DVDVR Message Board

IF YOU SHOW ME YOUR FAVORITE ALBUM I WILL CLEAN HOUSE TO IT

Lamp, broken circa 1988

Awwww shit, it's time for the spin-off!

So there's some Shit That Needs To Happen in this house, and while I have my own wide array of music I've been going through while cleaning, I figured I'd open myself up to suggestions. I'm probably going to be making less notes than usual about these records because I'll be cleaning, but hey, if you've ever wanted to make someone listen to your favorite shit ever (or you like the other version of this thread that I do and want me to write about something less modern (because I don't like have some legal way to make sure you're telling me your Actual Favorite Album)).

The only ground rule is I'm still not listening to the maga-era kanye shit. Other than that, go nuts.

By the way, my favorite album is "Public Strain" by Women. Do what you like with that information.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

51BG3MCYDQL.jpg

Turns out I have a physical limit to how much zydeco I can listen to before I get antsy, and it's 24 minutes. I find it hard for me to say a cogent thing about this for a few reasons.

1) it is an extremely regional thing that I imagine has to get its claws in early. It is such a peculiar mixture of elements though that it feels like some kind of jukebox for aliens that plays two songs at the same time. The cheapness of the electronic drum sounds is just so distracting. I dunno. I can't get my head around what they're going for.

2) It's a compliation, so it's not like I can fall back on artist's intent, since it's meant to be a thing you just hit Go on because there's some ritual in your life that's zydeco-centric but not necessarily zydeco-discerning.

It's raw music for the sake of raw music. This is not a bad thing. It's just that- as someone who specifically only makes music in an album context, and even more specifically sees songs as a collection of pieces that can speak to a greater idea and flesh it out in a three-dimensional way that I enjoy more than other art forms- I'm not equipped to think about it in the same way that I do with longer statements.

I did finish it. I did not make a special note of any of the songs on it. Bottom line: if you like zydeco, I can confirm this is zydeco.

I think i might have 10 Iron Maiden albums over a Best of Judas Priest.

Anyway, the answer to this question for me is probably Miles Davis - Bitches Brew because it's not only one of the greatest albums of all-time but it's also the one album the most responsible for teaching me the lesson that a lot of the best music you'll ever hear isn't going to be on the radio.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, Execproducer said:

Image result for tsushimamire album covers

TsuShiMaMiRe- Pregnant Fantasy.

I will say that when I saw there was a song on here with "Ska" in the title I felt real, real dread. I am no friend of Ska. Then I put it on and just genuinely enjoyed the record all the way through. I feel that it's got what a lot of rock bands are missing, which is engaging in tropes because you enjoy them and not because it's your brand or because you're seeking some puritan ideal. They immerse themselves in rock history but none of the dogma, so they can fuck around with it in anarchic ways. Really enjoyed this. Favorite song was Manhole.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, Curt McGirt said:

BTW, DVDVR answers without Buzzcocks, Roxy Music or the Gun Club just ain't right

To say nothing of the criminal lack of Roy Wood or the Cramps!

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

I used to be tangentially connected to the Japanese indie music scene. I saw them live when they were opening for the Suicide Girls (yes, those Suicide Girls) . As you might imagine, they absolutely kill it live.

Did someone say "Japanese"? 

On 6/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, Death From Above said:

I think i might have 10 Iron Maiden albums over a Best of Judas Priest.

Anyway, the answer to this question for me is probably Miles Davis - Bitches Brew because it's not only one of the greatest albums of all-time but it's also the one album the most responsible for teaching me the lesson that a lot of the best music you'll ever hear isn't going to be on the radio.

One of the greatest albums of all-time. Good ol' Miles, also taught me that geniuses can be complete dickheads.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, Curt McGirt said:

BTW, DVDVR answers without Buzzcocks, Roxy Music or the Gun Club just ain't right

Any music thread that fails to mention Kid Congo Powers is a sad thing indeed.

On 6/16/2019 at 2:28 AM, Pete said:

hqdefault.jpg

So I've been meaning to listen to this record for years, so it was nice to finally get around to it. I didn't like it.

I try to give a wide berth to rappers for singing about ignorant shit, especially the older it is because it's a young art form from a population that traditionally hasn't had chances to express themselves the ways they've wanted to. Like, with older stuff, it's people inventing a language for themselves in their youth, so of course some of the shit they say is going to be wack. To be young is to make mistakes. That said, I was reading about the reception to this album and all of the people that positioned this record as like "FINALLY, A 90S ALTERNATIVE TO GANGSTA RAP" unnerve me. I don't know. There's a disconnect between this and me that I'm not sure I've actually done a good job highlighting here. It's not like a bad record at all, it's just extremely of it's time and place and I wasn't there.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:51 AM, MORELOCK said:

ApologiestotheQueenMary.jpg

There's probably like four decent indie rock bands and Wolf Parade is one of them. I've listened to this album a fucking lot in my life so I could yell about it for hours, but I'm going to summarize it by saying that as I've aged I've liked Dan Boeckner's songs more, to the point where I almost prefer his stuff on this record to Krug's. Like, I think I've spread my opinions on being Anti-Ballad, but one of the few exceptions I make is for Same Ghost Every Night. Also, one of my favorite songs to play on guitar is Shine A Light.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...