DVDVR Message Board

What film is a good representation of your city/state/region?

Swift

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

We do pity your lack of subspace highways

The really annoying thing is that we still get coins for defeating someone. It would be a lot more convenient if the money was loaded directly onto our Presto card or something. No idea whom I'd talk to about that, though.

• Haha 1

I've lived in NYC my whole life. We've had a gazillion movies filmed here. And yet to me, nothing has ever really nailed the spirit and vibrancy of Gotham quite like Harold Lloyd's Speedy. Filmed almost entirely on location, it's a real love letter to my hometown.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 4:37 PM, bobholly138 said:

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia... Don't live in West Virginia but rural MS is pretty much the same.

As a lifelong Morgantown resident (college town, home of WVU), I've always felt Wrong Turn was a fairly accurate representation of the rural parts of the state.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7
4 hours ago, PhilUK said:

Lush green English fields where I live, and some stately homes nearby. I mean essentially I live in Jane Austen countryside, so it's probably got to be one of the adaptions

Anatomy of a Murder is the only worthwhile film that is set in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula. There is also Escanaba in da Moonlight but I've never seen it as it looks to mock the area more than care about representing it and Reindeer Games was a giant turd that was also completely inaccurate about the area. I believe there was a film being made in the Keeweenaw earlier this decade but I never found out what came of that. 

Edit: Found out that it was released and it was called Superior it atleast looks to capture the beauty of the Keeweenaw peninsula so maybe I'll check it out some time. 

Edited by Sublime

On 6/17/2019 at 11:28 AM, Raziel said:

New Jersey:

Pick a Kevin Smith movie.

I'd pick Clerks and Mallrats. I remember going to the Rt. 1 Flea Market aka the dirt mall as a young kid. The gyros were so good there. You watched the guys cut the meat off the rotisserie. I remember when the flea market was torn down to make way for the Loews, now AMC theater. Also, just going to Menlo or Brunswick Square Mall (Middlesex guy here) to hang out with no intention of buying anything and running into a bunch of your friends.

Clerks brings back memories of playing roller hockey. It seemed like everyone in this area played when the Rangers and the Devils won the Cup in consecutive years. Everything about it was relatable from everybody asking who brought the balls and drinking all the Gatorade. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

13 hours ago, driver said:

I liked Escanaba a lot. 

I should probably give it a chance someday, I know a lot of people who liked it and I know some people who feel like it mocks Yoopers or plays up stereotypes about us. That said I know Jeff Daniels truly loves the area and I doubt he'd write and star in a movie that was too disparaging to it so someday I'll get around to giving it a shot.

20 hours ago, Sublime said:

I should probably give it a chance someday, I know a lot of people who liked it and I know some people who feel like it mocks Yoopers or plays up stereotypes about us. That said I know Jeff Daniels truly loves the area and I doubt he'd write and star in a movie that was too disparaging to it so someday I'll get around to giving it a shot.

It's definitely somewhat mocking, but I think it's more of the "lovingly mocking" variety than looking down on if.

8 hours ago, driver said:

He loves the area so much he has a theater there.

Does he? I know the Purple Rose, but that's in Chelsea, way down state. A friend of mine from college did her internship there.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, Contentious C said:

Yeah, chalk that up to my lack of watching Waters movies.  I routinely forget him despite having spent my share of time hanging out in Hampden. 

I went to the Bloody Bucket one time a few years ago with some friends, because one of them was a huge fan of his and thought of it as a field trip.  We basically knew the instant we walked in the door it was not a great idea.  It wasn't dangerous per se, but here are 4 kinda hipster-y folks with letters after their names walking into a bar where the woman slinging drinks looks like she probably buys meth from her own children.  If awkwardness were water, we would have drowned ourselves.  Never mind that my girlfriend at the time was the only one who had successful "elite" parents - the rest of us were first-generation overachievers and had our share of hillbilly relatives - but it was like we all knew this was exactly the sort of fate we'd spent our lives getting away from.  We bought our one drink, drank it, moved on.

And now, of course, the most fucking pretentious coffee place you could possibly imagine is roughly across the street.  It makes Ceremony downtown look like a McDonald's.

Artifact Coffee? For a Spike Gjerde place it's downright quaint. Still not my scene.

Definitely going to pick the OG Hairspray over The Wire if only because almost all the white people on it have New York or Philly accents. Snoop might have the best Baltimore accent I've ever heard on screen this side of Edith Massey (different accents though they may be). Did they ever get Idris Elba to say "dew"?

I was a kid Minnesota when Fargo came out. People were very offended by the accents. I thought they were spot-on. But if I really wanted to see which movie looked the most like the MN of my childhood I'd have to watch Graffiti Bridge again and that's not happening any time soon.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Does he? I know the Purple Rose, but that's in Chelsea, way down state. A friend of mine from college did her internship there.

That's the theater. I always thought it was in the UP.

Masterminds, the Galifianakis movie about an armored car heist, was both shot in, is about, and is very reminiscent of my hometown. Parts of his character seem a bit over the top, but at the same time, it’s really not.

The first seasons of Homeland were shot around the corner from where I lived at the time, specifically Claire Danes’ and Mandy Patinkin’s houses. The Cinemax show Banshee was filmed near my parents’ house. I remember watching the main guy run down an alley in Gastonia, only to come out by Memorial Stadium in Charlotte.