DVDVR Message Board

You've Got A Friend - Raw - 6/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

32 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Is Raw beyond saving? What could they do to realistically fix things so that people would  a) want to watch, b) look forward to watching, and c) actually enjoy watching?

As someone who actually doesn't hate Raw but recognizes it has shortcomings, I think the show:

1) Needs consistency

2) Needs to change the formula

That may seem like a contradiction, but no. 

The 24/7 title is doing well because it's not the status quo. It's different. Fresh. Offering something that isn't featured in any of the other stories. But it's also consistent in keeping R-Truth, Carmella, Drake Maverick, and a motley crew around it. A story unique to itself but with wrestlers who we know or have quickly endeared themselves to us.

I thought last night's show was mostly inoffensive. A decent episode that moved the stories along. But why they haven't figured out to stop killing the room with 20-minute promos at the start of every show, I don't know. It's a tried routine, not to mention Rollins as the babyface doesn't have the skillset to carry the load. Not saying he can't cut a promo. But he's not a good true-blue baby and it reflects in his talking. They're starting to slide him more toward being conniving/shades of gray with using the chair and low blows. That's better suited to his strengths. But again, don't spend so much 'dead' time upfront that some fans leave before they see the end result.

To me, Raw is like a novelist who needs a strong editor. The material is there. It can work. I think it does fine more than most here do. But the show needs someone who can trim the fat, leaving room for new stories/wrestlers to get time. This needs to be a regular process, not a flash in the pan fix. You gotta give them the reps, both in the ring and on the mic. I listened to Corbin's promo last night and thought it was one of his stronger moments. But that only happened because he gets on TV every week, the practice is there. The same needs to happen for more than the 15-20 wrestlers who know they have secured spots.

• Like 6

The thing that would have to happen to actually fix raw, wont happen.  Basically. Remove Vince from anything on the creative side.  Full stop.

Use the writing team they have to plot character arcs and story beats.  Less long form promos and more short to the point affairs.  Make use of multi person matches to advance multiple stories.  Recap the c shows to drum up intrest instead of recapping what just happened five minutes ago. 

Treat your audience like you like them and want them back.  Not like you hate them and yourself because you want to be Hollywood and not wrasslin.

• Like 4

I was playing dead by daylight as a survivor during this. First three games ALL Leatherface ripping us a new one. Finally broke down and bought him for myself and couldn’t have been happier running bitches down whilst squealing like a mad man. 

As for Raw. Shane has change the channel heat right now about as big as I have ever seen. I would rather see Horace Hogan, David Flair, Greg Gagne, dickhead normal eyes era HBK,  Starrcade 97 era Hogan, Vince Russo talking about how great he is bro, Katie Vick Part 2 maskless Mayor Kane actually fucks the dummy this time, A new Yeti/Mummy(why the fuck not?). 

Anything but Shane McMahon on my TV ? anymore PLEASE. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just going by @Zartan's post, I think "X-Pac heat" should be re-named "Shane-O-Mac heat".

The shame is that I felt the Shane / Miz program was pretty strong through to Mania...and then Shane just hung around as not just an onscreen character, not just as a semi in-ring competitor, but as a full fledged have-a-back-and-Forth-match-with-Roman competitor. Which is ridiculous and/or offensive depending on your point of view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Custos said:

The shame is that I felt the Shane / Miz program was pretty strong through to Mania...and then Shane just hung around as not just an onscreen character, not just as a semi in-ring competitor, but as a full fledged have-a-back-and-Forth-match-with-Roman competitor. Which is ridiculous and/or offensive depending on your point of view.

It was. Miz got over huge, Shane was a scumbag, Miz beat the holy hell out of him... Then Shane won the match and it's just fucking sucked ever since.

• Like 1