DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAPING SPOILERS - 6/19 - 8/7/19

Dolfan in NYC

Here are the taping results from last night at Full Sail, beginning the road to Takeover: TO 2.

Remember, things can be shown totally out of order or not at all.

Spoiler

A 49 second "Moment of Silence" for the 3rd Anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shootings began the taping.

6/19 Show: 

- There was an in-ring segment with The Undisputed Era and a new TV introduction was shown that only features them. Adam Cole said him winning the NXT Championship is only the beginning.

Velveteen Dream, Matt Riddle, and Tyler Breeze each interrupted, and Breeze said that William Regal has made a six-man tag for tonight with three members of Undisputed Era facing Breeze, Riddle & Velveteen Dream.

- Damian Priest defeated Raul Mendoza

This was the TV reintroduction of the former Punishment Martinez. He has a new entrance featuring spotlights and his logo on the tron.

- Xia Li defeated Taynara Conti

A spinning kick got Li the win.

- The Undisputed Era (NXT Champion Adam Cole, Roderick Strong & Bobby Fish w/ Kyle O'Reilly) defeated NXT North American Champion Velveteen Dream, Tyler Breeze & Matt Riddle

Strong caught Dream with The End of Heartache after some distractions and miscommunication with Breeze.

Thereafter (6/26-7/10):

- Mr. Regal announced a Breakout tournament for Performance Center wrestlers who haven't had many opportunities yet. The winner of the eight-man tournament will receive a future title shot.

The bracket for the tournament has Jordan Myles (formerly known as ACH) vs. Boa and Isaiah "Swerve" Scott (formerly Shane Strickland) vs. Cameron Grimes (formerly Trevor Lee) on the left side. The right side has Bronson Reed (formerly Jonah Rock) vs. Dexter Lumis (formerly Samuel Shaw) and Angel Garza (formerly Garza Jr.) vs. Joaquin Wilde (formerly DJZ).

- Angel Garza defeated Joaquin Wilde in a Breakout tournament first round match

This was excellent. The crowd was into the match and elevated for the finish where Garza hit a cradle sit-down slam. Garza won over the crowd as a top guy in one match.

- NXT Tag Team Champions The Street Profits defeated The Forgotten Sons (Wesley Blake & Steve Cutler) by DQ

Jaxson Ryker interfered and caused the disqualification. After the match, Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch made the save but also took a long look at the Tag Team titles.

- Keith Lee defeated Nykos Rikos

The crowd loved Lee. He got the quick win here.

- Mia Yim defeated Aliyah (w/ Vanessa Borne)

Yim got the decisive victory and then went to the commentary desk, seemingly to ask for stronger competition.

- Kushida defeated Jeff Parker

Kushida submitted him with the Hoverboard Lock.

- Cameron Grimes defeated Isaiah "Swerve" Scott in a Breakout tournament first round match

This had good back-and-forth action, with Grimes using a double stomp to the chest to get the win.

- Bianca Belair defeated Priscilla Zuniga

The former Diamante from Impact Wrestling was making an appearance here and took the fall after Belair hit the K.O.D.

- Roderick Strong defeated Tyler Breeze

Good match that got plenty of time before O'Reilly and Fish ran down and caused just enough of a distraction to allow Strong to hit the End of Heartache.

- Jordan Myles defeated Boa in a Breakout tournament first round match

?Malcolm Bivens (the former Stokely Hathaway) was ringside watching this match to scout Myles. ? Myles won with a 450.

- Damian Priest defeated Blanco Loco

This was a quick match to show the dominance of Priest.

- Bronson Reed defeated Dexter Lumis in a Breakout tournament first round match

A big splash got Reed the win.

- NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler defeated Io Shirai in a steel cage match to retain her title

Great match. The Horsewomen got involved and ran a distraction, taking out the outside referee and locking the door. Candice LeRae ran down to even the odds and allowed Shirai to hit a moonsault from the top on Baszler.

The finish saw Baszler apply the Kirifuda Clutch as Shirai was halfway out the door. Shirai slammed the door behind herself, allowing Baszler to tumble to the outside and retain her title.

After the match, Shirai seemingly blamed LeRae for the loss and destroyed LeRae with a chair. Officials took their time removing LeRae from the cage as tonight's tapings ended.

I've highlighted what's clearly the most important thing. 

EDIT

DAY TWO TAPING RESULTS

Spoiler

- Io Shirai made her entrance with new music and strobe lights. Wearing all black, she stood in the ring to soak in the booing from the crowd before saying she doesn't need friends and she doesn't need any of us.

- Matt Riddle defeated Arturo Ruas

Excellent realistic match with the two working a Bloodsport style before Riddle won with a knee strike and mounted fists for the stoppage.

After the match, Killian Dain attacked and destroyed Riddle, even putting Riddle through the stage.

- Kushida defeated Apollo Crews

Huge ovation for the returning Crews. The match had great action, with Kushida reversing a superplex into the Hoverboard Lock for the win.

- NXT Champion Adam Cole came out for an in-ring segment and implied that he would be offering a title match to the person coming up on the tron. He showed a video of Johnny Gargano giving a replica title to a man named Twan Tucker.

Cole brought Tucker out, but Tucker said that he wasn't here alone. Gargano then made his way out and he brawled with Cole all over Full Sail.

- NXT Tag Team Champions The Street Profits defeated Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch to retain their titles

The Street Profits retained with a big spinebuster and a frog splash. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish then made their way to the ramp to indicate their interest in the titles.

- Gargano and Cole brawled their way out from the back and fought in the ring, with Gargano applying the Gargano Escape on Cole before referees broke it up.

- Jordan Myles (formerly known as ACH) defeated Angel Garza (formerly Garza Jr.) in a Breakout tournament semifinal match

Myles advanced to the finals with a bridging German suplex. 

- Bianca Belair defeated Xia Li

Belair hit the Kiss of Death to win.

- North American Champion Velveteen Dream entered for an in-ring segment. He tried to talk down Roderick Strong, who then joined him in the ring and they went back and forth. Pete Dunne then made his return to NXT. Dunne immediately went for Strong's hand to crack his fingers before looking toward Dream and his title.

- Io Shirai defeated Kacy Catanzaro by DQ

Candice LeRae ran in with a chair immediately and sent Shirai away.

- Damian Priest defeated Keith Lee

This was a hard-fought big man match. Priest survived a pounce before hitting his Roll of the Dice finish

- Tyler Breeze defeated Jaxson Ryker (w/ Wesley Blake and Steve Cutler)

The Forgotten Sons all attacked Breeze after, which brought out Fandango to make the save. The crowd went wild and celebrated to the Breezango music.

- Cameron Grimes (formerly Trevor Lee) defeated Bronson Reed (formerly Jonah Rock) in a Breakout tournament semifinal match

Malcolm Bivens (the former Stokely Hathaway) was scouting this match at ringside. Grimes won with his leaping double stomp.

- NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler and Mia Yim did an in-ring segment to build up their title match, which was officially announced for TakeOver: Toronto over SummerSlam weekend.

- Riddle was on his way to the ring but was destroyed by Dain and thrown into the stairs.

- Kushida defeated Jeff Parker

Kushida submitted him with the Hoverboard Lock.

- William Regal officiated a contract signing between The Street Profits and O'Reilly & Fish. The Street Profits will defend their Tag Team titles against O'Reilly & Fish at TakeOver.

- Shane Thorne defeated Joaquin Wilde

Thorne picked up the win with a running kick.

- Pete Dunne defeated Roderick Strong

This was a well-paced match that got plenty of time. Dunne survived everything Strong had before getting the submission with joint manipulation on Strong's hand.

Following the match, Velveteen Dream tried to attack Dunne from behind but got caught. Strong then let them both know that tonight meant nothing and he would still take the North American title at TakeOver.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

This is a spoiler thread and can't get the spoiler tag on mobile, but anyway, I saw Pete Dunne at Full Sail, but he wasn't involved with the show, which makes me hope he will be involved on tonights show.

Love the tournament idea, but man if anything shows how bloated of a roster WWE (and NXT in general has) it's that they're adding THOSE 8 guys on top of everyone who is already there fighting to get airtime without really getting rid of anyone to make room. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

I mentioned this back in the monthly thread,

Spoiler

but the Io loss and heel turn disappoints me somewhat. I get why it happened with Shayna's run screwing things up for the heel side of the women's division, but its still disappointing to see. I'm thinking at this point Mia Yim or Candice gets built up to take out Shayna in Toronto while Io beats the other in the under card. I'm just curious if they have Io win the belt in November or try to give whoever is champ in Yim or Candice a decent run before dropping the belt.

Guest Edwin
5 hours ago, CSC said:

Love the tournament idea, but man if anything shows how bloated of a roster WWE (and NXT in general has) it's that they're adding THOSE 8 guys on top of everyone who is already there fighting to get airtime without really getting rid of anyone to make room. 

Regal himself said they have so many talent on the roster they can't give everyone air time and that's why they are having this tournament.

Also, based on reactions and performance alone -- I'd say Garza should win this.

Edit: Also during Garza's entrance, he faked a high five at Kyle aka @FLWrestlingFan and Kyle full swung to high five him. It was hilarious.

Edited by Edwin

Man I don't know if I can take another gargano vs Cole match. The brawl at the tapings was fun but gargano was getting booed.

Out of everyone at the taping, Garza impressed me the most. That guy is going to be a champ in NXT. He's got it if he can speak even a little English.

Heel io is outstanding. Her interview took like five minutes to start cause people wouldn't stop booing. It was great. Her new theme rules too 

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to NXT TAPING SPOILERS - 6/19 - 8/7/19

So it sounds like the Takeover TO 2 card is:

• Cole/Gargano III for the NXT title
  • Dream/Strong/Dunne for the North American title
  • Baszler/Yim for the Women's title
  • Street Profits/Undisputed Era for the Tag Titles
  • Dain/Riddle

This all sounds like a hell of a card. 

• Like 3

Only thing that bums me out about the tapings is that Kushida is getting the god push that I feel like Keith Lee should receive. It's rare when NXT fucks up a dude who should be a star. Maybe some of that has to do with Lee being on the shelf for a bit, but doing the job to Punishment just makes me think he's in that Ohno role now.

I would say that the big guys need love to, but we're getting Dain back, so I can't complain too much.

• Like 1

if the Breakout tournament was created 2 months ago, Keith Lee would have definitely won  it.   Unless they put Kushida in it but he still would have been in a finals match.  Unfortunately he came in around the time of Matt Riddle and Donovan Dijakovic    

NXT biggest problem is that they just have way too much talent.   And it also hurt that good deal of solid main roster talent is now on the show like Gulak, Breeze, and Dain because they have nothing for them on their shows.   

Edited by hammerva

56 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Takeover card being almost entirely Undisputed Era means I can go ahead and check out until they do the call-ups they've been holding off on for way too long. 

Especially since they start this round of tapings pushing that UE is going for all the belts.

So there definitely could be a scenario where UE holds all the belts and is in War Games (again) meaning Takeover Chicago would only have the women's title being defended

Guest Edwin

Not mentioned in the spoilers, but Thorne maybe feuding with whoever wins the tournament from what I could grasp. He stormed the commentary booth and took Mauro's headset after the ACH match and his match was against Wilde who was also in the tournament. I'm guessing they've recorded some stuff backstage or something we didn't see, but it does seem that way.

I don't see Mia beating Shayna for the title although it would be great to see.  Problem is that since Io is now a heel and Bianca losing so much you figure she is moving up soon that leaves the title picture extremely bare.  I guess Candice would be next in line unless they have plans for someone new

That main event match does nothing to make Gargano look good.  Last time they did the match we had the goofy Gargano Angry Birds technique and then getting beat because you handcuffed a guy standing up.   

On 6/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

• Dain/Riddle

The triple threat for the NXT North American Championship between the Velveteen Dream, Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong is the match I'm most interested in then Matt Riddle vs. Killian Dain. Surprised Shayna Baszler has held the NXT Women's Title for the length she has. At some point we figured Kairi Sane, Bianca Belair or Io Shirai would have ended her second reign by now.

Edited by The Natural

Guest Edwin
On 6/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

• Dain/Riddle

Pretty sure Grimes/Myles is on the card as Myles was shouting "I'm going to TakeOver" after he beat Garza.

Also, iirc Regal announced the finals would be taking place at TakeOver.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

The triple threat for the NXT North American Championship between the Velveteen Dream, Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong is the match I'm most interested in then Matt Riddle vs. Killian Dain. Surprised Shayna Baszler has held the NXT Women's Title for the length she has. At some point we figured Kairi Sane, Bianca Belair or Io Shirai would have ended her second reign by now.

Honestly, I think the mistake made was having Kairi end Shayna's first reign too early. Evolution or even War Games would have worked better with Shayna exiting NXT afterwards. I never thought Bianca was going to end it. She was too much a heel/tweener even with the love from the fans. Io really should have ended Shayna's second reign already. Kind of figured that might not happen though when they chose to build a 4-way over Io/Shayna for Takeover New York.

• Like 1