events. And then gave 2 points of each main event and 1 for semi-main:

Surprising that Ishii is up there with Okada and Naito, but I won't complain. Interesting that Moxley and KENTA aren't featured that much.

Weird how they gave lots of spotlight to Taichi during the promotional video, yet in the end he doesn't have that many high profile matches. If he pops the crowd then maybe he should have more prominent role as well? On the other hand it is difficult to argue that he should get more high profile matches than Sanada or Moxley. So it is probably okay and I'm just over-thinking this.

I think that B block on last day is fairly straightforward. Naito vs White will decide it and there is probably 1% chance that they draw and Moxley gets to the finals.

A Block is more interesting. Obvious big match is Okada vs Ibushi, but either Tanahashi or Ospreay will probably be alive on last day and their match will matter. I think that Tanahashi sneaking in is more likely than Moxley doing the same. Interesting thing to me thou is that KENTA/ZSJ is big-ish match as well, would not be surprised if KENTA is alive on the last day as well.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Super J-cast calculated how many people got main events. And then gave 2 points of each main event and 1 for semi-main:

Surprising that Ishii is up there with Okada and Naito, but I won't complain. Interesting that Moxley and KENTA aren't featured that much.

Weird how they gave lots of spotlight to Taichi during the promotional video, yet in the end he doesn't have that many high profile matches. If he pops the crowd then maybe he should have more prominent role as well? On the other hand it is difficult to argue that he should get more high profile matches than Sanada or Moxley. So it is probably okay and I'm just over-thinking this.

I think that B block on last day is fairly straightforward. Naito vs White will decide it and there is probably 1% chance that they draw and Moxley gets to the finals.

A Block is more interesting. Obvious big match is Okada vs Ibushi, but either Tanahashi or Ospreay will probably be alive on last day and their match will matter. I think that Tanahashi sneaking in is more likely than Moxley doing the same. Interesting thing to me thou is that KENTA/ZSJ is big-ish match as well, would not be surprised if KENTA is alive on the last day as well.

Yup. Kind of surprised they're not featuring Moxley more and that he's likely returning the favour for Juice on the last day already. Really sets up B Block as a bore beyond watching Taichi and Yano doing their best to make things interesting. 

On 6/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, Venom said:

I'm not sure how much better they could've made their 20 competitors. Penta for Kenta? But that's about it. What an event.

Almost anyone else for Fale, but it's hard to complain with a field like this.

• Like 1

I'm actually attending Nights 2 & 3 in Ota City, cashing in a raincheck for an old 30th birthday present. Of course I pick the year to finally do this after 15 years of lusting for live G1 action the fucking year they're running Tanahashi/Okada in Dallas. Originally I wanted to be there for the shows @ Korakuen but the timing didn't work out. Every travel guide for foreign NJPW fans is concerned with either Korakuen, Sumo Hall, the Budokan or the Dome. So I have, like, no idea what I'm doing.

I'm not getting the absolute primo matchups but I'm getting a fresh, likely injury-free roster and it's the freakin' G1. Block A is nearly infallible and I've got Fale vs. Archer cancelling each other out. Tanahashi vs. KENTA is tantalizing. Okada/ZSJ is at least guaranteed good, right?  I'm more down on the Block B show I'm seeing mainly because Naito vs. Yano takes some value out of things (love both guys though). Still - it's a card with Juice vs. Shingo and Ishii vs. Cobb. White vs. Goto will probably be better than I expect. Really, the night comes down to whether Moxley vs. Taichi ends up being as insane as it could be. It's both guys' first G1 match and I expect them to be very motivated, but I have concerns involving their ability to communicate and if the crowd is gonna be hot for it.

• Like 5

I know Ishii is going 4-5 or 5-4 but how they're going to do it will be interesting given that he needs to set up NEVER challenges by losing (I assume he has to lose to Taichi) but also needs to get a big win here and there. It's great that NJPW have created a situation where thinking about things like this is good. I imagine he'll lose to Moxley (in order to give him the kind of match he needs to look good) and beat Cobb (so he can do something in ROH).

I think that Ishii/Taichi IV is unavoidable at this point. And Taichi might be winning that. So it might be that he beats most of the lower tier guys and loses only to Taichi and big hitters like Naito/White/Moxley because they wouldn't be interested in challenging for NEVER title anyway.

Random stuff till this thing starts:

Not exactly sure who is doing these pick ems, but Goto at 11% sounds crazy.

They also started releasing G1 videos for each wrestler. It looks like Sanada got a new logo, if I'm not mistaken, looks more pirate-like. His video also does not play his theme at any moment so it might be that he is getting new entrance theme as well.

And it is kinda funny to watch Evil's and Sanada's videos one after another, they are in same faction and tag team partners yet they couldn't look more different.

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only way Goto is winning is if they decide to go full Nakanishi and give him a gold watch IWGP run with like one or no winning defenses.

A repeat choker. Lex Luger territory, if not worse.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

A repeat choker. Lex Luger territory, if not worse.

FWIW, if I'm going to pick between watching a Goto match or Lex Luger, I'm picking Goto.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only way Goto is winning is if they decide to go full Nakanishi and give him a gold watch IWGP run with like one or no winning defenses.

It sure as hell ain't happening at WK. If he gets gold watch run then it is probably happening in Dontaku or similar size show.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Archibald said:

They streamed G1 presser and had american fans in attendance. Top reason to cancel western expansion.

New Japan kicking off the G1 in Texas seems like a really odd choice. Was there some kind of demand for New Japan in Texas? Sure, I'm bias being in New Jersey, but I think MSG would have been the best choice to have the G1 in the US. I can only speak for myself, but I assume most people at the NJPW/ROH Supercard were there for New Japan. 

In non G1 news, Southern Showdown is finally up on New Japan World.

I think I'm most looking forward to Shingo vs Ishii. If Shingo's participation in last year's Champion Carnival showed me anything, it's that Shingo is great against clobbery dudes.

• Like 2