DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Chair-ity - 6/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Hey, Seth Rollins is kind of a dick, isn't he?

Frankly, he kind of deserved that weak ass beat down Corbin gave him at the end of the show. 

Well, at least EC3 got a lot of screen time.  (Yes it still counts!) 

Roman beating the shit out of Shane and co. was nice.

It was good to see something done with the Good Brothers. Hopefully this isn't the last of it.

The elimination 5-way was good, especially the Ricochet/Miz portion. Even liking Miz that was a decent bit better than I would have expected. 

Alexa manipulating Nikki against Bayley could be interesting.

Kind of surprised that they kept the 24/7 stuff to a minimum though I did enjoy truth and Carmella in disguise.

Feels like Bray will finally arriving in person soon with the mask. I've enjoyed the Firefly Fun house segments so I hope they keep them when it finally happens.

I actually liked Rollins beating the shit out of people with a chair though it definitely was a bit much with poor Eric Young.

This episode was weird. It wasn't quite good, but it was far more competently written than usual.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I kinda liked this episode I felt all the matches and backstage segments flowed nicely into one another more so than usual and they stayed away from the long boring talking segments for the most part. They also stayed away from dumb comedy stuff.   Truth stuff is actually funny and of course the Firefly Funhouse was entertaining again.  I liked all the genre remixes of the muscleman dance song lol. 

They want Seth Rollins to come off like some sort of badass in the worst way, but he just isn’t that guy. Even a little bit. He wasn’t meant to “walk tall.”

i love the Alexa/Nikki stuff, because it’s good for them, and because I think Nikki accidentally costs Lex the match, so the title can stay on Bayley. Everyone comes out without their characters shit on.

That firefly funhouse was fucking awesome.

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

They want Seth Rollins to come off like some sort of badass in the worst way, but he just isn’t that guy. Even a little bit. He wasn’t meant to “walk tall.”

There used to this guy who worked for WWE who would have been perfect for that kind of role, but they booked him like some kind of goofball idiot.

What is his name again? For the life of me, I can't think of it...

Wait...hold on, it's on the tip of my tongue...

Jon Moxley

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’ll never understand that, as long as I live, and them trying to make Rollins into that guy feels like a forced response to the tour de fucking force Mox has been on...

• Like 3

Went to this RAW. What a fun show. Everyone was over, even Baron Corbin. Show started hot and there were very few lulls. 

Dana Brooke took a nasty face first bump into a ringpost in a match against Sarah Logan before the show started and got busted open. Hope she’s okay.

Also, Sarah Logan cut a promo calling herself a Viking, so I guess they’re gonna pair her with The Viking Raiders soon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Best part was Alexa nearly tripping over the cable at ringside and breaking character to glare at the cameraman. lol

I'm not sure that even counts as breaking character, since berating crew members is something she does regularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Dana Brooke took a nasty face first bump into a ringpost in a match against Sarah Logan before the show started and got busted open. Hope she’s okay.

Also, Sarah Logan cut a promo calling herself a Viking, so I guess they’re gonna pair her with The Viking Raiders soon?

Sarah probably will get punished for your first sentence, so I bet no one hears from her for another two or three months.

9 minutes ago, brocklock said:

Sarah probably will get punished for your first sentence, so I bet no one hears from her for another two or three months.

If the Rock were her cousin, she'd get a push, but he isn't so yeah, she might be screwed...

• Like 1

Caught the first hour of this, and read the rest of the results to catch up. 

That elimination match to start off the show in the place of a shitty scripted public conversation between two people who have no business reciting lines, was excellent. The Seth angle was some of the strongest booking they’ve done with him since Wrestlemania. Took them fucking long enough to present somebody who’s holding your main belt as a star. The whole shows reads like a response to AEW, the booking in general, and the criticism of the way they’ve neglected the call ups. But it feels like one of those condescending responses that Vince, and creative like to do. “See here, are the Viking Raiders. We know they still exist”, but then they make them seem like afterthoughts by having a 24/7 segment immediately following their squash. Like why not have them excessively beat up the jobbers afterwards to the point that makes them scarier? 

Caught the first hour of this, and read the rest of the results to catch up. 

That elimination match to start off the show in the place of a shitty scripted public conversation between two people who have no business reciting lines, was excellent. I didn’t like babyface Ricochet accepting heel Lashley, and heel Cesaro’s help in defeating Strowman without any recourse.

The Seth angle was some of the strongest booking they’ve done with him since Wrestlemania. Took them fucking long enough to present somebody who’s holding your main belt as a star. The whole shows reads like a response to AEW, the booking in general, and the criticism of the way they’ve neglected the call ups. But it feels like one of those condescending responses that Vince, and creative like to do. “See here, are the Viking Raiders. We know they still exist”, but then they make them seem like afterthoughts by having a 24/7 segment immediately following their squash. Like why not have them excessively beat up the jobbers afterwards to the point that makes them scarier? 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I haven’t watched Raw since MITB, and I guess I got a little confused on the alignments here. The way Cesaro and Lashley beat up Elias made it seem like they were faces. So I thought it was odd they’d do a 5 way with 5 baby faces, and end with Ricochet and Miz, who are definitely faces.

also, Alexa and Nikki seem like faces, and were definitely faces against the IIconics, but then Alexa is going against Bayley, who came out like a heel (just like Samoa Joe did earlier) and essentially cost Alexa and Nikki the match. So Bayley is heel here?

and Seth Rollins acts like a heel all night, and gets his comeuppance. He got what he deserved? 

Also it’s criminal that Stomping Grounds is in Washington state and instead of Rollins v. Bryan we got tonight they’re getting Corbin. Dumb. 

Also, Shawn Spears is right. You know who’s winning every match as soon as the entrances are over every single time.

• Like 1

The Alexa/Nikki/Bayley thing is kinda weird in that it’s not super obvious that Alexa is manipulating Nikki(ie Alexa making evil shifty eyes whenever Nikki leaves the room) and they leave some ambiguity there. Bayley was actually getting some boos last night for interfering because people were behind the Alexa/Nikki pairing. It’s far more subtle than they usually are.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Braun's taking a ride on the Alpamare Waterslide.

Yep, I like when Cesaro brings it back out.

Cesaro using it on Braun shows again how freakishly strong Cesaro is.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

So Stomping Grounds has to end with EC3, Eric Young et al coming out and giving Seth Rollins his comeuppance, right? I mean, heels still get their comeuppance in modern WWE, right.

My main takeaways from this show are that I'm excited for the live debut of the new Bray Wyatt, and Cesaro really needs to be pushed into the world title scene before it's too late. Or at least give me a competitive Cesaro/Strowman feud. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yep, I like when Cesaro brings it back out.

Cesaro using it on Braun shows again how freakishly strong Cesaro is.

I'd like to see him try the UFO on Braun. I don't see why he couldn't hit the Ricola Bomb, or the Cesaro Bomb as it was in NXT, on Braun.

• Like 1